Sketchbook: Let's Get to Work

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Let's Get to Work

Here is my first page of Sketches. I am working on a lot of different stuff at the moment. I am currently doing a correspondance course with Joe Kubert's School of art, so if you see Cowboys that is for that. Then I am working on some roughs for my portfolio. Also working on some concepts for a comic book idea I have kicking around. Any advice people want to give will be welcomed with open arms.
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice ,they look good =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fishy Fishy Fish

Here is another for tonight
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches for Today

From Ballet to Monsters, I tried to push myself today. I really have had a problem in finding the quality time needed to get some really good work done, but I am alway trying to find ways to fine tune my skills. Today I wanted to work from photo ref (Ballet) and then I went to James Jeans site and saw what he did for Nike with little red riding hood and thought it would be fun to play with a modern red hanging with her homies. I'm not much for monsters but I really enjoyed playing with some ideas. It felt good to draw straight from my head. If anyone can give suggustions I would love to hear them. i also want to say thank you Zebzfree & King Cayote for all your help and advice. You guys have pushed me in new directions and made me look deep in the mirro.
    GOOD Drawing to all...
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back to Work

1st up we have out of work frank. It was a concept for a challenge my friends and I are having. It is all in good fun. The concept idea was to take an old movie monster and put him out of work in the movie industry and working somewhere else.
    Let's Get to Work

Next up is a concept for a children's book Idea I am working on. Kai the Samurai
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Testing

It has been forever since I have updated and the reason is I found I computer dumb. As I get older I realize that my skills behind a keyboard are deminishing. Good times, well here are two sketches I am working on with cavemen and a picture I did for my wife.
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Koistar,
    You are the first person I’ve ever known who has tried Joe Kubert's School of Art. I am curious to know what the experience has been like. What sort of assignments are in the curriculum, and how do you get feedback on them?

If you are interested, I have a teaching thread over in another subforum. Click “Concept Art 101” in my sig if you want to check it out.

Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The last cave girl

Here is the final image I did for my corespondance course. I am pretty happy with it. I know there is always more I could do with it, but as a whole I think it isn't bad. The only thing you can't see, due to my scanner was the title. It did Stacked circles with letters inside. I had three small circles with "the" in them and four large circles with "cave" in them. Oh crap!!!! I just realized when I did a preview of the post, my last little dino on the right is missing teeth.... UMMMM he is old...Very very Old.
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GhostRider

With a movie around the corner. A local comic shop is having a contest for ghost rider drawings. So here is my final rough draft. I went through about 4 or 5 ideas, and then in the end this is the a combination of a couple of them. I need to transfer it to a larger sheet of paper and then ink it, but this is what the general idea of it is.
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to work on my shading and texture. I read an amazing book on Figure drawing by Ryder. It was a good read with a lot of good information. from just the first couple of sketches I can see improvement. Here are some portraits I did.
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is that time again, Maybe I'll wait a year or more next time. I actually had a lot going on recently so, that that is part of the reason I am slacking in the update department. but here are some sketches. I'm going to be working on some finished pieces soon, so hopefully I will have something more soon. Let me know what you think, thanks.
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, man! I didn't realize you'd been updating your SB on here man. I've missed some updates! The Valentine's Day update is my fav among all of these actually. Your lines seem confident and fairly accurate really. You really should work on more of these sort of "life" drawings. Try to understand the form better and better. I'm thinking of getting into a boat load of studies myself. These really help lock images into your head I think. But you can't get them out unless you draw them first.

The new updates are really nice too. Definitely diggin' on the Turtle drawings. Heh. I always thought a great way to develop anatomy skills would be to draw a ton of Ninja turtles in various poses and stuff. Something to consider. They're easy enough to draw. Maybe try to redesign some? A guy on here, Rusty, redesigned the Turtles for a Thunderdome and they turned out really awesome. I'm also noticing that in a lot of your pieces you're really not using perspective or even faking it very well. I have this problem too and it starts making things look flat. Studies could help this too. Try drawing some environments maybe. I see it in the picture of the boy in the field quite a bit.

The last drawing is pretty nice and has a fairy/James Jean look. You might want to push this one further. Render! You never render! The anatomy looks pretty good too. Your skills are definitely improving, man. Keep pushing on and know we'll all be here for ya! Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crazy fun for me

Ok so I have been really busy working... Well not working on the things I should be, but I have been drawing to say the least. I have really been trying to work on my figures more. I decided to pick a body part every week and work on it. First I started with the hand. This week is the arms. I am trying to start somewhere I know I am week and build off it. So with the hand it went better then I thought, and building into the arm has helped. Another thing I have been doing is warming up with tracing the figure before I go into it. It really helps me see the lines. I spend about 20 to 30 minutes tracing the body part I want to work on and then I spend about an hour drawing. Then I have been trying to go and draw something fun. Take a look and let me know what you think
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, man... lookin' good! You didn't put everything I saw up here! What's up with that?! The progress is definately evident tho, man so don't give up. Keep trying to see the structure of things. The next step is seeing that structure in an enviroment with perspective... that's where things get really tough. So the more you cram these basics in the better off you'll be. The portrait is nice tho it looks sort of mushy in areas. Bring back your knowledge of skull structure and work from that as well as the image you're working from. Watch your proportions on some of the figures. The one of the Green Arrow dude looks like his head is slightly smaller then his body. You're crusin'. Just give us more studies and more life work, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Settled in Connecticut

I recently just moved to Connecticut and have not had any time until recently to get back into the art. I am finally feeling extremely motivated to get my stuff together and out there. Please check out some of my stuff. I recently started painting. I have hated painting for a while and knew that I had to bite the bullet and get to it. First a piece for a dedication to Ringo. Mike Wieringo is one of my favorite artists and I was sad to hear that he passed away. So I did a painting of the THING. His run of the Fantastic four is one of my favorite runs in Comics. Next I did a painting of a spartan. I was watching 300 and could resist looking through the graphic novel and trying to find my inner Frank Miller, this one is a WIP, I have some more to do to it. Next up another WIP is a fighter. I'm honestly not sure where I was going with him. It really started out as a 90 minute drill of concepting, drawing, inking, and coloring if time allows. I really didn't like the concept, but it was a first, so I gave it the college try. Lastly I have a couple of Anatomy drawings. I plan on being involved on the forums, so I hope to hear back from people and I will look around to give my input.

Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work
    Let's Get to Work

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.