venetian scene
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: venetian scene

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

venetian scene

Hello everybody,

I've just discovered conceptart.org. There's a lot of beautifull work on it. So here's my first post to even it out a bit. The big guy is a character i'm developping. He's made of paper strips, so that would explain his flatness. The idea was to have him stand in a shaft of light in a huge room of a venetian palazzo. All c&C are very welcome.

B

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one! I would expect the shadows inside the jacked to block all of the light from that strong source to to be almost black. If it is meant as atmosphere/smoke in between that creates this bunde then just apply darker shadowing around his head, shoulders and right arm. The guy doesn't really feel like paper strips just yet. Maybe you should look up some refs or tear some paper at home. I really like the way you did the face of the guy to the left. He's lit from below like it's the light bouncing from the table. The cup in front can use some lighting aswell because now it sucks my eye in there like a black hole. Much potential this one, keep going!

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting idea. One can make a paper tricorn ..um by crumpling.. Damn if you really want ref I'll have to show you it's hard to describe PM me
    look at refs of Venice. you might want to make the shadows cool and the light warm. the light in venice is so warm its almost physically touchable. like syrup. Check the venetian Watercolors of John Singer Sargent

Id really like to hear more of this idea and story it is intriguing
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest setting the hat and mask lower on the head, it looks floaty at the moment. Can you tell us more about HOW he's constructed of paper strips? Do you mean layer upon layer of paper? Just one big sheet per surface? Overlapping? end to end? They can all be made visually interesting, I would just like to know so as to better nag you. Thanks! I like the idea and your work so far tho, can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice feel. I think the architectural detail in the background is excellent. I'm not sure the centaur sculpture adds to the composition. The main character would have more menace without it, but maybe that wasn't the point. The bowl on the table should maybe have a slight edge highlight to make it look more 3D. I'm not sure of the interactions here - the figure seems quite creepy in its form and stance and yet the guy in the chair isn't reacting at all, either in a good or bad way, perhaps you could explain that a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the replies everybody. He is made of a single sheet of thick paper or parchment and was brought to life by burning a heart into his chest. The mask he wears is just a way to be able to hold up his hat. His head is a long strip which he curls under his hat. He's a member of the venetion army, an officer on leave. The whole story is situated in the middle 18th Century. He has features painted on his head, wich enable him to speak hear and talk. I have loads of sketches to clarify this. I'll post them later. Here's a first update on the scene. I wanted the cup to be the center of attention. There should be something in there which has great power on the paper-man. Something he strongly desires. I'm not sure what though.

B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything else is awesome, love the old man and statue, but what's a big negativity about the piece to me is the way off anatomy of the venetian man's face. It's way too long! Redo it if you will and this'll make a gorgeous piece, methinks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes, redo, OR... embrace a more abstract style for him and really play up the paper aspect of our hero(?)! Give him more curls and arcs to really showcase his papery goodness! 'cause right now, his hands look somewhat papery, but the rest of him still looks very 3D, albeit a pale 3D.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The size and spacial relationships between the two characters and the room are way off. It looks like paperdoll man is floating inside of the plane of the table, while the seated character is too close to the floor. I'd recommend zooming out so that you can see the entire room, working out exactly where each of them is in relationship to the floor and furniture, then cropping back in.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree with Elwell. He looks very 3d at the moment, except for his hands. If I'm understanding correctly, hes just one flat piece of paper? I would suggest working his body out to make him feel more flat. I think it would really help us to see your preliminary sketches. Give us a better idea of how he is made.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again thanks for the enthusiasm. Some of the attched images could maybe shed some light on the paper-man. Maybe these explain the long head and off anatomy of the face? He is made out of paper but he wears an standard issue uniform. He is also a lot larger than an average man. I think maybe by moving the table more to the left, i could make the different spatial planes more clear?

B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES! That's exactly what I was thinking of! I love him! I especially love the softness of his boots, they really look empty, well empty of a solid foot. Now this explains the clothes, he still needs to cover himself somehow I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Start. I also like Gumby man that kind of woodcut art style. Really nice stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.