Academy of Art University? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi,

I know im a few months late into the thread but im thinking about attending AAU this fall for bachelors in Motion Pictures & Television... ive researched the school on sooo many websites and also seen both positive and negative responses. what i wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the accreditation... I heard that if i grad with a bachelors degree from AAU most univ dont accept my degree because of the schools accreditation... anyone know anythin about it??

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw by most schools i meant for later on in grad school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokeh View Post
    hi,

I know im a few months late into the thread but im thinking about attending AAU this fall for bachelors in Motion Pictures & Television... ive researched the school on sooo many websites and also seen both positive and negative responses. what i wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the accreditation... I heard that if i grad with a bachelors degree from AAU most univ dont accept my degree because of the schools accreditation... anyone know anythin about it??
    I know nothing about the Motion Picture department, but I do know that the school IS ACCREDITED now. You were probably reading old links/critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by henni View Post
    yay! it's so great to read something positive like that after all of the negative reviews on the school. i was trying to ignore those && make my own opinion but i was getting worried. now i feel reassured =]

anyways, i'm going to AAU in the fall for IAD ^^ i visited the school in the summer && met with my advisor && i thought it all seemed amazing

i'm not sure if you'll read this since you posted a month ago but if you do i have some questions .. (if you don't mind answering ) are there any other teachers you would recommend other than pertcheck && jaye? or any that i should stay away from?

i'm pretty nervous about the foundation classes since i have no background in drawing or anything .. i can do drafting, floor plans, etc. but as for human anatomy or something i might as well draw stick figures am i screwed?
    hey henni! sorry for the incredible delay... hopefully im not too late to answer your questions.

firstly, WOOO! congrats on choosing AAU! ill most likely be bumping into you in a few months haha.

in regards to your question about my choice of teachers.. for your 1st semester, you cant go wrong with vera for materials, dave for modelmaking and heather for conceptual.

As for the foundation class 'sketching for communications', hahaha you are not screwed. You definitely should practice honing your sketching skills early during summer though since you have no background in freehand drawing. *cough* youtube *cough* Im not gonna lie, its hard for a lot of people. But if you are dedicated and practice you will do just fine! just dont put the pencil down during summer! try to focus on understanding how light affects an object oh and dont worry toooo much on human anatomy... dont get me wrong, its important, but everything is touched on upon briefly for a week or so, along with other subjects like perspective and story boards.

but yes, sketching is verrrrryy important in interior design. in real life scenarios, you may have a client who is looking at building design you rendered digitally on your computer. they tell you this and that needs to be changed.. and want to see options.

you need to know how to freaking draw on the spot to visually communicate a solution the client could understand.

god sorry, im just rambling now. if you have annnny other questions feel free to email me at jonathan_ikan@hotmail.com or better yet find me on facebook hah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Has anyone here attented the online course they offer for illustration.
    And since this thread was started 5 years ago, has the digital illustration aspect been upted yet?

Also, reading through this thread, I got a little confussed about the ground course. Does everybody got to do them/ get to do them? Because what I got from this thread is that if you have a portfolio you don't have to take the ground course. If that is correct (I feel it isn't lol) does any portfolio count, like personal website or deviantart portfolio?

Thanks.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I believe the Foundations course can be passed with a strong portfolio.

I've taken one online course that was in either illustration dept. or fine arts - it was Heads and Hands II. I got a great deal out of it but you have to be really self motivated and self regulating to manage it.

Good luck - I think it is an excellent school.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

At the intersection of Fate and Free Will
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If they are still offering Stephen Perkins's Ecorche class as an online class, take it.

Only take it if Stephen Perkins is the teacher; he's the only one that would be worth the money.

Keep in mind, I've never taken an online course at AAU; I took this class live, so I cannot say much about the particulars.

I took his ecorche class back in 2004 when he was still teaching there, but he was fired for some stupid reason, which betrays a lack of taste on the part of the administration.

If you take his class, you will learn your anatomy. Probably good if it's online, as you can rewatch parts that he went by too fast in the live class (and he did go too fast, with too much good information for a single human brain to handle at 8 am)

FWIW This was my first sculpture I had ever done in my life; this is a good class.

Attached Images Attached Images      

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Fung For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is pretty amazing for a first sculpture. What program are you in? I'm thinking about attending AAU and now because of your post I'd like to get into Stephen Perkins' class!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

personal enrichment in AAU

Hi , I'm a foreigner thinking of taking some art classes in US .
    Does AAU allows people with degree in Animation to selectively take up art classes without having to go through art irrelevant general classes ?
    Am I able to choose interested classes and finish them in one year rather than having to spend few years in their degree courses?

Tx
    eve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i am in my second semester of the illustration program, doing my foundations, and i have improved tremendously so far.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

At the intersection of Fate and Free Will
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrage View Post
    That is pretty amazing for a first sculpture. What program are you in? I'm thinking about attending AAU and now because of your post I'd like to get into Stephen Perkins' class!
    Actually, the top two are of my first sculpture ever: the 3rd photo is of my 2nd sculpture ever. :-)

I hadn't been to this thread in a while. Silentrage, if you are still reading, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, Mr. Perkins no longer teaches at AAU; I think there was a clash of personalities with the department head, or something, I'm not certain who is teaching this class right now, or if it is taught at all.

However, they use to have Mr. Perkins's ecorche class as an online class that was recorded back in 2005; if they still have that I would highly recommend it.

I don't really think this class is worth taking with any other teacher, but I leave that to your own judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by eveyap View Post
    Hi , I'm a foreigner thinking of taking some art classes in US .
    Does AAU allows people with degree in Animation to selectively take up art classes without having to go through art irrelevant general classes ?
    Am I able to choose interested classes and finish them in one year rather than having to spend few years in their degree courses?
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I have not attended AAU since 2005, and even then it was as a part time student.

My main coursework was as a history student at UC Berkeley; I was only at AAU for "personal enrichment" so I was given a lot of leeway in choosing my classes.

Keep in mind, this was back in 2004/2005 so this may have changed.

If I am understanding your question, you want to take these classes for personal enrichment, separate from your degree.

This should be okay, but you really should talk with someone AAU.

As useless as the academic advisors are at AAU, you probably should talk with them first, then talk with the department head of the Animation department about anything else.

The department head is also the person you would want to talk to should you want to skip uninteresting prerequisite classes. Skipping prerequisites is a little easier as to do as a personal enrichment student; the degree students have more bureaucratic barriers to deal with.

Also, I knew a lot of degree students who took their general ed at community colleges; you just have to make certain they are transferable. So, it is not necessary to take the irrelevant general ed classes at AAU (especially at $2000 per class, or whatever it is these days).

I hope that helped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 3