Last Man Standing 2 • Round Two • Matches 1-30 (HUGE D/L) - Page 10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    . I didn't ridicule Ursula. don't see anything to laugh about. She spoke her mind, very respected thing. I listened to her arguments. I thought it is not a practical idea. I think it will do more damage than good. Ursula is very nice though. .
    P.S. Just I can't think how it will be working. This piece is almost 6, ok solid 5. but another one sure deserved 7?... It is imposibble to measure feelings. It is "I like it" or I don't like it" or" I love it very much". Which in the end means you give it your vote or zero.

Last edited by sve; October 2nd, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    Match 30. Well you know I'm gonna be biased about this one, but c'mon. While I spent 2-3 days on my piece of cliche, ill-colored, uninspired crap, it's still more than the few hours that was spent by the winner. I received zero votes for my piece, and at least it has fairly proper anatomy and some detail. The winner didn't quite finish coloring his and the anatomy is so wonky, I'm just not sure of how this got 5 of 5 votes with a big, glaring, white background and glowing leaves? Kryptonite? At least give me 1 tiny vote for completing mine and drawing all of those tentacle suckers.

Criticism is fine Ursula, but I like how you stuck in the whole I-can't-believe-my-opponent-won-my-match-mine-is-so-much-better whiny bullshit in an attempt to simultaneously discount your opponent's and the judges' credibility. Classy!

I know that you think you are on to something with your rating system idea, but I hate to break it to you that it's just as subjective as picking which piece out of the three is the best image. You absolutely knew that this was judged subjectively and it all comes down to opinions, but these are opinions of industry professionals that I and the rest of the community trust whose work speaks volumes of their ability to take on such a task. Each match has multiple judges, and if you did not receive one vote out of 5 maybe, just maybe, your opponent's piece wasn't as bad as you thought it was.

Boo hoo hoo, you didn't win a goddamn online art contest that was run purely for fun. And what a travesty that the pieces you thought should win didn't! By god, I better contact you soon so that you can judge all of the upcoming matches all by your lonesome.

Criticism is fine and encouraged. You attempting to tear down artists and judges alike because they didn't match your highness' expectations is just plain fucking sad.

While I know this doesn't apply to the majority of you as you all know this is all about the process and particiaption, I might as well say it. If you are the type of person to become upset over losing in a trivial online art contest, do yourself a favor and don't sign up to participate. I'd say with 1 winner out of 271, the odds are pretty well stacked against you.

This is fun! Should we just shut this thing down? Feelings might be hurt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cody, may I say? I don't think she wanted to discredit anyone. It is better to allow people say their thougths and listen to them and then do what you think is right. because it is ... strong position. I think she is just honest. You are too. I love Last Man Standing. Lets continue this huge fun !
    But people are not robots, they get attached sometimes. it is not a bad thing. She just loved some pieces very much.
    Hope you will not get upset over my words. I think you both are very sweet, loyal to CA.org people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to put my neck on the block here and say that I am flabbergasted that Magicgoo's entry didn't go on or even rate with the judges. Whilst I object to Magicgoo's public complaint (after all, thunderdome is just a big game, life goes on and hopefully you got useful practice out of it), it cannot have gone unnoticed that images like robot's entry are routinely rejected from the weekly activity forums as unfinished. IMHO robot keeps better work in his sketchbook.

From the round one thread: "Keep in mind that the goal of the competition is to create a full-fledged illustration every round, so you'll be judged on your technique, concept, designs, and narrative."

This is what I construe as a call for completeness. Correct me if I'm wrong. If indeed this criterion was kept in mind by the judges it certainly isn't expressed in the result of match 30.

Thankyou for hearing me out. Now, deride away if you think it's justified.

PS thankyou for your crits sve, justin and anyone else i may have missed out. I think i learned a lot from this pic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a look at Bob Peak's movie poster work, and you'll realize that the unfinished look doesn't necessarily mean the piece is unfinished. On a competitive level, go through a Spectrum annual and you'll see a simple line drawing of a single figure by Frank Cho getting a full page while a highly detailed massive battle between two large armies gets the lower right hand corner on a different page. Sure, it's subjective which piece should have gotten the full page (or have even gotten in at all), but you have to realize that with enough trained professionals looking through these, there's at least some method to the madness, and that there can be a distinct, almost palpable charm in something as simple as a gestural line to describe a leg, over a highly detailed (possibly overworked) but unnecessary fourtieth soldier. So going back to match 30, rendering all those tentacles does not entitle someone to win, or get at least one vote, over something that simply looks like it took less effort. And I'm not trying to kick you while you're down Ursula. Just to bring my example around full circle, I did not get into Spectrum at all this year, and I know I'll be pissed when I see it come out this November.... so believe me, I can relate to your frustration.... but I still respect the pros involved, and I'm inspired to work that much harder without putting a bitter taste in the mouths of those who did advance or succeed. And that's what this should be about in the first place; being inspired to work harder and grow.

p.s. Thanks Justin O.

Last edited by Mike Dutton; October 2nd, 2006 at 04:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing you guys need to keep in mind is that just because a piece got 5 out of 5 votes, and another didnt get any, doesnt mean that the judges were trying to tell you that your piece was a lot worse or a lot better than the other one. The judges arent working together. They might have all thought it was really close and only coincidentally all chose the same piece. Its 5 different judges. Not one judge handing out 5 points.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that I've slept over it, and thought a bit, I don't think that point rating would be cool, because it would deresponsabilise the judges ("let's put 10 to all those great entries")... with the current system, they have to make a hard choice, and this is better I think, and as cody said, there will be more judges now, so more sensibilities and different points of view...

I think the only change that should be made is what Aleksi suggested, hiding the names.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the only change that should be made is what Aleksi suggested, hiding the names.
    I fully agree on that.

Magicgoo, have you looked and tried to understand your opponents piece?
    Yes indeed, it's colorless, but it enhances the piece I think.
    A guy dressed up till his hair in black and white, comes out of the colorless
    city and walks towards colorfull nature and in the mean time getting
    rid of his colorless clothes, freeing his mind.

I think his piece is well thought out and reflects 'the escape' well.

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me match 30 seemed like a tough call if I was judging; a full illustration, good composition, but a few anatomy errors, vs. 7 drawn out figures (even if he had to copy/paste the heads) with very good anatomy, muscalture etc., but with some pretty stale colors, I would choose the latter. More because I would rather look at some awesome figure drawings in black and white over 1 full colored illustration-

And Ursula, it isn't like the judges knew how much time went into each piece. I was pretty pissed that I lost first round (but not suprised), but now I am really pissed that the winner of that match didn't even SUBMIT this round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're all entirely entitled to disagree.

When the bashing starts, however, hmmm....

So far I've been sarcastically called "classy." So let me just interpret that as you calling me trashy, Cody. And in the same post, I've received this:

Boo hoo hoo, you didn't win a goddamn online art contest that was run purely for fun. And what a travesty that the pieces you thought should win didn't! By god, I better contact you soon so that you can judge all of the upcoming matches all by your lonesome... Criticism is fine and encouraged. You attempting to tear down artists and judges alike because they didn't match your highness' expectations is just plain fucking sad.
    For stating my opinion, I've been indirectly told not to enter any more of these contests. How about if you can't react well to disagreements, then don't post on the internet? Because, instead of 271 contenders, you've got 6 billion. I am not "plain fucking sad," Cody. But, thanks for your opinion anyway.

Sve, if art is not countable, then is 1 of 2 pieces entirely discountable? As in, does it deserve no recognition of its existence at all? I believe the rating system would be more helpful simply because it acts as a critique in itself. It places a number on how much or how little you need to improve your art. It is not designed to give a point to the people whose "feelings are hurt" as Coro said. I also didn't say for the general public to judge, Coro. The ratings would be for the pro judges' use.

Also, this system would not for just work the LMS. Look at it this way: Let's say there's a Tdome of 50 people. And the prize for the top 3 winners is a paintbrush or a hug or a BJ or a signed sketch or something. Whatever: Just imagine that the starter of the Tdome is actually giving away 3 prizes. Well, with the poll voting, you can only give your vote to one person, so in theory, one person could receive 100 votes and 49 others would receive zero. Or, if there are 10 judges, they might all give their 1 vote to 1 person. How is that an accurate contest, especially if there needed to be a top 3?

Trιs Cutι Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm truly grateful for this event and the effort everyone involved put in it.

what I wish for is to see closing comments within each group of competitors regarding why a piece got chosen instead of the other ones. this would clarify how the judges think and probably bring some satisfaction to the dissatisfied, but most of all we would learn from it

that along with aleksi's idea would be great.

Last edited by DARYL; October 2nd, 2006 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Firstly, I'd just like to say a big congrats to everyone for doing such amazing work. And nice one to JTJ - keep going, son.

With regard to Teh Controversy, I have to say that there is always a bit of disappointment, and I never feel that every single deserved winner is judged as such. Coro, I salute you. True sportsmanship.

Those of us from countries where the Beautiful Game is celebrated will know that this is part of life, however. There's No Way In Hell Jens Lehmann should have been sent off in the Champions League final last year, it should have been a yellow card and an allowed goal. And without that, Arsenal may well have lifted the trophy. But the point is that our sports aren't engineered like American sports, where the better team is pretty well guaranteed to win. In our way of doing things, there's a hell of a lot of room for controversy. And it makes the passion of the game about 1000 times greater!

In other words, I'm sorry to say this (and I'm sorry I lost). But this is essentially a game. There are tactics and there is injustice. And it makes you want to kick everyone's ass even more next time.

So congrats to the winners and good luck to the departed.

Rock on
    DC

**edit PS: I actually think the points outta ten or percentage idea or whatever is a great one. It would maybe force it to be a bit less about dynamism and impact and a bit more balanced. Not griping about anything, just think the Goo is onto something.**

Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    so much drama....keep it constructive k?

previous tdomes were judged on a points scale for different categories.

idea development
    technical craftsmanship
    design

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The judges are free to give comments and crits on each piece, but requiring them to do that would not be a good idea at all. They're volunteering their time, and they're busy people. Remember how long it took to get the results for Round 1? That only involved them picking a winner for each round. Making them comment on each and every piece would make it take months before we got any results.

It sucks to spend all this time on a piece and not get any sort of feedback, but we can't rely on the judges to provide that. The Thunderdome is not a good place to get indepth crits, but luckily we have people like sve.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ursula, I understand your concern very much, but it will not change much in my opinion. Because I'm pretty sure that idea to compare art work is absurd. For me, it is.
    But ... if we want to do some contest just for fun and enjoyment and sportsmanship we accept some rules, just for the sake of order and with purpose to move on, not to stand forever on one spot with 271 contestants.

The rules are not perfect and they don't do justice to the art in my mind, because this justice is subjective for everyone. It is just a system to pick up some artwork from offered with some principle as a base. In our case, just eyes and taste of by everyone respected people who have a lot of experience in this field.

It is like in figure skating, when they rate the performance according to how they skate technically, literraly if they did all the jumps and acrobatic numbers and did them correctly, well it is understandable, you can measure and compare that. But marks for the artistism, beauty of dance, well, it is laughable for me, because it is just matter of taste. And shortly put it is bogus rating, in my opinion.
    I do appreciate you speaking your mind, because it is interesting to hear other person opinion. Hope you are doing great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edited. Might as well leave this spicy stuff off the forums.

Each judge judges based on the factors that Manley just listed. You all want a point system to subjectively quantify each dimension of a piece of artwork, fine. It was planned for future rounds with larger pairings anyway. But consider this... you try rallying a large panel of professionals who have busy enough schedules as it is and tell them to judge 271 pieces of artwork, each requiring more in-depth judging for multiple categories and to type out all of their results before sending them back. Not going to happen for such a large tournament. Now that it is smaller, yes, we will implement something a little more intricate. Just take into account the scale of this thunderdome, it's huge. Of course a more involved judging system would be nice, but not everyone has hours and hours to spend judging this thing. Think about it.

Last edited by strych9ine; October 2nd, 2006 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, if I were to be a pain in the ass and say something again, I'd say that while I agreed with the Goo's scale earlier, that I think the pragmatic approach is that we'd really just like to see the damn things judged.

Jason's categories? Excellent idea. Actually getting a result in less than six months? Also excellent. *shrugs shoulders*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fail to see why 2 grown adults took so long to drop the subject or at least take it to PM's, but it isn't really my business.

CAN'T WAIT FOR ROUND 3!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah well, I agree with a lot of MagicGoo's opinions about some matches (except for her own match I guess), I know you (magicgoo) are saying that you only write down your opinion, but I have to agree with Cody that you didn't write it down very nicely. But Cody.. Why react like she's a crybaby and all. I mean, Ursula feels her match has been judged unfairly, that's her opinion. She's probably a bit irritated by that, and while typing a post with her opinions, she put that in too (not very kindly, but oh well)
    It's just no use going to deride her for that, just because she expresses her feelings that way. She's human too and all..
    I personally would feel very sad if I read a message like that about me.

Oh and about the judging system. I think it's fine the way it is. The judges dó generally have the best idea of what's the better image. The rating system would just take too much time. And since it's a thunderdome; only the best person of the group can win anyway, so why not just pick your best?

Ah well, enough said.
    Let's move on.. shall we?
    ROUND 3!

love and hugs
    Marleen

Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    no more fighting...i know yall are passionate...but this is a classy event and needs to stay as such.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    congrats to all the winners, and esp. to you Nic ! grats grats !

but 5-0, it stings alittle.... oh well

next time!
    cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJΦRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, it turned out as I suspected, congrats to Main Loop!

heheh, "Waaaambulance!" I'm also a big fan of "we have now entered Waah Time" and "Some one's got their Cranky Pants on."

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hugs at my place. Long, uncomfortable ones, but still hugs nonetheless. Let's get on with this thing, eh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. Not yet, Strych9ine. more uncomfortable ones, please .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And perhaps the courtesy of a reach-around....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sve: I'm always impressed with your sensitivity. Is amazing how much you can see on a piece of art.
    I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on my piece.
    About the piece I must to admit I didn't spend the time it deserves. That got me whit the half of the sentence in my head, the words you couldn't read

The main idea of the piece was that the girl was trapped (not in any specific way, just a metafore) and she was escaping by the means of a fart, so the fart would be her soul.
    And the exclamation signs are key holes. I think the problem is I make the picture in a too bright monitor, and the subtle padlocks i put hidden in the folds of the sheets get lost.
    Dont turn out exactly the way I wanted, but I think is a nice picture though...
    Thanks again for the time

Loizze and Snarfevs: Was great to having you both on the same match

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How do you create all like these? Is it sketch, then wacom, then photoshop?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I have a question for Hurricane; what feeling did you want to call up?
    Because I read that people find it funny, but I actually find it a very sad piece.. Or is that just me having sad thoughts?

@Y-S; I think it's more like sketch - wacom+photoshop or wacom+painter, or just ehm oil paint + brush, or water color + brush.
    Some people create everything digital, and some do everything traditional.
    As for Photoshop, there are many tutorials on it. Check the photoshop subforums to read a bit more into that

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane
    congrats to all the winners, and esp. to you Nic ! grats grats !

but 5-0, it stings alittle.... oh well

next time!
    cheers!
    Hope you don't feel too bad about that - your picture was one my favourites!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, im new here, just registered, and this was the first thread I checked out. Just wanted to say its really some amazing art beeing done here. Thnx for letting my eyes rest on your art!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2