Really need critiques here, I want to learn coloring (update 28/9/2006) - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Really need critiques here, I want to learn coloring (update 28/9/2006)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome line art, color is one of my low points too... just practice, study light and shadow and pay close attention to color variations. Thats what im trying to do..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Poland //Where bears walk down the street
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what can i say it's very cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As someone who´s also a firt-time colourist, I´d say congrats man, your colours are going in the right dierction, looking great. I´d suggest looking at Boris Vallejo´s art and colours as your artwork gives me a Vallejo vibe.

www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
    (Art from my rpg sessions)
    www.612toapocalypse.blogspot.com
    (My webcomic)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you might want to read Color - A Course In Mastering The Art Of Mixing Colors - Betty Edwards I'm only starting out as an artist, and gradually developing my skill set.

If I would give you any advice it's this, as far as colours go, you could be here till a month of sundays trying to figure out what to choose and what to do.

Without sounding to daft but start with the end product in mind, the lines and forms resulted in an image, a script so to speak, then let your colours be the actors and actors and tell the story. Your the director who'se vision they will impart to the us the audience.

It's one thing to show a finish product and let critics comment on what they did and didn't like but its another to let them direct your visions. Too many chefs spoil the broth.

You need to adopt an attitude and liking for specific colours that will translate into language the idea that a picture can say a thousand words.

hope that helps.

Life is pretty much like a game of chess, so make sure your next move is your best move
    -
    I feel like I'm at the best gallery in the world and I'm loving it.
    check out my sketch book
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...eldslaw:yayca:

check my friends site
    Finlay http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86333

Duck_King - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=duck_king

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Like The First Color, More Like Watercolor
    The Drawing Was Great Is Really Fluid,you Print Rithm In The Lines, And A Fresh Look Quite Complicated To Acomplished In Linework, I Know The Subject Was Color But I Have To Salute You For Your Drawing, Really Nice.
    For Me The Color Needs To Be So Fresh And Expresionist Like The Sketh Otherwise The Previous Work Is Erased, No Match...i Don't Know If Make Sense What I Tipe I Don't Know English Very Well, Anyway I Like Your Work And I Hope To See The Result Of Your Experiments...happy Painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prom and justin had really good tips and advice for you that I would even follow on less developed line art just for practice. This and your sketchbook have some really great work in them. I think if you stick around and implement the right advice like Prom's and others, in 3 years time you could be doing some spectaclar work. Take your time with things, and since you mentioned working in an anime style, I think as a Teacher of digital coloring here in japan who is an American, It would serve you BEST to step outside of that experience and paint from the standpoint of a Painter. Learn your color theory. It as well might be a good idea, like in Justin's example to layout first a complete scheme of color, working from darks to lights it provides you a good change to work contrast into a piece from the ground up.

I do wish you pursue and continue to "Paint" your works. -I say "Paint" because even myself, I often have misgivings as to whether I am coloring, or painting an image. At times coloring and painting reach a very fine line.

Best,

Koro

"Oretachi wa Ningen-yori
    Ningenrashii"..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh come on, that's so good it's WRONG.

Wow.

You camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please don't lose those beautiful lines. That is one of the coolest pieces I've seen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fap too your lineart and colors...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep practising coloring recently, and learning lal you guys' words, maybe next week I will start color this picture, you guys can check my sketch book through, sorry haven't updated this thread for ages.

Epias, yeap I will update it fro sure but don't feel I am ready to color those chicks now

heda thanks man

DECYPL, than kyou again you make me feel scary to start colorign actually

Moogle thank you, camera?

koro, thank you man, yeap I agree it is long term process, but i will keep going from the very foundation I am practising it in my sketch book

DIMAGYAN, thank you yeap my color usually make my origional line become very week I hate that

geldslaw, thank you for your kind words man, those are inspiring but I feel i am still in basic stage, even I can imagien what I need but I don't have good actor to perform at all so the outcome is crap what I need is building up my foundation now but your suggestions are very good thanks

JCM, yeap I have a lot of his pictures as reference, thank man

mrpank thanks man

permanent_pixels, yeap agree

BumsUnite thank you man I doing waht you are saying actually you can check my sketch book

Chris Bennett, thank you man that will be helpful by the way your painting is awsome man I have seen al ot of your works awsome, thank you for your help here

Haxxxor thank man, yeap when I start to paint this one I may going to give it a nice bg

Tazzy, XenoX, thank you

Vishaka, yeap he is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, your linework has always kicked my ass.
    keep going with the WIPs i realy want to see your colouring get to the next level.
    -alti

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Amazing linework. I'm speechless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kick ass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this thread is soo cool, talk about profesional action and stuff.
    nice lines and Prometheus is GOD!
    He's colloring is some of the best in the world I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow openanewworld i like your stuff. That knight character is especially cool, although he looks much scarier in the sketch when hes eyes are blacked out. Cant wait to see the final piece of the two women.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a very hard time believing your not just a master who wants some extra attention o_O;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can honestly say I've never seen floating/falling figures with such mass and weight to them. Can't wait to see the finished product!

If you are looking for an oil style reference thats more like the rendering you posted, you are probably going for something more academic/old master.

Maybe like Caravaggio

http://www.christusrex.org/www2/art/...ravaggio25.jpg
    http://www.wga.hu/art/c/caravagg/03/191captu.jpg

or my favorite academic painter Bouguereau

http://www.topofart.com/images/artis...guereau042.jpg

http://musai.blog.ocn.ne.jp/bouguere...-wet_cupid.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ideas: I hate all characters are seperated into good and bad, even Medusa, to me she can be a very innocent girl who just wants to survive sorry don't really know the story of her a lot, so I plan to make a picture which Medusa is trying to protect a warrior who just stabbed her with a sword from other monsters, becasue she remember that warrior is her sister before she is cursed and turned into Medusa, maybe I am crazy haha but please this my imagination
    Actually Medusa isnt really an good or evil character. The greece mythology has alot of duality in its characters, so its an awesome resource for character inspiration.

The story of Medusa is that she was cursed by Athena, snakes grew out of her hair and she could never see any person again. There are two possible stories why she was cursed. The first is that she made love to/got raped by Poseidon in the temple of Athena. And the second was that she lived in a country where the sun never shined, she prayed to Athena to let her go to another country but Athena refused, Medusa got mad and publically insulted Athena.

In the end Perseus comes and kills her, and gives her head to Athena. Athena then uses it to defeat her enemies.

As you can see, the original story has alot more drama then just a good/evil conflict.

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, great drawing, I really enjoy looking through your sketchbook thread, your anatomy knowledge is remarkable.

Well, I understand what you would like to obtain with your colors, but you said you still want lines, well for the type of painting you want to do the end product normally doesn't have any lines, but still uses colors and value to show form,

So you can still use lines, but use them as a guide line to start your paintings, I like the approach Justin took, where he starts with laying in the colors and continues to build up paint,

Here is a tutorial from an artist i'm sure you know of, Noah - Kh, this is a good example of starting with lines and his end result has no lines but still has the painter like look.
    http://features.cgsociety.org/story_..._id=3029&page=

Hope that helps, also search around these forums there are tons of great tutorials on painting. Bumskee's sketchbook thread has tons of good painting over lines tutorials.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr-Joe, amazing never see that before, yeap I have a lot of tutorials, Idiot's tutorial is amazing too, but at the end I guess I have to learn more and practice more, I am still struggling, need to paint more simple objects first, if I can't achieve pretty close to reality I don't have the skill go on to next level I believe, thank you man, I will definately finish this piece at the end, still practicing some other simple stuffs now, yeap I want to use my line to paint but I understand at the end the line has to be covered, thank you again for the good tutorial

Duq, yeap I agree with that, but I don't really like God of War II 's Medusa, she is too fat, but defiantely I like the origional story but just want to draw one version from my imagination

HotMoogleLove, thanks man I have collected the last two pictures, great great art, I should try to learn from them for sure, right now I am still just painting basic shape like sphere

drd, oooo..... I am not and I am poor and alone, don't know why I feel I want to suicide because the color bothers me a lot

Rummity, thank you so much man

ikuru, yeap he is man

Double00ZEro, thanks

alti, thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. You are crazy talented. I can't offer you any critiques right now since you are clearly better than I am. If anything, you can offer me critiques. I just wanted to let you know that I am blown away by your talent and attention to detail.

Rock that shit hard!!!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Holy hell i was kinda freaked out there for a minute, thinking that might be yours...PHEW! Good stuff thoug Good stuff indeed

-E

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow - killer drawing!
    judging from your strong stormrise work I guess you don't need to work on color so much anymore :]
    if you feel you do, study the masters!

keep it up! you seem to have massive talent! and even more importantly massive passion :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i aspire to draw as good as YOU!!!!

Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your color is for sure your weakest point. Why? Because you are a sketch artist. The way to overcome this is by playing with traditional (oils and acrylic) Also, look at the way Daniel C works, he is more of a digital "painter" than you are. What I mean by this is that he blocks in with a lot of "paint" first, and then uses the painting process of adding and subtracting from the object/character. You like to complete an entire drawing and then add the color later, which is just a different approach, not better or worse. Look at James Jean's process, he finishes sketches while adding color underneath afterward , and it works beautifully. You need to learn where to apply saturated colors over muddier color and you can't learn that digitally. James Jean started traditionally, which is why his digital looks so impressive and timeless.

I think your best effort forward would be to attempt what Nicolas has done, try to draw your characters traditionally and paint on them with acrylic or oils. Only to improve what your doing digitally, not as a replacement.

If you play with acrylics, a good process is to do a finished pencil drawing, spray fix it, then put in a transparent mid/dark-tone wash, then put in more transparent darks, then put opaque color over that... but only in the lights.

Oils are practically the same process, look into getting Alla Prima by Richard Schmid if you want to play with them. There are color charts that spell out the perfect realism color palette and what to mix with what to make what. The book is probably the best $40 I ever spent.

Traditional is really hard, but that's why its awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, yeah, and ruanjiajia, another example of digital "painter" more than sketcher... and saturated opaque color over muddy darks. my favorite digital stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for talented artist

I would like you to design a few pieces of artwork for my clothing brand. My company is called High Life and im in the design process. I have a team working on my ideas but i need another more talented artist. Ive seen your work and i would like to employ your talents for a few pieces and depending come back to you for future designs. The pieces are simple and bold but i need the elegance and understanding that u display through your artwork. Contact me at 661-877-8952 if your interested or post on my thread well discuss the detaails. thankyou, hope to hear from you soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 9