Sketchbook: sic1's Newbie Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: sic1's Newbie Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sic1's Newbie Sketchbook

Introduction: I often thought of my work as similar to that which I could draw in kindergarten, only now it's getting a lot more complex as I draw. Worrying about perspective, proportions, and composition, even though the outcome is still the same as it was when I drew on those faithful days in my youth.

My goal: Following in the footsteps ( I hope ) of MindCandyMan, I hope to be trudging forth in my art journey, for however long it will take. Ever since I can remember I have been interested in computers, so it's quite a change of pace for me to get off the computer and spend time drawing, and looking at objects in a way I never had before.

Who I am: My name is Adam, a.k.a., sic1. , and I am 19 years old. I am an art 'o holic.
    I am planning on teaching myself ( as well as with help from the community, etc. ) art. I believe I can take some classes for art/design in my college, as last semester I was able to take a design class.

I have been lurking around several art boards for a while as to get a feel for the quality of art, and the quality of the community. If anyone has wondered why I haven't posted a thing, look below for the images and you'll see why

Each board is unique in their manners, art, and the like. I've been drawing for a little over a year steadily now. I felt it was at the time in my life where I really needed to start getting input from others. Since CA seems to be a really friendly and helpful community, I might as well start here.

For a while I've been thinking of hosting the images from my old computer, which I use as a temporary host for other things (namely, an art gallery I was working on - yeah there are completed ones, but I wanted a challenge )

I don't know if I could handle the bandwidth, so I figured I'd better host it somewhere. They're currently on tripod, until I get a host, or whatever.

I usually get at least one or two pages a day done... sometimes more if I don't get sidetracked with games, or other things, so I hope to keep this fresh.

To start things off, here are the last 5 pages I created.

[ images removed, see last post ]

Yes, I know I have a long way to go. Yes, there are tons of problems. It will be a long journey, but with a little help perhaps I can one day appease the art Gods and or Goddesses :cool:

Last edited by sic1; June 28th, 2003 at 03:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fixed those previous images, they were giving out the dreaded red x in a box for a little bit.

Here are two from last night/early this morning...

Time for more drawing...

Last edited by sic1; June 28th, 2003 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sic1, from what I see, I think you are learning!
    It's ok that you start with the basic shapes, your sketches are an explosion of shapes

One thing I noticed was that you are in a hurry to finish your objects. If you can, try to plan the shapes. Draw some cubes using the perspective and make them as precise as possible.

I think you have a great energy, I want to see more from you! :chug:

Last edited by Cashmere; June 7th, 2003 at 03:40 PM.

"Mistakes are the portals of Discovery" (James Joyce)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Cashmere! I'm going to attempt some more boxes using perspective lines. Going to do some one, then two point perspective, and take my time

I was reading one of Robert Beverly Hale's books on figure drawing and he mentioned how Durer did many studies on boxes in perspective. It was then when I realized, if I can't block out things with simple shapes, or do anything with simple shapes at any angles, theres really a slim chance I'd be able to do complex objects that satisfy basic principles of drawing. At least that's the way I was thinking... I'm more technically inclined than artistically inclined (more left brain), which is odd because I'm left-handed. I keep hearing about how left handers are right-brain dominant. So I'm trying to tap into the right-hemisphere of my brain.

...and I'm rambling, so it is time to eat some dinner and go draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't know it yet, read this book:
    Drawing on the right side of the Brain - Betty Edwards

Another advice: draw more from life, it's bring you to see the real shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cashmere: omg! Yes! I was looking into getting that book for just this reason. That's probably where half of my previous rant came from -- reading into the summaries of that book. It makes sense to me, the right part of the brain seems to be the artistic half. - or whatever.

Only one page tonight, I'm almost done with another, but I was setting up another monitor. Maybe I can start painting more... I don't know how the real artists use two monitors.

Here we are trying to get the one-point perspective straight.
    I was trying to analyze the position of the box in relation to the sides. It seemed like basically, the box is just a bunch of trapezoids that distort with the position.

I was also trying to find some guideline for the proportions of the box whilst in perspective. It makes sense to me that if it were a cube, the lines that extend from the front drawing plane would be smaller than the ones that make up the square (in one point perspective).

I guess this is why it takes me a bit to understand simple concepts... because the stupid left part of my brain is trying to come up with some technical jargon to make it all seem logical. *slaps brain*

Oh well, here's an update.

Last edited by sic1; June 28th, 2003 at 03:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job sic1! Now your boxes are extremely accurate and they have a determinate reason to be there, a reason to have those shapes and those corners.

I think that the rigid rules of the perspective are fundamental to understand the logic and the geometry of that we want to draw but, in my opinion, this isn't the only way to make a good drawing.
    When I draw, I don't want to know "why" or "what". I only see the shapes. There is a channel that connect directly my eyes with my hand. If I think : "hey, look that head..." immediatly I break that junction.
    I can't draw an head, the "head" is an idea, a word. My eyes look a set of shapes. (Not objects but shapes, the objects have a meaning, the shapes not) I only can to study a method, like the perspective, to transpose on a sheet these shapes. This is the basis not the palace.

When you are drawing, don't worry to give a sense to what you see. The logical instruments (like perspective) are used for help you to put a shape in the right corner, not to draw it.

I hope this is helpful

(How is my english, too bad ???)

Last edited by Cashmere; June 8th, 2003 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's very insightful Cashmere. I guess I should start thinking like that, it would make things a bit easier than worry about all the gory details when all I really need a simple shape with which to base them off of. I have been trying to see the simple shapes, like a box for a head, but after a bit more perspective practice, perhaps it will come easier.

Btw, your english is improving... is Italian your first language? ( allow me to assume, since you're in Italy )

Sorry for the lack of updates, I had to do some work on this old lawn mower, and cut a lot of grass today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same kinda stuff i,m working on at the moment with proportation and views.

Nice work, it would be cool to see some colour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Vader, keep working on the simple shapes, they're starting to sink in... slowly. One of the biggest problems that I am facing is proportions. I'm not really sure how to accurately represent them in space/perspective. That could be partly why my boxes don't exactly look like cubes. I just guess a depth for the line, and go with that. I will keep at it, as it's the only way I can improve.

I think I have some colored pencils around, I could dig them up and work them in slowly. I can probably pull color from life ok, but my eye for color and color harmonies is not tuned at all.

Here are two sketches, and a middle-class assignment June 1-7: volumetric drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff looks like you're really determined to improve. So my advice is: be patient. Take your time. Don't rush things even if you are eager to learn. I had this problem myself and only recently discovered that my drawings look much better when I take my time.

If you like Betty Edwards, take a look at Kimon Nicolaides,too (she borrowed a lot from him).

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jester, thanks for your reply. I really am trying to improve, and I have been rushing into thihngs. It means a lot to hear from the Middle Class members

I haven't been able to update because I've been going through Drawing on The Right Side of The Brain, and doing all the exercises. Some turned like poo, and others were decent.. I'll post the best ones here.

The book is very interesting, and I am trying to practice each of the techniques it explains before I return to my normal drawing schedule. It just so happens that my recent amazon order included Kimon Nicolaides's book too (The Natural Way to Draw.)

Last edited by sic1; June 15th, 2003 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first two are exercises I did from Betty Edwards's book. I didn't quite understand each of the principals explained in the book, but I keep trying to. It has certainly changed the way I look at things for the better. Speaking of which, the last page was done last night, where I truly felt I could 'see' better. I was seeing things clearer, and drawing things in the way they turned out made more sense (to me). Oh well, this is just a little update to keep the sketchbook thing alive. I need to draw a lot more, spend less time in irc, and less time perusing forums

Last edited by sic1; June 28th, 2003 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have drawn what you have seen: not stereotypes but shapes...well done! The chair and the hand give me a sense of real.., these drawings are the description of unique objects you only can see.
    More!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing well, my exercises from her book look rather...plain

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the ongoing encouragement - it really means a lot. It's taking a lot of mental effort to simply attempt to see these shapes. The feeling afterwards was nothing I've ever felt before, it was truly euphoric. After reading Edwards's book, I now can Identify that the left side of my brain has been telling me "don't do this", or "don't do that", simply because they were 'boring'. I have been trying to do contour drawings as suggested in Nicolaides's book "The Natural Way to Draw." It's difficult because the left side of the brain is trying to stop me... because it sees it as "boring," and "a waste of time." I have to fight with that side of the brain just so I can draw again! It's like one big soap opera... I'm sorry - rambling again. I think I do more venting here than actually sketching

Here are some more pages where I could actually SEE what I was drawing (if that makes sense). I haven't been able to get back to this state of mind, but I hope to again, very soon...and more regularly.

Last edited by sic1; June 28th, 2003 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post an update to the sketchbook. I won't be updating this thread any longer. I don't want to contribute such crap when I am so obviously ignoring the visual 'standard'. This is not against anyone, or anything, just a personal choice

I am going to be drawing a lot more For those still interested in my progress, I have been working on a gallery (much like the one on sourceforge.net) which has pretty much all of my art to date. This gallery is hosted on an old computer, so it may go down from time to time (which is why I removed the images from this thread).

I will be posting the link to my gallery shortly, as it's nearing something presentable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sic1, your last progresses were growing up, I don't understand why you want to close this thread now, this place could be the story of your improvements.
    Naturally in a sketchbook there are some bad works but the only good piece is the reason to go on.

However you have said you are going to be drawing more, surely I'll visit your upcoming gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second Cashmere - why stop?

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Cashmere
    However you have said you are going to be drawing more, surely I'll visit your upcoming gallery
    Thanks Cashmere!

Jester, thank you for asking - since I don't have a host yet (and I hate the free ones) I've been using my old computer to host images. Luckily, they are small enough not to disrupt bandwidth. Recently my isp "upgraded, " which gave me a new ip, and totally broke all tthe previous links to images. I feel it'd be easier if I just hosted them on my own gallery so in case that happens again, I can simply update my profile here and have the changes reflect.

I am NOT stopping ... if anything I am pushing myself to draw more ( I realize now that life drawing is key ). The benefit of the gallery is that you can look back on my previous art ( so old that it wasn't even posted here ) and see how far I've come. ( sorta like MCM's thread ).

I almost have the gallery up, but there are still a few bugs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, the gallery is online.
    http://69.140.144.16/php/artgallery/

EDIT: July 27, 2003 - IP Change

Last edited by sic1; July 27th, 2003 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :eek:
    sic1, 600 pages and more of sketches ???
    Sorry, I can't look every page for today It's a GREAT stuff.

But I see you drawn only heads...no background, no still life.
    Recently I can see some contour drawings and they look pretty good. You are making great progress man!
    I like also your anatomy studies, you should post they in middle class

If you can, draw more from life. It's incredible what you are doing: do you draw every day? How much pages of sketches do you draw in a day?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :eek:
    sic1, 600 pages and more of sketches ???
    Sorry, I can't look every page for today It's a GREAT stuff.
    Thank you for the kind words... there is a bunch of pure junk in there (only so you can see progress). The old ones are surely nothing to look at.

But I see you drawn only heads...no background, no still life.
    Recently I can see some contour drawings and they look pretty good. You are making great progress man!
    I like also your anatomy studies, you should post they in middle class
    Hmm, very true. I agree I need a bit more structure in my sketches... I'll have to start drawing more stuff around the house and go into depth more with them. I spent about a month or two this past January just working with heads (thinking I could hammer them out, and move on to another part of the body) - BIG MISTAKE! This was also before I knew a bit more of drawing (mainly perspective). It truly clicked in my head - and I had to ask myself: "So once you get good at drawing heads... you're going to stop and draw another part of the body? What makes you so sure? Are you going to keep drawing heads?"

I have also been staying away from painting, and modeling/ making textures for games. I realize NOW - that I should be doing all these challenges, and excercises that I can because it's great experience! So what if my current attempts will look terrible for a while, I'll be gaining valuable experience, and the exercises will give me a goal and a deadline.

If you can, draw more from life.
    I have recently started life drawings from photos (as you mentioned), and that is beginning to help greatly! I will also do some regular drawings from objects around me.

It's incredible what you are doing: do you draw every day? How much pages of sketches do you draw in a day?
    Thank you! I draw everyday, and I try to get about three pages done minimum. I find if I don't set a certain amount of pages (and let them come naturally) I can keep up with them. Of course, some days are better, some worse. It's very easy to spend time on them now (I've been on summer vacation for a bit ), but I want to put as much time into drawing when I go back to school in the Fall.

It's very frustrating some times...but luckily MCM has pioneered a standard to never give up and push forth; since you're all emphasizing that, I have been trudging through with a passion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sic1, the crocodile in the page 509 is nice and I like the eyes study (506) !
    ...More from life
    Keep it up!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.