C.O.W. - #061: Iceberg Devourer - Voting! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • ScaryPotato

0 0%
  • llothcat

5 3.85%
  • kovah

0 0%
  • Joey-b

0 0%
  • Durin/Piru

0 0%
  • njoo

15 11.54%
  • Lodin

2 1.54%
  • Eric Gerhard

1 0.77%
  • Evil_Sloth

0 0%
  • zhay13

0 0%
  • kid_militia

0 0%
  • Cloister

4 3.08%
  • Moai

1 0.77%
  • Blue

0 0%
  • VegasMike

10 7.69%
  • Michael Jaecks

0 0%
  • xgabo

15 11.54%
  • cowboy surfer

0 0%
  • Fozzybar

4 3.08%
  • wizo5454

0 0%
  • BlkCelebration

2 1.54%
  • JakkaS

6 4.62%
  • vonky

0 0%
  • cognition.sb

3 2.31%
  • ckaos@om

0 0%
  • Ostrander

9 6.92%
  • Tom Garden

2 1.54%
  • gep

0 0%
  • Tyranx

51 39.23%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ScaryPotato: Nice and clean imagery. Perhaps the wavy, drooping shapes of the iceberg and the creature is a bit too similar.

Llothcat: A dogfrog? The image size makes me think it insignificant… even if the design itself is quite OK. The reflection of the iceberg in the water is interesting.

Kovah: Is it a boat or a fish? Far out… amusing.

Joey-b: Good one. The people and the house takes away some of the realistic touch of the creature.

Durin/Piru: In the upright position the creature becomes rather human-like. Hooves seems rather useless in an icy area. I like the little drawing better. It is however rather
    funny in its grotesquery.

Njoo: I have seen too many round mouths with muli-layered tooth-sets, to enjoy this one. And the extreme camouflage-idea has also been used a lot here on COW. I like the way it’s painted, with traces of water media-spots. The little pic looks good.

Lodin: Good sense of movement/action. Good composition and mood. Dragons rule, but as a new creature design, this one isn’t unique enough imo.

Eric Gerhard: Nice idea with the comets /space icebergs. The colours get lost in the contrasts for some reason, and seem somehow randomly applied. What colour is the creature? Are the orange spots eyes?

Evil_Sloth: I like the colour of the octopus. It took me a long while to see that the thing happening in the foreground was a dog-span. The overall feel is a bit too sketchy for my taste.

zhay13: I like this one as a work of art. It has a weird nightmarish mood that I really enjoy, but as a COW I find it hard to make out the creature’s appearance. (The front pose of the closest one isn’t very clear, and the background ones are too small.)

kid_militia: I think it looks like a whale with a giant clam on top of it. The way the splash of the water is done creates a sharp border between the two creatures, giving the piece a collage/cut out feel.

Cloister: Good work! You managed to capture that mystical feel which rings of mythology and mystery. This is what you’re after. Too bad the voters doesn’t share your love of these attributes… and too bad Tyranx outdid you by a billion light-years again. Shape up! You’re better than this!

Moai: I agree with supervlieg about the outlines, especially since there is no trace of them on the icebergs. The size doesn’t come through in the painting. Some reference is needed, I think (a boat or an airplane perhaps), unless you manage to use fading or perspective to get size across. The shape of the head is inspiring.

Blue: I know backgrounds aren’t necessary, but they make creatures come alive, even if they’re simple. He looks greedily on that chunk of ice.

VegasMike: Power and atmosphere. I have some trouble reading the creature. (Where do all those fins go?) The tail-fin and the one which is lifted above the surface reach a higher level, than the rest, I think.

Michael Jaecks: The smaller black spots outside the iceberg are gathered in little groups which seem to make out little force-fields. I like the sculptural feel.

Xgabo: Powerful! The placing of the horizon could have been lower. Right now attention is drawn to the bear, rather than the creature. Below surface I’d like to have seen some extra variation on the turtle. The ”skin” is rather monotonous, I think (same size and colour bumps everywhere) Perhaps the silhoutte fish are needlessly many, and a bit randomly applied. Good piece, nevertheless.

cowboy surfer: It looks smaller than it is… something for size-comparison is needed, I think. The iceberg gets lost in there, and the creature is rather featureless.

Fozzybar: It is a funny creature, but I think you are better than this. Next round – show me how you won this competition.

wizo5454: You made improvements while you went along, but for some reason, I still like your initial b/w sketch the most. I think the sketchy surroundings somewhat swallows the creature in this one.

BlkCelebration: One of the best creatures, this round. I’m considering putting my vote on this one. I like the strong character/personality of the head. The world behind the beast is so ”small”, it looks a bit as if the creature is coming up from the edge of the world. The closest waves need some more detail, I think.

JakkaS: Look at supervliegs crit.

Vonky: The joints looks unnatural. But the overall impression is very imaginative and charming. Keep it up!

cognition.sb: Plain creature, but rather believable. I would enjoy the film. Monotonous waves, but very lifelike (I suspect you stole them off a photo, which you can of course..) I’m thinking about voting for this one. I like the fact that I find the creature boring, but like it yet the same… that is I ought to find it boring, but I don’t – and that makes it interesting.

ckaos@om: The size doesn’t come through despite the birds. When you make creatures so close to existing ones, a lot of energy has to go into the texture and detail.

Ostrander: Jaws! Big mouths must come on big ideas. The presentation idea is amusing, but the creature gets lost behind the iceberg and the mouth,

Tom Garden: This one grows. It is nothing but a spiky clump with eyes, yet it holds some real interest. Surprisingly effective for such an alien design. Cool!

Gep: Colourwise it becomes monotonous. The depth and atmosphere is good. The creature themselves look a bit too mechanical for me.

Tyranx: The illustration (atmosphere, light, texture, dimensions etc) rules supreme! The creature is (except for its size) rather plain and would have looked boring in most contexts. You make it powerful and believable, but it is still a rather uneventful creature, whose hind parts remain a mystery. Do you have a preference for close to monochrome creatures? The penguins add a lot of warmth and life.
    I don’t like that one of its ”arms” has a biceps… and that the leftmost penguin gets grey about where it crosses the background iceberg.

Vote goes to Cognition SB - A featureless creature that I ought to dislike, but which holds a strange power in its simplicity and would work very well in a film. This round feels very good, but when I searched for great design, I couldn't really find anything fantastic.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everybody for the hints and see ya next time!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, great to see the effort put in these crits!

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool, everyone. Another good round. Don't stop reviving COW! Here's the comments. Following my rule to never vote the usual suspects, my vote went to xgabo this time.

Scary'Tato: Haha, this scream "ice-cream" to me. Not sure if it's the best way to illustrate frozen water. The creature is a little mainstream.
    llothcat: Can't see the pic, sorry.
    kovah: Well. A little vague. Some more "design" to the creature would have helped alot.
    Joey-B: I like it, it's beyond your other work I'd say. The creature is somewhat mainstream, again.
    Durin/Piru: Different approach, but it lacks some rendering.
    N'joo: Creature-wise, this is probably my favourite. The perspective is off, but the creature itself is so cool. I'd be pissed if this fucker was standing in front of my iceberg!
    Lodin: Great piece, great scene. The power is what makes it... powerful. It's a little too close to a character though, doesn't look very generic.
    Eric Gerhard: Different approach, boring creature (what is it with worms?). I like the perspective. Lacks some technical finesse.
    Evil_Sloth: Haha, made me laugh. Great creature design aswell, I like the approach.
    zhay13: Is this traditional? Didn't look into the WIP thread. Looks like a version of "Worms" or "Lemmings". A little to vague on the creature-design. Also, the centered creature isn't a good approach concerning composition.
    kid_militia: Same as kovah. A whale, ok. Also, the creature is just a nutshell that's coming out of the water...
    Cloister: Most innovative creature in the round. The yellowish iceberg makes it look like an amber-devourer, but it looks very good.
    Moai: I like the digger-design and the detailled sidenotes. A direct size-comparison would have been a great help. Technically, it's a little monotone.
    Blue: Looks wip-ish. But I like the creature.
    VegasMike: Same category as N'joo. But the spooky underwater-perspective is cool (I'm highly aquaphobic, so this kind of stuff gives me the creeps, really).
    King-Of-Pop: The action is cool, but the colors aren't as good as they could be. The creature is cool though, I like the head.
    xgabo: Same as Mike from Vegas. But even more creepy. And the WTF-bear is hilarious. Got my vote.
    cowboy surfer: Nearly no creature-design. Looks wip-ish.
    fozzy: Sweet guy. Great sense of scale. And there're eggs in it, which is great (I just love creature's eggs).
    wizo1234: Like the creature, a little mainstream tho. The colors say mountain-destroyer though, and it's a WIP more than a finished piece I guess.
    BlkCelebration: Haha, I know a guy who looks like that. I like it. A little more of the body would have been good.
    JakkaS: No words, wonderful rendering and presentation, nice (but ordinary) creature. You rock!
    vonky: WIP-ish. You should put some more energy in the rendering
    cognition: You have a great eye for horror. I'll never swim again.
    ckaos: A jellyfish, weee. looking good, but the color are killing me. Avoid soft brushes, they ruin the clear vision of the piece.
    Ostrander: Haha, hilarious creature, bonus point for great presentation. I don't like the iceberg, why is it red? A cool crystal-clear diamond-iceberg would FTW.
    Tom Garden: This is a bad mofo. The top-half of the pic stands out with nice lighting and great sense of blurryness. Not so keen about the creature. Sure, it's innovative. Your piece lacks an iceberg.
    gep: Hehe, this is close to what I was planning for nuclear planet devourer. Like the creature, but the dodging spots hurt the eye.
    Tyranx: You're an evergreen, buddy. I love this piece. It's close to your Sea Leviathan, but this is is even cooler.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arrrgh, I thought I had a chance until I saw Tyranx's! Well the experience was worth it and I learned a lot...Thanks for the votes and feedback guys...Great work all around, some of my favorites...

xgabo-Nice creature but a little too graphic.
    Cloister-I appreciate your comments and involvement in the cow! Love the colors and creature/character design. Kind of creature of the black lagoonish.
    njoo-Beautiful rendering.
    Tyranx-I look forward to the tutorial...Inspiring...I'm a big fan!
    Ostrander-Awesome spin on the subject!
    cognition.sb-Nice...a little too technical for my taste.
    JakkaS-Great rendering as always even though it's just a fury ant.
    BlkCelebration-Neat! I like the smaller version better because I can see the whole body.
    Fozzybar-Striking creature!...I would have liked to see a more ragged bottom to the berg, kinda looks like a snowball.

My vote goes to Fozzy for the most original and striking creature design...tropical fish meets octopi...you just cant go wrong!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sm Felipe- Thanks so much! Comments like that are what keep me going. So, let's see, that makes seven community activities I've participated in, and three votes.
    Supervlieg- Thanks. The creature started out as just a dark silhouette, then I filled in the lighter colors. Guess I need to be less leary about "going over the line" when coloring.
    Cowboy Surfer- Thanks, man! I think it's obvious that most of the work I put into this piece went to that creature's hide. And yeah, I was quite the dinosaur nut when I was a young un. I think that comes out even more in my Creek Crawler, though. Thanks again.
    Cloister- Thank you, sir of the inflated head. I blocked in the icebergs as nearly white shapes and I wasn't scared of painting outside the boundaries and then using the eraser to clean up the outline, whereas on the creature I blocked it out with a dark color and was wary of going over the outline. Bad me. Size reference was something I didn't think of, but now that you mention it, it would have been nice. As for the shape of its head, I have a motto: You can't beat something with a wedge-shaped head, or something with eyes on its lower jaw. Glad you like it.
    Jabo- Thanks. I agree with you on both of the crits. I'm filing them away to keep in mind on my next project.

Enough about me, though. Let's talk about you guys.

ScaryPotato- I'm glad you ditched the outlines this time. The form comes through very clearly without them. You have a very clean, simple, friendly-looking style, and I like it. I love the way to did the iceberg.
    llothcat- I still love this creature design. The little exclamation points were a nice touch. Nice rendering. However, this piece is just screaming to be more. I'd like to see more views of that creature, more description of it, and a larger image.
    kovah- I stand by my comments in the previous thread. Anatomy reference on the fins and such would have been nice, and the way the curve of its back is flush with the edge of the picture is an awkward coincidence that should be avoided. Also, the greatest mass of an iceberg is beneath the sea, not on top of it. Great creature design on both the whale and the microbe.
    Joey-b- Nice pic. The reflection on the ice should probably curve to the left along with the creature, rather than remain vertical. The rear half of the creature doesn't look far back enough for that size difference. Nice rendering of the clouds, and that deep blue hue of the sky is beautiful.
    Durin/Piru- I think it's a shame that you chose to depict this creature standing in a quasi-humanoid fashion. I greatly prefer the more realistic four-legged depiction in the lower left. Focus on anatomy and cleaning up your rendering style.
    Njoo- Awesome piece. You've seen a few pics of cambrian-era creatures, haven't you? The mouth and orange-tipped tentacle are fantastic. The only qualm I have about this is that the horizon line seems too low.
    Lodin- Nice head on that beast! Nice swirling effects and color depth as well. The top half of the picture is stronger than the bottom half, though, as those ice chunks are looking a bit sketchy. Congratulations on your Ethereal Stalker win.
    Eric Gerhard- It's nice to have enthusiastic newcomers like you and Scary Potato on these forums. Putting the icebergs in space was a creative touch. I like the creature, too, and those dark purple clouds on either side of the asteroid. The picture, however, seems to be a mix of too hard and too soft.
    Evil_Sloth- The overall feel of this picture is a bit messy, and the anatomy of the creature could be a little better. Those webs between its tentacles could have traveled along the length of the tentacles a bit to make more of a graceful curve, rather than going in a nearly straight line from the base of one tentacle to the next. The sense of atmosphere is nice, though, and I like the "rawr."
    zhay13- The whole thing feels a bit blurry and vague, and the creature design isn't very clear. There's really nothing besides size difference indicating that the creatures in the background are farther away than those in the foreground. I like their short, stalky, two-clawed arms, though.
    kid_militia- I loves me a whale with a horn on its nose. Though, since it's a creature from [Planet X], the resemblance to an earthly humpback whale should probably be less. Also, make sure you're very clear when drawing separate views of a creature, as I only just now realized that we were looking at two different views of this beast instead of one creature with a big rediculous mouth on its back. The absurdity of having a big ol' mouth on its back was my biggest qualm; now that I've realized that this is not so, my biggest crit is clarity of presentation. Also, its nose is coming right to the edge of the picture in two places. Either have the creature's edge well inside the picture frame, or well outside. Nice creature design.
    Cloister- I gotta say, your artwork is really starting to impress me! You also have a way with words. Anyway, the light and color in this picture is simply wonderful. Great sense of form and depth as well. Your creature design has a someone cheesy Ray Harryhausen quality that I love. Great pic, and no crits that haven't already been mentioned. A fine candidate for a vote.
    Moai- No matter what, I always seem to have to bust my hump on the night of the deadline to finish these. Nothing much to say that I haven't said in my responses above, so I'll just go and eat my breakfast now. Be back in a while to finish these.
    I'm back.
    Blue- Very WIPish. I like its big mandibles, but it it's single-jointed legs I think it'd have a very stiff gait. Look at a picture of a tarantula and see all the different joints and segments. I think that many-jointed legs are part of the essence of spider-ness. Promising, but very unfinished.
    VegasMike- Nice picture. I don't really like the curled-up pose the creature is in, but that's just personal preference. I'm questioning the stalactite-y look of the underwater portion of the icebergs, but I couldn't find any reliable reference for that, so I don't know. It's not very clear how the second set of limbs attach to the body. Nice job rendering the surface of the water, and I like those bubbles issuing from its back.
    Michael Jaecks- I'm of the strong opinion that for serpentine creatures the head needs to continue from the body in a smooth line. The way this creature's head breaks away from the line of the body at an angle like that doesn't work for me. I found it difficult to decipher what was happening on the head as well. All in all, a bit lower in quality than the rest of your work, I think. I like the hexagonal markings on the creature, though.
    xgabo- I like its name. The picture is awesome, too. The texture and details are as razor-sharp as that thing's teeth. Nice rendering of the iceberg, as well. That polar bear is screwed. But whales didn't exist 70 million years ago. The first large whales that I'm aware of existed 40 million years ago. A minor nitpick, and nothing really to do with the art, anyway.
    cowboy surfer- The creature design isn't very exciting, and the color of the underwater portion of the iceberg could have been more subtle. I like the bit about the electro-sonar and the gas gills.
    Fozzybar- I was wondering when you were gonna participate again. Anyway, I love the colors and the design, and the sense of movement of the little ice eggs popping out of its posterior. Don't take this the wrong way, but it looks like a pokemon. Probably because of its cute button eyes. It looks like it'd have some interesting evolved forms.
    wizo5454- Interesting creature. I doubt if it's tongue would be able to hold that chunk of ice, though. The ice looks messy, doesn't have enough contrast, and the shadows look to be pure grayscale when they should be blue or something. Use color temperature, not black.
    BLKCelebration- Excellent creature design. You seem to have a thing for mammalian creatures. My only crit is that the water doesn't really have a sense of depth and the creature is sitting right on the horizon line.
    JakkaS- Simply beautiful. I have to echo the previous crits in that the background is the true star of this picture. The ant is beautifully done and is obviously equipped for its environment, but it's still an ant. The ice around it is easily the best ice to be found in this round, though.
    Vonky- The creature has no sense of anatomy. The joints and muscles are very unnatural. My advice is to learn as much as you can about animal anatomy. Go to a good library and find some books about animal anatomy, preferably ones that are meant for artists. Go to a zoo and sketch the animals. Don't try to exactly copy every stripe and claw, but instead try to capture the movement and general shape. You obviously have a vivid imagination, now you just need to train your eye and hand to match it. I like the creature's skinny little swirl of a tail, by the way.
    cognition.sb- Nice pic. I'm still amazed at how you got that water so smooth and without any tiling going on. Maybe I'm misunderastanding what you did with the photo texture, though. Anyway, great job capturing that flattened look that happens when you look at something through water. Anyway, here's my Spongebob impression: Dahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! (In a really high voice.)
    Gotta go again. I'll be back.
    I'm back.
    ckaos- I think you ought to study color, because the ones you chose aren't really blending. The water, for example, is far too vivid, and clashes somewhat with the yellows and purples of the creature. Also, clean up the edges with an eraser when you use a big soft brush like that. Interesting idea, though.
    Ostrander- Great presentation! That's technically a compliment to whoever designed the movie poster for Jaws, I guess. I love the humor of it, and the rendering is pretty good as well. I like how the penguins are just oblivious.
    Tom Garden- Nice picture. I like it's gnarled looks, its asymmetry, its glowing, jagged mouthparts, and the bubbles rising up from it. The only part I don't like is its horns, which look a bit sketchy. Otherwise, nice creature.
    gep- I like the idea of an aquatic hive creature. The picture is a bit monochromatic, and the creatures would be better equipped with shorter, chisel-like teeth, as these long needly ones would probably break against the ice. The boat you used as a size reference actually makes these creatures look fairly small, since the boat looks like a regular speed boat. Also, watch your edge quality, and the bottom of the picture is fairly messy.
    Tyranx- Simply awe-inspiring. The creature isn't very exciting, but the picture as a whole most definitely is. The sense of scale given by the penguins is nothing short of awesome. The quality of light is also quite intriguing. Very nice.

Vote- Maybe Cloister, since the light in his painting warms my heart. Maybe JakkaS, with his amazing ice. Maybe Tyranx, with his awesome scene. I'll go with Cloister. Here's to you, buddy.

Last edited by Moai; September 25th, 2006 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmm i wonder who will win this .. hehe congrats tyranx ( i think?)

ow and fozzy.. i did the same thing the first time so hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks supervlieg, cowboy surfer, cloister and jabo for the constructive crit. I shall try to spend more time to finish up the rendering/colors next time. Great community here, I'd like to give back some crits but i feel all the advice i could give has already been said.

Good day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wizo5454
    Thanks supervlieg, cowboy surfer, cloister and jabo for the constructive crit. I shall try to spend more time to finish up the rendering/colors next time. Great community here, I'd like to give back some crits but i feel all the advice i could give has already been said.

Good day
    Idd, a big thanks to all this constructive criticism! Learned a lot!

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It hurts me not to vote for Tyranx (such an awesome illustration and tutorial!) I had to give it to Jakkas, for such a unique take on this piece. Insects in the arctic, neat idea... and I like the tunnelling aspect it fits well with the devouring. Great round xgabo, llothcat, njoo, cloister, fozzy, BlkCelebration, Jakkas & Tyranx!

Last edited by Stephan_R; September 25th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering when you'd be back to sport your CoW star, Stephan!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VegasMike got my vote, always love the way you portray motion and focus in you work. stunning work by everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai
    I was wondering when you'd be back to sport your CoW star, Stephan!
    Haha I'm very honored really. I wish so badly I could have been in this COW or the latest CHOW, but I'm taking all the requests for a children's book and putting them toward motivation. Hopfully I'll finish before xmas, but that means less time for these

It seems that most people had whale-like ringworms this time around, but I can see so many improving their skills... Michael J, BlkC, and Cloister off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan_R
    Haha I'm very honored really. I wish so badly I could have been in this COW or the latest CHOW, but I'm taking all the requests for a children's book and putting them toward motivation. Hopfully I'll finish before xmas, but that means less time for these
    Judging by your Dreamcatcher, you'd be a natural children's book illustrator. Good luck with that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ice looks messy, doesn't have enough contrast, and the shadows look to be pure grayscale when they should be blue or something. Use color temperature, not black.
    you are spot on, im pretty new with the whole concept art thing, im a 3d char modeler, so i needs those crits. BTW Moai i really like ur shovel-head type of creature, it was a solid concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Moai and Jabo for the words!

Peace to you all!

I don't know if you guys have seen but I'm also on the CHOW: King Oxigen.... hope you like it!

Voted Jakkas because his idea seemed more believable, for me. I also like the contrast of his creature's size in ratio to the iceberg.... to think that something so small could devour an iceberg is really interesting.
    Llothcat's idea appealed to me in the same way, but was lacking the presentation. Still a good idea...could develop it a bit more.
    As far as the giants go, Tyranx and njoo would have been my votes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many thanks to everyone, for motivating words, votes, commments and crits. It all goes straight to the heart-folder!

Moai, if you keep spoiling me, I shall have to send you some flowers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okey here Goes...

Scarypotato – i like the design allot but the pic is very small and flat, maybe u could’ve add some bubbles in het water and some other small details BUT the icerberg looks great

Llothcat – the idea, design, and presentation are all great but the pic could’ve bin better. It looks as if u where in a rush creating something

Kovah – the bright reds are killing and 3 pics of the monster on such a small sheet is a bit to much and above that the 2 big heads are the same drawing only one has its jaw lowered, but i like the concept itself

Joey-b – The worm itself looks okey but the bg looks rushed and the eskimos are to cartoony for my taste (?)

Durin/piru – the design u got is one of the most original very good work at that
    Maybe u should work at a higher resolution next time, ow and the nose looks a bit of on this creature maybe u just should’ve left it out

Njoo – very very cool idea, producing its own food and i love the execution, almost got my vote

Lodin – the drawing itself is good and i love the tophalf of the drawing, but the story is a little to much for, a little over the top.
    The creature itself is very sharp and detailed but its surroundings are more speedpaint like. I like both styles, just not combined

Eric gerhard – original story! I think ur the only one who has used space in this round so congrats on that. I believe ur are trying to hard to use special brushes in ur drawing and the icebergs looks rushed and not good compared to the well rendered creature, next time try to get the colors to work together and not to show ur brushes to much

Evil_sloth – lol that looks great, maybe u could’ve replaced the Rawr! For a Burp… hehe, didnt get my vote cause the story doesnt appeal

Zhay – i love the little surfing dudes hehe, the big yellow spot (also know as moon) distracts to much, and as far as the story goes.. why do the melt icebergs? And more importantly .. do they eat them?

Kid_militia – the concept is almost an excisiting creature (spelling error ?) and the composition is very disturbing, but the orange on his mouth looks very good, same crit here as zhay .. WHY?

Cloister – u got the vote ! (but u knew that already) great great colors and concept, as for crits. Tail is to thin and the way it curls around the icerberg looks a bit of, above the water its behind the iceberg and underwater it is in front of the iceberg… but compared to the great creature design (reminds me of brutes in halo and those guys from oblivion) and the sweet sweet colors i came to the point where i had to vote.

Maoi – sweet concept i like his head especially, crits the ice/snowmountains could use some sharp edges cause now the scale of the beast doesnt come across unless u look at the drawings on the left.

Blue – fozzy said u could do better, so do so next time
    It lacks texture but the design is pretty good.

Vegasmike – close to gettin my vote cause it looks just great, i love the glow coming from inside, reminds me of my own pic a bit although ur creature i far more orignale and better rendered , as crits.. hmm some parts could’ve bin more detailed compared to the creature

Micheal Jaecks – One of ur best renders but one of ur most boring designs, its still a good design but not as original as u normally do, the ice looks a bit to much like stone (to much grey, to little highlights ) and i would’ve gone for a bright blue skybut thats just a personal pref

Xgabo – Great design, polarbear is great, the texturing is great.. its all great  u got close to gettin my vote btw.. funny how vegasmike’s and urs look like each other

Cowboy surfer – the texturing on his head ( i think ? ) looks good but the water and the iceberg (underwater) are to saturized, also the design is pretty boring.
    However the story is pretty cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fozzybar – That is jsut great, his expression is so cool and his little arms (whats little? Lol) wrapping around the iceberg.. sweet stuff, u finished oin the 1,5st place imo

Wizo5454 – the story isnt really convincing, cause comeone.. whats the chance u get something and if u do.. its not loaded with vitamines , i like the speedpaintyness of the drawing and green background is … pretty? U did good fitting a green bg in an ice pic

Bkcelebration – The creature looks so,.. almost cute nice colors and design, the story is pretty funny to haha, one major crit the perspect is pretty off cause behind the creature the water just stops

Jakkas – very well rendered and nice explanation, but the creature design just isnt interessting enough, also his legs are placed pretty weird (his hind legs)
    Aww well ull just come and crush all entries next COW hehe

Vonky – it looks strange with a detailed belly and the rest of the drawing is rushed, also the sky is just one big blue blotch.. try posting some wips here next time and get some good crits

Congnition.SB – i like it allot, but is that water a filter ? or not if not looks good if so.. hmm try urself next time, the creature is very nice the ice looks good also, overal very good

Ckoas@om – i like the colors in this pic but its very flat and those birds in the sky are way to dark
    Also the water, where it meets the creature, u could’ve added some white waves and stuff like that
    The story is a bit to short and well.. not very explainable, cause what did it do before eating
    icebergs?

Ostander – lol that made me laugh outloud, very cool im not gonna whine about there not being a story cause.. well its just great

Tom Garden – reminds me of a scarecrow somehow, i like the dark tense colors of the pic
    His eyes are placed a bit weird compared to his mouth.
    The smoke looks like (if u look quickly ) tree’s.. can u c?
    Nice story hehe

Gep – its not showing atm.. if it will later ill comment then

Tyranx – damn thats so well rendered and penguins look GREAT, but it just can stop thinking roach, and i hate roaches..

Very good story, very believeable * of to check tutorial

Holy COW (hehe) the post just cost me 3 cups a coffee and 6 blisters i even had to post in 2.. so u’d better like it,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Joey! After my mistake I really got one vote... Think I've done a better job at CHOW 42.

Thanks a lot for the constructive comments! You're a great pal!

Peace!

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx on the comments so far...you all have a point in the crits...now i will do some c&c in short form with + and -...sorry but the heavy amount of participation forces me to do so...

Here we go:

ScaryPotato
    + stylish rendition of iceberg and creature
    + nice creature design
    - the creature doesn't look like being underwater...look at underwater pics and notice which parts are making things look like underwater

llothcat
    + nice rendering
    + great concept
    - iceberg looks kinda cubic
    - to small image, next time post a larger size, it helps the viewer to get the details and look around in your creation

kovah
    + funny idea
    - your concept is too much based on the microbes, when reading i missed more information about the actual creature
    - the largest part of Icebergs are underwater. That's where the saying "tip of the iceberg" comes from
    - concentrate on the creature first...work it out more. I am missing details like structure, little shells settled down on the body etc...also a waterfountain coming out of the first dorsal fine (simulating a smoke pipe) would make it a much more believable being.

Joey-b
    + sweet rendering
    + nice colors and composition
    + details
    - ice and snow looks rushed, brush strokes are going in every direction, lowers the overall quality

Durin/Piru
    + love the pose and facial expression
    - too rough lines on some areas
    - how do people think it's a dull domestic animal when it owns this immense fangs?

njoo
    + nice creature design and rendering
    - concept sounds unlogical...why does he need to keep the ice cap from melting?

Lodin
    + rendering, colors, action
    - creature category too far away from the iceberg subject...would have fit perfectly to the last topic of Ethereal Stalker, unfortunately you already won this round, hehe...

Eric Gerhard
    + different approach on th etopic
    - different approach on the topic...hehe, sounds paradox, but actually i think the uniqueness of the idea is also the weak point...the icebergs he eats could be asteroids or anything, so there is no justification to transfer the creature into a different setting
    - the colors are set somehow imprecisely, going from one part into another...

Evil_Sloth
    + colors, scale
    - iceberg looks like a mountain on land, which is not the definition of an iceberg
    - mutated jelly fish? ooooookaaaaaay....
    - text in image supposed to be funny...it is not...

zhay13
    + nice idea
    + interesting color scheme and style
    - image too busy with redundant detaisl (water structure, sky etc)

kid_militia
    + nice idea of anatomical feature
    + spot on colors on the close-up
    - creature desing where are you? Hellooooo?
    - composition kinda weird...destroys the joy of viewing

Cloister
    + great creature design
    + awesome rendering
    + superb concept
    - the colors seem to take away from the concept and setting...it doesn't look like ICE, COLD, POLAR...

Moai
    + creature design
    + rendering on creature
    - rendering on ice
    - colors could be balanced more...the water, ice and heaven doesn't work together as good as it could be...
    - concept too long and unnecessarily infos about the gods...though nicely thought out

Blue
    - rushed

VegasMike
    + nice concept (didn't read yours until now ...our concepts sounds similar, but still different of course)
    + what can i say about colors, design and rendering...it's awesome as always
    - no minus here

Michael Jaecks
    + composition
    + creature colors
    - environment colors (too much grayish areas)

xgabo
    + fantastic concept
    + great composition
    + lovely rendering
    + polar bear is the shitnizz ("Hey, Tommy...cool down, i didn't want to touch your rubber duck!")
    + ACTION!!!! YEAH BABY!
    + immense underwater feeling
    - black areas on the top are destroying the overall look, i know you added them to define the focus, but the are too much bothering the eye
    +++ VOTE!!! Second time in a row i am giving you my vote, hehe...

cowboy surfer
    - this image needs more surfer, less cowboy What i mean is, that the color scheme is unbalance...look at some photos of sea, underwater, polar scenes and try to immitate the color pallette...
    + i can see the action
    - i can't see what really is going on, the bubbles and ice particles are making the image too busy

Fozzybar
    + design, concept
    - too colorful
    - scale is not obvious
    - needs some depth

wizo5454
    + composition
    - concept is obvious...the difficulty regarding the concept was this time to avoid creatures which eats icebergs for feeding purposes (even if they aim for frozen animals)...for the next round the difficulty will be to think of a creature which is not a bird or dragon or whatever we know of creatures coming from the air...think in a way which is not obvious
    - creature design lacks originality
    - green? why is the background green? It looks good, but people wonder why there is green, which is actually not seen in polar or icy regions

BlkCelebration
    + amazing character in your creature
    + sweet colors (as always - you're one of the color artists for me) and rendering
    - concept not the most creative one but it works, because the mind of this creature brings a fresh element to it

JakkaS
    + colors, rendering, details, design...yaddayaddayadda...you already know this all
    + good approach of concept...ants in ice, who can think of this? JakkaS!
    + presentation...nice map graphic on the left
    - side view! haha....no actually this time it's working much more 3D...
    - creature design...usually one of your strengths, this time maybe limited by the ant theme...i still love you, my polish Zombie

vonky
    - creature lookks more like a goat and not like a fierce predator
    - the creature doesn't devour the iceberg actually

cognition.sb
    + awesome water effect, looks really as if we are looking from a helicopter down to the sea and can see the creature underneath the surface...alone for that effect i would give you my vote
    + color scheme, rendering, presentation
    - would have been cool to see more from the creature...looks promising...pity that it is such a shy guy

ckaos@om
    + clean presentation, focus on main thing
    + nice colors
    - creatures design...where is the originality?
    - boring concept...give him a flamethrower

Ostrander
    + AWESOME presentation idea - the best this round!
    + presentation, composition, rendering
    - creature design...drawing a big fish and then increasing number of eyes, fins and teeth = design? Come oooooooonnn...

Tom Garden
    + design, reminded me of the black smokers in the deep-sea
    + atmosphere, colors, depth
    - concept is poor...hehe, you already know
    - though the design is interesting it is a little bit too repetitive

gep
    - color cheme too monochromatic
    + nice creature design, especially the mouth and fin
    + composition

Tyranx
    + Best atmosphere, composition and eye candy
    + ACTION BABY!
    + love the details and color scheme, very drastic
    - the creature design is a bit on the ordinary side...looks like a BIG crayfish or lobster...

Sorry, if some of the crits came too harsh, but i say what i see and think. And don't forget, it's only my opinion and nothing you should really worry about

Also sorry, if it came a little short, it still took me 30-60 minutes (dunno, had a meeting in between)...

Whatever after my entry break i also stopped my comment break now, hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joey-b: Thanks for the crits. The crit on scale reference is now imprinted on my brain. Glad you liked the design.
    Fozzybar: Pretty much the same crits I had for myself. It's pretty obvious that about 80% of my time was put into the creature. I like that one of your crits is actually a half-compliment. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thank you

Thanks for the votes, and the comments (Fozzy, second in a row, I'm honoured!) this one was fun, see you next round!

Cheers

Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate everyone who enjoyed my picture this week. Initially I hadn't planned on making this what it turned out to be. I was struggling with the idea of an Iceberg Devourer and how to make it different than what people were already posting. I was just about to give it up for the week, especially after Xgabo posted. I was like...Ahhhhhhh, damn. I thought it was a fantastic take on the topic. So I let my image sit for a couple days, and then went back to it and decided to take a little less serious approach. The more I worked on it and the vertical composition I had going had reminded me of the poster for "JAWS". So I went with it.
    I know it's not really very original, but it was fun. And that's what this is all about right?

As for my vote this week. I have to give it to Tyranx. I've looked these over and over again and I can safely say this was a very hard round to decide where my vote was going. And there were many deserving works. Joey-B, njoo, Cloister, Lodin, VegasMike, xgabo, Fozzy, BlkC, Jakkas, Cog and Tom. When I finally saw Tyranx's piece, I could hear waves and the glacier cracking and falling with a thunderous sound. I'm not saying that I imagined the sound. When I saw his pic, I heard it!
    Everything about that piece screams illustration\design 101. The compositional elements, forground, middleground, background. The dominant, sub-dominant and subordinate. And you make it look so simple!
    There's no frilly details or unnessessary elements to distract the viewer. This is an amazing image, you should be proud.

I'd like to also thank anyone who cast their vote for me. And a special thanks to everyone who gave each and every one of us a crit. That's not a small task and is highly appreciated.
    Hope to join you all for another round of C.O.W!

Best,
    Glen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ostrander - thx im glad u even thought about mine haha .. still didnt get a vote.. hmm and the next round.. well i hope i can gert something on.. but we'll c

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey-b
    Congnition.SB – i like it allot, but is that water a filter ? or not if not looks good if so.. hmm try urself next time, the creature is very nice the ice looks good also, overal very good
    Interesting disclaimer... It's funny how people judge differing methods.
    It was actually texture from part of a photo, so I guess it's neither. It's all part of my stylistic experimentation, but why bother drawing individual lines when you can get a better effect in a fraction of the time? A lot of people use photo textures, take another look at Tyranx's piece.

Don't limit yourself, use the tools at hand... and no, I stay away from filters. However, there are times I've seen them applied well.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words guys. My 'secret' has been revealed (again)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey congnition - if u use photo's ... dont use m so that we can c u didnt draw it .. u know it doesnt really fot with the rest of the drawing

but cool pic anywayz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But you just said you couldn't tell whether it was a filter or drawn.

Meh, next round is on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but i did notice it was different aw well like u said

meh, next round is on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.