Sketchbook: Sketches, experiments, wips, general dumping ground.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sketches, experiments, wips, general dumping ground.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Sketches, experiments, wips, general dumping ground.

Yup, it's a sketchbook.

Most of my work from the last couple of years has been misplaced/abandoned in college or lost in hard drive disasters (other than a couple of ok lifedrawings it's no loss.) but here's a few survivors and some ancient stuff as a placeholder until I get new work up and running.
    Acrylic

Oil

Charcoal

Pastels/conteh

Acrylics

3D

charcoal/chalk

Oil

Oil

Updates to follow soon hopefully.

Edit: I know we're supposed to use the attachment manager but I can't seem to get the thing to work, so it's Imageshack for now.

Last edited by Flake; October 23rd, 2006 at 08:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some nice stuff going on here waiting to see more soon

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tiny little update
    Daily sketch group

Industrial design

Some quickie heads, trying to get used to the tablet

Painted sketch, still a wip and I'm planning on doing quite a few of these then attempting a bigger, more finished painting once I'm (hopefully) warmed up a bit.

Tinkering with colour ideas in digital while I wait for the thing to dry a bit..I think these will all be largely monochrome paintings- I'll worry about values first then try and get my head around colour.

I got my stroppy scanner working again so back to pencils and stuff for a bit next I think.

Last edited by Flake; October 24th, 2006 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost miseed this update it wasn't here when I looked a couple days ago

anyhow, cool stuff ... those quickie heads with the tablet looks good, painting with the tablet is sooo different than doing it traditionally. The one good thing is that you don't have to wait for it to dry and can undo , but got to work a bit to do blending.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ON, thanks for swinging by my sketch thread again.

The digital vs traditional switch is a total headfuck but I'm trying to get as competent as I can at everything all at once. I'll keep hammering away and hopefully I'll get there..(heh, no-one said this would be easy..)

Onwards!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, these are pretty good! I really like your still lifes, especially. Something about the portraits, though - on several of them the ears are somewhat misshapen. I have a similiar issue - I tend to "fake" the ears instead of really trying to draw them accurately.

And a comment regarding going for competence at everything at once - in my own personal experience, everything I've seen so far has suggested that traditional skill translates easy into digital media but not necessarily vice-versa. Some excellent artists have even suggested that the no-risk realm of digital art weakens the skills needed for rigorous traditional art. I wonder if it wouldn't be more effective to hone the traditional skills to sureness before moving to digital?

I dunno, just thought I'd throw that out there. Good stuff, look foward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Atlantis, cheers for stopping by man.

About the digital/traditional thing my background is almost 100% traditional but I feel like I should really get my head around the digital stuff- I've always been a bit of a computer nerd anyway and it offers a lot of flexibility for messing with things, there's also the issue that if I want to score a job in games, design or related fields I'll need to be comfortable with digi stuff.

I'm still going the other way too though. (if you have a scan at my older stuff, it's about 95% traditional media, that's still by far where I'm most comfy and I suspect it always will be...)
    I think they complement each other really, I find myself trying to apply traditional composition ideas and colour theory to 3d renders and at the same time trying out zany colour schemes digitally for oil paintings knowing that it is, as you said, risk free- I can try anything without trashing the last three hours work.
    Most days, I have Speed or Loomis open in one window and XSI, Max or PS in the other.

Ears- yes, busted, never did like doing them, awkward things that they are..I imagine that I'm subconsciously picking refs, models etc where I can't see them. The woman in quite a few of these (the long suffering Mrs Flake) does have a haircut that covers her ears but I'll still make an effort to practice a few..

Last edited by Flake; October 26th, 2006 at 03:57 AM. Reason: edited to make more sense, expand a bit and to correct typos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yah ears are a pain to do correctly (thought I find doing lips harder), it just requires the same bit of effort as learning to render the other features.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I enjoyed looking through your more finished work.
    Don't let your sketchbook die!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.