Sketchbook: Puck's very first sketchbook for Learnin' and such. (some nudity)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Puck's very first sketchbook for Learnin' and such. (some nudity)

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Puck's very first sketchbook for Learnin' and such. (some nudity)

Heya everybody,

I'm finally trying to get serious about getting better at this whole 'art' thing, so here's my first attempt at a sketchbook. I've got no excuses not to post regular updates, and i hope all you talented artists can please help me with your crits and comments.

I'm going to try and post a lot of character sketches from life and reference as well as colour studies from photos.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Puck; December 4th, 2006 at 06:55 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've really got something going there in the polar bear sketches. i'd recommend trying that out more. try and carry that shading style over to the tree man. i think it'd work out nicely

polylover.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya puck, I'm really liking the Polar Bears, great style. Love to see you post more and develope that style. Good personalty in them, monkey too.
    The painted Ent looks really nice, but I'm with character, I'd like to see more pen renderings.
    Looking forward to more.

--
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your feedback already Character and Kitiker.

As per your advice here's some more pen renderings i did today. They are from photographs my girlfriend took at Singapore zoo. I'd like to try sketching animals from life so I'm going to make a trip to Taronga Zoo (I'm in Sydney, Australia btw) sometime soon and get some real drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm enjoying the animal sketches here...my critique would be in the treeman concept, I feel that there should be more contrast to the whole piece. Still a nice piece though =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback aryul. I actually started with a very contrasty treeman from a sketch I'd made a week ago, but i thought it was too much so i reduced the contrast and put some colour into it. Here's the original treeman before i tweaked it for a comparison. Not really sure what to do with it really, I don't think the underlying drawing is very strong (too flat?) so I'm probably just going to forget about it and start something new.

Here's two more PS sketches i just did as well as some pencil sketches of friends and family (as well as some self portraits).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another PS colour sketch and two pages of quick nude sketches. I had an ACDSee slideshow going at 1-2 mins per pic on the second screen and tried to get as much down as i could. It's a poor substitute for life drawing, but until i can get that happening again it will have to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey puck, I like the portraits. Very life like and consistant for many different styles. Especially comparing the first and last (I'm assuming he's the same dude), your loose drawings still convey the same expression, personality, etc. Impressive!
    Love to see a finished portrait with greater range of tone and shadow.
    Orange fellas are a neat study and the nudes are great, keep em coming.

--
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comments Kitiker. That's my dad, I've attached a painting i did of him so you can see a finished portrait.

Apart from the PS sketch, all of these are paintings i did a while ago (is that allowed in a SB?).

Comments and Criticism appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow those last paintings youve posted are excellent! I really like the style and colors you used on them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some crazy crap in your last post Puck- I love 'em, completely unexpected. The portrait of your father is very emotional, sad. Is there a story there?
    Whats the medium in your paintings? And the last few- self portraits?

--
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Berf for the comments. Those coloured paintings kind of evolved on the canvas and it was fun working out the shapes as i went, but i think they could have benefited from a bit more planning as some of the drawing is a bit weak.

Hey Kitiker, thanks for your continuous feedback! The seven deadly sins (the coloured ones at the end) were all painted in acrylic, burnt umber and white, and then colour glazed over the top in oils (that's why they are only one colour, i got lazy) Oh, and they're all self portraits, which i think can be put down to laziness at the time as well.

The one of my dad and grandma are straight oil paint.

Re: my dad, it's a bit of a sad story. He'd been paralysed for about 15 years after a stroke, and has been plagued by ill health and constant heart attacks and mini-strokes for the past 10 years or so. It finally caught up with him in December last year after he was diagnosed with cancer everywhere in his body, and then on the way to Chemo (which nobody really thought would do any good anyway) he had another heart attack and finally kicked the bucket. I painted that portrait a year before he died and although it's a bit sad, I'm really glad i finally got around to painting him while i had a chance.

Here's some pencil sketches from photos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh damn Puck, sorry to hear that about your Dad. I'm glad to hear you were able to honour him with your painting before he past away- it gives so much more meaning and emotion to that piece (I feel bad now that I called him just "the same dude"!) Although somewhat sad, it has a very strong feeling of warmth, like he was cared for and loved.

I can't believe I didn't pick up on the 7 deadly sins. They look terrific- I'll have to go back and have a better look when I have the time.
    I love your line portraits, esp. the top left on the first page above. I would like to see more value and finished pieces in your portraits though. Your faces are alive- but a little flat.

--
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kitiker, no worries regarding my dad. If it was upsetting to me i wouldn't be posting the story in the first place . He was a good dude. He polished off a bottle of red every day... and he was an artist as well, although like all the self-proclaimed bohemians at the time, he wasn't very productive.

Yeah, the 7 deadly sins have alot of symbols and metaphors in them that i added as i went. They're not very clever and some of them are quite cheesy, but it's fun hiding stuff in paintings like a "where's wally" or a Graeme Base book (i loved The 11th hour).

You're right about the flatness of my drawings. It's something I'm very conscious of as i tend to draw by following the 2d shapes rather than building the forms up from 3d primitives like cubes and spheres. It's not as obvious when I'm drawing from reference, but when i try to make up figures from imagination, i really notice the lack of depth. I'll try some figures over the weekend built up from primitive shapes and see if i can improve in that area.

Thanks heaps for the feedback. Here's some other sketches. The bear one was a wip for a cgtalk challenge that i never finished and the others are just for fun.

-Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some figures based on primitive shapes. They're from a Hogarth book i have. I'll have a go at making up poses next by using his methods.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some i tried to make up without reference, I'm really liking the process of building them up from primitive shapes, especially the way hogarth has the torso and hips and two seperate boxes. I'm having headaches with the head shape though, specifically the area under the chin when the head is looking up. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those paintings are cool, its very interesting to see how free you are with your imagination. The pose research I like a lot, didnt loomis say somethign about researching poses pays in divident, anyway, theyre cool, and there is also potential for growth i think. cool scetchbook.

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Banshax. Yeah, Loomis is very inspirational to read.

I've just started weekly Lifedrawing classes again, here's the first round of sketches. Sorry about the bad quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Puck,

Very good skill with pencils. I see what you mean with blocking in now I guess .
    As for my favourites, I think I'd have to go with the walker in the first post and the treeman. Those are neat!

Cheers,
    Sigi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great and wpndewrful animal kteches. You really captured a lot of texture and likeness of the animals without cluttering up the pictures. I also liked the thumbnail nudes you are doing. Keep up the good work!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I see what you mean about the 3d in the gestures. How long does 1 gesture (the ones in post #15) and what is the first part or line you put on paper?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Silverstri99 and SigiLee, thanks for the comments!

SigiLee, the gestures in post #15 are copied from a Hogarth book, the ones afterwards I tried to make up using the same method. I think they took about 5 mins each, i don't think they could have taken longer than that, but i tend to underestimate how long i spend drawing something. For these ones, I started with the torso, which was sketched in like a sideways barrels, and then drew the legs and arms as cylinders, afterwards adding contours to bring out the muscle shapes (which I'm sure arn't anatomically acurate). The heads were draw last.

Here's a photoshop sketch I've been working on for a few days, I was hoping to turn it into an oil painting. I used photo reference for the hands and face. I was hoping to get that 'sub surface scattering' effect you get with candles, where the wax at the top glows from the light bouncing around inside the candle. Crits would be very welcome as it will be hard to change once i put it in oil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some more lifedrawings. 1 min for the sketchy ones to an hour for the last one. I'd forgotten how important lifedrawing is until i started doing it again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dig the candle man. nice studies. keep it up. I also like the skewed perspectives of your paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats some pretty cool and some pretty crazy stuff you've got going on here dude! I really like those figures drawings

Great stuff

Note to self: START DRAWING FROM LIFE!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Azrael and John for stopping by.

Here's a sketch i was making up to put in the halloween chow but i didn't finish it in time (and there were better works arlready there so i chickened out!)

I really have to thumbnail my sketches first and try a few variations, rather than just rendering the first sketch i make. I think that should help me improve and it's the next thing I'll work on in the challenges.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another round of lifedrawings as well as the Nov 1 self portrait.

Currently Living in Woodbridge, VA (Washington DC Metro area)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude I really dig your stuff and admire the fact that you have the balls to put your stuff out there for the world to see. KUDOS and keep up the good work I can see the progression in your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jn2art and gmags.

It is bloody intimidating, putting sketches online when there's all these really talented artists pumping out images in an hour that i would be so proud if i made in a week. For so long i lurked and my stuff never got better, I kept thinking that i'd wait till i was any good before i posted stuff, but I've realised that it's the journey of improvement that's the most important thing about these sketckbooks. I'm sure it's something alot of beginner artists feel, that they want their work to be admired even though they know deep down that it doesn't compare, so they hide it away or post it on deviant art (ouch), and only show their mum who say it's the best thing in the world.

I'm hoping this sketchbook will be one of those "look at the improvement he's made in the last 1 or 2 or 10 years" type of thing.... so if anybody does stop by and sees something lacking, please take the time to point it out cause it would help me heaps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hellooo again. I haven't updated for a while, which is a combination of being very busy and very lazy. Here's some lifedrawings from last night. And a page of coping nudes off the net, which wasn't very helpful or educational, but i got to look at nudes, so it's was still worthwhile.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3