Page 45 of 102 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 95 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow, those values gets better everytime!
    "Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    crazy good, man! love these characters!

Thanks
    your character designs just completely blow me away. wicked awesomeness at its best. keep up the good work yo.
    it is better to have sketched and sucked than to never have sketched at all.

Visit my sketch book at
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Devere

Thanks
    ugh.... im jealous
    edges on the more rendered piece are a little blurry.

do you have painter?
    you would probably like painter x
    sketchbook

looking for work! pm me

blog!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 636 Posts
    Haha man, you kick so much ass, it's not even funny anymore. You... do this for a living, right?

Thanks
    Man, I went through your whole book and its crazy how much work youve got. amazing work ethic. Keep it up man, I cant get enough.

Thanks
    I really enjoy how you release your characters in thematic clusters . Any particular projects you working on? Or are you fully exploring a theme before moving on?

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    I LOVE those characters and value studies. That's a really great exercise. I should try that out.

Thanks
    Chiko, thanks but seems I did it wrong

Havoc-DM, yeap I am trying to find a character then I can model it in 3d, always have more driving forces to have a reason to do it haha

Aveh, takmask, Devere, Flaskpost thx

algenpfleger, I am serious your coloring is impressive especially those faces portrait you have done recently, yeap I am a concept artist now and still I am suck at coloring, man if you can give me some harsh critiques I will be very appreciated

roidvoid, thank you I agree that it is too blurry and I will try to fix it, I stick on one software because I don't even master ps

I halfway done another value exercise, but it is too blurry again and loose form and I need critiques thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    hmm,pick a lightsource and accentuate it totally. have a look into danielc's sketchbook,he's always taking a very focused lightsource. also,smaller brushes add more sharpness usually,though one has to be careful about messiness. maybe increase the contrast between skin and clothing?
    as for the characters themselves,i've got no crit at all,very elegant and interesting.
    maybe you have some tips/discoveries yourself? i'd appreciate you stopping by my sketchbook
    cheers
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 636 Posts
    Dude you're being too nice! Well at least I'm happy now hearing that you're professional, if even your level would not be enough I'd have probably killed myself

About the colors. Carnifex saif a very important thing, using a single strong lightsource is quite a challenge in itself. And what helps a lot with the colors is to try to make materials read. If you look at your stuff, you see that you tend to treat pretty much everything the same. Paint a bit more from lief and find out how different surfaces react to light, for example, gold has very saturated, bold highlights, while Cotton tends to reflect light in a more diffuse way. Dive into that stuff

Thanks
    If you want it sharper, I've noticed in photoshop that when you use any kind of transparency the edges get alot softer. In painter many brushes are razor-sharp even when giving a really smooth blend, but when using Photoshop and applications like it. Some tend to use Sharpen tool/filter to get certain edges sharper. It's not a bad thing. Just don't over use it.

Don't be afraid to exaggerate darks and lights when you're just practising to get a more contrasty feel.

I hope any of that helped. And one day I will find your source of inspiration! There must be some secret well in china that spits out awesome ideas to people who walk past it =_= *paranoid*
    "Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."

Thanks
    I have gone through your sketchbook for a couple of times,and each time it blew me away....your linework, characters, it just kicks ass. I wish I could critic something, but I cant (I am still a noob in training and you are like a master for me), so all can say is that keep it up and dont give up, with your talent and skills I am sure you will soon achieve great great things (but as if you havent already, right? )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I think your line art is fantastic.

The inside rendering you do when you paint is too noisy in some cases (not in post #520 though). You have texture and brushstroke banding where an area should be silent. The jittery brushstrokes are especially harmful in places where you have... defining high contrast meetings (light and dark). It's not much work to go in and place an extra brushstroke or two to make sure an edge is clean.

Respect your line art. I noticed that sometimes when you paint over it you color outside the lines, making them wobbly. I do this too. Sometimes I find myself correcting my brushstrokes so much that I 'drift away' from the initial lines, often destroying the curve harmonics I had going with the line art.

Sometimes though, the details works in line art but not when painted with volume, or maybe you just don't see the problem until you start painting...

In some cases you shouldn't paint stuff just because it's there on real humans. Six-pack belly muscles on females are one example. Your post #577 has some girls which are both drawings and paintings. I think those are nice. The internal stuff is clean and you've even used some rim light to make the outlines pop. Appearing and disappearing line art (lost) is nice too. It's like line weight basically, but when painting you can also play with opacity rather than thickness.

Painting can be like drawing too. When you draw a females you omit much of the internal details. Like six-packs or very defined muscles. If you start doing line art for internal details (cross hatching six-packs), you know that the drawing will be messy and the silhouette (supreme power of the outlines) will be lost. It's the same with painting... well, at least with some styles.

You mentioned wanting to keep some of the quality of the line art in your paintings. Line art and painting are apples and oranges, but you can keep some of the qualities. Maybe think like this: if you find yourself painting lots of internal details, think, "Would I do these as lines when doing the line art?". If not, keep the rendering subtle and low noise.

Look at how the delta/shoulder muscle meets the biceps on the line art. That contrast could be transferred into the painting. The same goes go the delta meeting the shoulder strap. The hip bone part too. You've got a line there but it's just blur on the painting. I think it's best to only use this on spots where you actually want focus though.

I sometimes use curves to give my drawing a bit of extra contrast and punch. Sharpen makes things crisp too.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; August 26th, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

17. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Page 45 of 102 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 95 ... LastLast