Sketchbook: Jason's Predators and Other Sketches...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jason's Predators and Other Sketches...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Jason's Predators and Other Sketches...

First, I have to say that this place is wild...I only wish I had found it sooner.

Here are some pics I have scanned in...crits welcome...

Most of my work is focused on Predators because they fascinate me. I work with pencils and occasionally pens when I can't find a pencil. Sometimes I will color, but not that often.

Attached Images Attached Images                                                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words over at my sb.
    Interesting work you have here.
    Seems that there is a dichotomy between the mechanical and
    the natural. You have a greater proficency in the mechanical as opposed to the natural. And when you try to put the two together..there is a bit of a conflict going on.
    Concerning the predator studies...perhaps a different approach might be in order. Instead of copying the outer veneer of the creature...get into the wherefor and why of the creature. Why does he have dreads?...why does he have aligator skin? How do the extra mandibles work? What are the underlying structures that make him/it the way that it is? What niche in the natural order do they fulfill? How did they evolve into the predators and prey that they are....how did they become the top of their respective food chains? etc. Then with questions in hand...go off and make
    your own predator unlike the commerical hollywood version.
    Also understanding the many and varied ways that animals(including humans) are put together is necessary.
    Solidity and structure...
    what I see here is that you are enamoured of comic book anatomy...that cuts both ways....there are exaggerations and mistakes..but it looks freaking cool to fanboys. Understand that the people who draw the comics are well versed in human anatomy and have gone through all the stages of learning and mastering their craft...and also know when and how to break the rules. It's sort of a priveledge you earn after you get all the countless hours of practice in.
    Well...that's just my two.
    Best to ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to possess very good set of skills, but I agree with Helzon, the anatomy is lacking.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helzon and OldNoobie - I totally apprecaite your comments. I rarely show people my work, so your comments are greatly appreciated.

Drawing for me is a hobby and sometimes I got for a couple years without drawing anything. I agree that my anatomy skills are lacking...I concentrate mostly on non-human and draw mostly sci-fi. I've never taken any classes and I know it shows.

Helzon, you comments about going off and making my own version of the Predator is something l have never really thought about doing. I will have to give to give that some further thought and see what sort of alterations I can do while still having it recognizable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a couple more...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really pleased with how this one turned out...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, now I thought I was a big fan of predator
    Helzon and old noobie have pretty much covered the main things to point out. It would be interesting to see your own version of the predator, I really enjoy re designing certain characters Its alot of fun especially when you run out of things to do.
    At the moment im having thoughts on redesigning legacy of kain series characters.

Rich

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may in fact try my hand at designing my own Predator, but right now I want to draw the Predator from the first movie and have all the design characteristics down and perfected first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well then get crackin!

And just to remid you... don't forget to concern yourself with the underlying structure of things, this isn't just anatomy, don't forget perspective!

My sketchbook

My finished work

Get the full scoop on my personal Project 'Titanomachy' Here My Deviant Art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added a few more...

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a lot of improvement from when you started to your latest post. Very good Predator sketches, but i would love to see some more of your original characters. Keep up the good work.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, predators totally rock and so does Schwarzenegger! Loving the line work on those last couple, man these are all so cool, and what could be more awesome to draw? No crits to speak of here. A question though, why is it that not a single post yet has shown the predators feet? They haven't even appeared with boots, don't get me wrong the cut-off effect makes the predator look more cool, but it seems like at least one of them should show the feet...okay so that was a crit, but I didn't realize it until I said it. hehe

Last edited by Gunther409; February 22nd, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
    I think the problem with pen&ink is that there is no Ctrl+z command.

writers and artists have a lot in common -- we both draw from life, we both paint pictures, and we'll both spend to many sleepless nights on our work.

My (new) sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=100982

My (old) Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you do like predator...i like the very first one myself although there is a definate improvemant as the thread goes on
    k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envisor - the last pic is actually designed by me and my next creation will be a totally new Predator face that hasn't been seen before. I wanted to get a good handle on the Predator before I made my own.

Gunther - yeah you're right - I have no Predator feet in my pics! Hmmm...I'll have to correct that in my next drawing.

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah dude, predators rule da world they r amazing man ...nice predators u have .. im a big fan of them too but i dont know why i haven't drawn one yet.. well carry on with those predator..and one opinion just look the predators on the comic book alines vs predators the 5 numbers serie

and a comment.....yeah i would like to see a predator of ur own and about the sketches...well im very rookie to give and advice but more details in the faces would give a better look to them..like fleshy lips and mouths, marks, wrinkles etc..

ohh if i draw a predator i'll share it with u

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=mother+nature

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dan!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been taking a break from drawing and have been learning how to color using Adobe.

The first picture is the first one I colored and I totally forgot to shade! The second picture has a background to give it some life, and the third one I just finished and included a bunch of layers and the shading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Predator fan I see. I've gotta few pred doodles myself. You're doing this iconic charater a lot of justice my friend. Really like you line work and especially your subject Keep up the work and yes CA.Org is Utopia for our kind. I love it as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Muniz!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a while since I updated my sketchbook. I took the advice of making my own designs and have come up with a few different things. The last one is isn't my own idea, but rather a sketch of the new Predator that will be in the AVP Requiem movie coming out in Dec.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, some of those early sketches in the first post were either done in the year I was born or before lol looking at the dates. Well you certainly are getting good at drawing the predator but I see it as, If you really want to improve as an artist, you will start to do different things like anatomy and life drawings and getting ood at draing your own characters from your head. Saying that, if you'd ratjer just have it as a hobby you're pretty good at what you do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook

I'm ashamed to say I have never seen a predator movie, so I'm lacking abit on critisising well, alot of your drawings! But, as others may have said before me, you should work at your anatomy. It differs from drawing to drawing, maybe because you are using a reference to some and not others.

Although the last coloured portrait realy impressed me

Keep it up man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of the coolest movie monsters ever. I love the Schwarzenegger movie! Great to see you doing this fantastic art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your work needsmore overall structure, there are alot of odd little funky things, but the overall picture is very nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gotta love them good ole Yautja. watched concrete jungle a few weeks ago, my fav horror character.

great work and its making me wanna doodle them again. really nice ideas with the character variants and differnt armor styles. nice clean approach too, perhaps you should try doing a comic stip or mini graphic novel? you've got all the back ground info it is for predators it seems, might be worth a shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jason,

thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, I really appreciate it.
    I can see a lot of improvement in your work from first to last post.. keep that up and you'll have some fine concepts in here. As mentioned above, try to work from the inside out. Of course the predator is an alien, but it's anatomy is based on the human figure (when it comes to the body). It's essential to learn how the human body works, so you should go visit some life drawing classes, and if that is not an option, work from photographs. If you're so fond of the predator character, go ahead and draw bodies from photos/life and add the predator's armor after you've got the basic shape/movement right. That'll help you a lot!
    And something my drawing professor keeps reminding me of.. NEVER draw hands too small!

Keep it up.
    cheers.t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone for all your suggestions...I really appreciate it.

I finished one more...its not shaded yet tho...

Last edited by PredatrHuntr; November 1st, 2007 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reely nice pix, (wish i cud draw the faces like u do, lol), ya, wrk on anatomy, and i wanna c mor action poses! mor!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I love predator. those are some cool pics. Here's a close up of a predator I did on a back.
    off the subject, is it just me or did that AVP movie just sucked and blew at the same time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the tat - looks awesome. Yeah AVP did suck big time, but AVP: Requiem is coming in Dec and will redeem the movie franchise again.

Here is the shaded pic:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.