Artist or Physicist?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Artist or Physicist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artist or Physicist?

Hi,

First of all Sry for my poor English....

Well, my problem is that now, after I have finished school, I´m not sure in which direction I want to go....

There are 2 major things which I´m interested in and good at:

Physics (especially Astrophysics) + Concept Art (especially Sci-Fi/Fantasy)

Well, I´m one of those freaks who tries to find behind any fictional tecnology, creature or mechanism some sort of physical explenation...

..it sounds crazy, but I spend lots of hours in writing essays about how blasters in SW or the Glyphes from the Thief Game Series do work.
    I think I´m good in it as I know quite much about the relavitivistic theory/quantum physics etc....

At the same time I´m good in drawing and i think I have a great Visual Imagination BUT while like to write a lot, I´m not really interested in drawing myself but more to look at the works of artists and then to think about and explain it scientifically.....

Well, my Problem is:
    HOW DO I FIND OUT WHICH IS THE REAL THING I´M INTERESTED IN AND THE DIRECTION I SHOULD GO?

Because I heard that many Concept Artist also make some "scientific research" before they design something?

My Problem is, that when´I start to realize that I should study Physics then I have doupts like: "But maybe I´m too less interested in physics - maybe I´m more Artist than scientist. Maybe I´m wrong about thinking Physics is my ultimate hobby.
    Maybe I´m more a creative than a scientific guy. Maybe I will get desperate when I have to think about equations instead of drwings...etc"

But it is also exactly the other way:When I think I should study Art than come also some ddoupts like: "But I´m not really interested in Art - more in Science-Fiction. At home I prefere writing to drawing. I´m more interested at how stuff works than how stuff looks....etc"

Hope, you get the picture.

I´m stuck somewhere betweene those 2 directions...

What I want to know from you, is how much professional Concept Artists care about physics, when for instance, the´re designing a sci-fi weapon...

As I said before I´m not sure if the amount of scientific and sci-fi interest in myself is more typical for an Artist or a Physicist.....

Last edited by WiC@!Witch.king; September 24th, 2006 at 01:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you say you like writing better than drawing-so you probably shouldn't study arts. i'd go with the physics,and if you want,in your free time,look into some screenplay writing the art aspect can come in handy if you want to do abit of storyboards on the side. but in the end it's up to you. good luck

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You shouldn't be asking other people that question. Go with what you feel really passionate about - sounds like physics but then I don't know you. Find out for yourself, don't let someone who doesn't know you make decisions about your future.

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studying Physics will help you immensely in terms of the designs you create, that is for sure.

From what I can see, you are more interested in writing as Carnifex pointed out, in figuring stuff out. Why not try Physics, keep drawing and writing and the moment you see which you prefer most, you decide on your course of action. Once faced with an obstacle, one can decide and pursue something with more deliberation than if they just sit around and do nothing Sure, you might waste a year or two - but you will have gained knowledge that most artists don't have, or at least a very deep undestanding of how to incorporate "real life" reasoning in your art.

But again it's your decision in the end.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Easy.
    Physicist.
    Next question?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THX for the answers......

Well, of course I shouldnt ask other people on that question but on the other hand its an additional help for the decision.

Well, actually I´m more on the physicist-side, as AngryScientist wrote, "figuring things out" >>>Thats EXACTLY what I like to do...

so your opinion complies with my decision....

What i still would like to know: I always thougt that when someone is good in drawing he usually likes it and wants to chose a profession which has something to do it...

But as I said before, I think I´m good in Drawing and when i manage it to start to draw - then I like it and want to finish it.
    But, ACTUALLY it rarely happens that I WANT to start a drawing. There are always a 100 things which I like to do better...

Is this another sign for me for NOT trying to become a concept artist?
    Or are some Concept Artists out there which do not really like to draw in their leisure time but just at Work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WiC@!Witch.king
    But, ACTUALLY it rarely happens that I WANT to start a drawing. There are always a 100 things which I like to do better...
    Then it's just a really goddamn bad idea.

Hell, I like solving math problems from time to time when I run across them, but there's no way I'd do that for a living.

Study something you want to study and like to do, or else you might end up in a bad situation one day when you realize you made a huge booboo.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay Physics! Yay Art! Yay decisions!

I say give the Physics a go, and if you get creative in your free time then you've got the best of both worlds. And besides, first (and to a lesser degree, second) year physics covers stuff people should really learn at some point anyway imo.

As far as I'm aware (and correct me if I'm wrong) one must be rather dedicated to make a career out of art.
    Also, a science degree doesn't just limit you to science. You're learning problem solving skills which can be applied anywhere should your interests wander later on.

Ultimately, if you like both, which is the easier to teach yourself?

But be aware Physics doesn't quite impress the chicks as much. Not that that should affect your decision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do both.

I'm almost done with a degree in organic/inorganic chemistry and have done art recreationally throughout, going from abysmal to okayish in the process. I probably haven't improved as fast as I could have if I actually did an arts degree but that possibility was precluded by my parents not wanting me to do art.

And yes, scientific knowledge quite often = stronger, more satisfying concepts. Dabbling in engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, comp. sci. means fewer mcguffins, fewer invocations of star trek particles and fewer technologies indistinguishable from magic. And fewer no-life nerds like myself groaning at criminally weak concepts and in turn being groaned at by Greg Egan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Is this another sign for me for NOT trying to become a concept artist?
    Yup.

That's like me saying "yeah, I suppose I can cook, it's not so bad once I get started and sometimes it even turns out tasty BUT there's about 100 things I'd rather be doing. Should I become a chef?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=m3ntor]

Ultimately, if you like both, which is the easier to teach yourself?

QUOTE]

...well, thats a big problem...

Ultimately I really started to do physics...... I turned out be extremly fascinating (more than I thought)

...but at the same tiome also quite frustrating:Math and all the abstract stuff...

I think all in all I´m a logical thinking person, but the problem is that I had an extremly poor math education in school....
    Thats why my math knowledge is below the average. Its quite frustrating...

I started to think that maybe to be a creative, visual person means automatically to dislike math/equations and to work with abstract elements...
    Maybe beeing creative means automatically beeing bad in Math as creative people get bored with it?
    (...as equations are the complete opposite of cool looking effects)

Well it isnt that bad that I think about quitting physics right now as all the other things are extremly interesting to me....

But I´m worrying about that studying art would have been quite easier, maybe it would fit better to my personality....(Apart form the things I said before...)

P.S.: I think physics does impress quite a few chicks as most of them think that its the hardest thing ever. Especially when your appearance is complete different to the "normal stereotype" physics student...

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just because you're bad at math doesn't mean your bad at physics- and that basic math can be learned rather fast to be atleast average. plus being creative doesn't automatically exclude math,so stick to what fascinates you most atm.

Last edited by Carnifex; November 20th, 2006 at 01:09 PM.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    logic:

a professional physicist can be an artist in his spare time.. an artist cannot be a professional physicist in his spare time.

- JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you sure about that?
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeh, to be honest, I think if you wanted to be an artist, you'd know about it. Its a hard market to crack, so youve got to be incredibly dedicated. If you sometimes just dont want to draw, then i don't think its for you.
    I never too physics myself, but did do further maths. From experience, I think if you can work hard and get your maths up to scratch, youll start to apreciate all the equations and "boring" stuff more.
    Maths, and definitely science can be beautiful too. Just look at the profound impact things like the golden ration has had on art and nature. Great music can be explained by harmonics, which I think youll learn about if you do physics, and certainly maths.

"Never have I seen a greater, or a more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother" - The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But I´m worrying about that studying art would have been quite easier, maybe it would fit better to my personality....(Apart form the things I said before...)
    don't fool yourself. Art can be just as difficult. On hear-say, around 95% percent of people that study art ultimately fail at getting anywhere significant with it.
    Think Elwell is right on this one too, you seem far more physicist than artist.

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually..if you dont wake up in the morning and think ART!!!! then be a physicist.

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, this is the easiest question ever.... choose the profession with the name I have trouble spelling...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you like science but you also like to create/imagine new or different things, and you enjoy writing so much, why not consider being a Sci-fi writer?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by entdroid
    If you like science but you also like to create/imagine new or different things, and you enjoy writing so much, why not consider being a Sci-fi writer?
    Yup. Create images with your words. You say you spend a lot of time writing about the science behind fictional worlds, why not create your own? Do you like reading science fiction? I imagine you do, or would if you haven't been exposed to it properly yet. The best sci-fi writing is a combination between great storytelling and great science, it might be a perfect fit for you.

I'd say do the physics degree and spend all your spare time making imagery with your words. Maybe when you're a famous sci-fi writer and your books are being made into the next star wars trillogy, you can draw a few sketches and then get concept artist like us to visualise it for you.

But like Marco Nelor said, judging from your responses, creating Art isn't for you - because it's hard and it's consuming and sometimes the only reward you get from it is the act of creating it.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I started to think that maybe to be a creative, visual person means automatically to dislike math/equations and to work with abstract elements...
    Maybe beeing creative means automatically beeing bad in Math as creative people get bored with it?
    (...as equations are the complete opposite of cool looking effects)
    Bullshit.
    If that's an example of your reasoning process maybe you'd better not go into the sciences .

Last edited by Elwell; November 20th, 2006 at 08:36 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Bullshit.
    If that's an example of your reasoning process maybe you'd better not go into the sciences .

Well then I´m good for nothing....

But I´m interested in something else: How much does a typical concept artist care about how the stuff works he draws?

Lets take Half Life 2 for example: This fictional setting is quite orientated on real world (theoretical) physics....
    but do the guys which design all the stuff REALLY care HOW it works (or could work) ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In the case of something like HL2, physics simulation, ragdoll stuff etc is the programmers concern, not the artists.

The only crossover area that I can think of would be when you have a physics based puzzle or obstacle but even then, that's game/level design, not art and concept.

Edit: never mind, I think I misunderstood the question..

Last edited by Flake; November 29th, 2006 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lets take Half Life 2 for example: This fictional setting is quite orientated on real world (theoretical) physics....
    but do the guys which design all the stuff REALLY care HOW it works (or could work) ?
    I'm sure some do, but mainly I'd think the writers care about how it could work and the artists care about how it could look, and then they meet somewhere in the middle. The artist always has to keep in mind how it could work, but mainly so it's visually believable.

Let the writers/desginers worry about the nitty-gritty - All the extra details are what makes science-fantasy worlds so cool and keeps the geeks happy for hours, but 'beauty' comes before 'realism' all the time.

That's why lasers are visible in space, move very slowly, and make lots of noise, it's why space-ships have wings and it's also why secure vaults are protected by bright red lasers rather than the much more practical and unavoidable motion detectors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DO BOTH!

I always flip through art magazines in the school's library and there are all these mathematician-artist, physicist-artist, pathologist-artist, etc. You probably have better chances in modern arts than me if you have a physics background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you considered Industrial Design?
    Depending on the course you may not get much pure physics but it requires you to think about how shit works, as well as being good for concept art dealing with machines and crap. Wrapping your head around problems; coming up with creative solutions; and making them work.
    You may find it has the mix you're looking for.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your answer lies in the response to this question:

Do we need more and interesting orcs and face-huggers, or would it be better to find another place to live once we've sucked this rock dry?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,
    I just saw a program on PBS regarding life on other planets, etc. Well, they interviewed one guy that immediately reminded me of this thread. Apparently, his whole job is to come up with creature designs that could realistically inhabit other planets. He based his designs heavily off of scientific principles. His job was at the NASA Ames Research labs, I believe. So, I thought it would be encouraging for you to know that there are jobs out there very similar to what you would like to do. They mentioned that he is a doctor, but I kind of doubt he's got his doctorate in Art. In other words, based on this guy's experience, it'd probably be better off to get your degree in Physics, while at the same time expand your drawing capabilities, so you can go up to a potential employer (whether corporate or academic or governmental) and offer those skills as a particular asset. Being in a scientific/artistic hybrid field myself, I can assure you that it is rare to find someone who can do both well, but at the same time someone with those two skills is also quite valuable.

Good luck!
    -Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

But I´m interested in something else: How much does a typical concept artist care about how the stuff works he draws?

They would have to care. Think about it, if they didnt care about computer games and the designs etc, why would they struggle to compile a proffessional portfolio to get into an incredibly competetive industry. Also if they werent eager to get in then they wouldnt be hired in the first place.
    Correct me if im wrong but are you looking to take an easy route in your career, because believe me I think art is misunderstood by many. It takes an incredible amount of comitment, to learn and develop.
    Do what you think youll enjoy the most.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.