Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts

Dwarf Fortress

In terms of complexity, this game is an atombomb in your face, and I'm talking 'Tsar Bomba' here.

I just got started playing... and it's just mindboggling. Basically it's a roguelike/nethack game set in a large 'sandbox' world, but at the moment the game is mostly about building a Dwarf Fortress. Think a bit dungeon keeper combined with the Sims, then UltimaOnline or RuneScape for crafting and cooking stuff... then put that in a large persistant world with physics like weather, water flooding, wildlife, other civilizations. You have to manage your team of dwarfs so they have a quarters filled with items they craft, then you'll need to find food and store so you'll make it through the winter. As your fortress grows you'll attract more dwarves, and their skills will increase. This enables more advanced stuff to be built. Enemies might try to siege the fort, so you'll need to make fortifications and weapons eventually. The more you're scratching the surface, uh... the bigger you realize the iceberg is...

Review
    http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/1491

The game is really, really, really difficult to play at first, effectively alienating all but a fraction of the gamers out there. The 'gfx' takes some hours to learn, but once you can read it you forget about it and your imagination kicks in. I'd really prefer a context based mouse interface over the keyboard one.... we'll see how it develops. The plans the devs have for this game are... grand to say the least, but right up my alley.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I just spent an hour simply trying to figure out where my guys were.

I've picked up on most of the gfx, I just need to figure out how to...do...anything.

From everything I've read about this so far it seems pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks
    I've been playing this the last two weeks, and I am consistently blown away at the depth of this game. It's downright amazing. This game epitomizes the promise of indie games to me. Completely unassuming little games that do things that nobody else thought games could or should do.

If you haven't seen them yet, http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com has had a lot of really helpful posts about the game recently. The learning curve of this game is very high, and his posts give you a good overview of what you should be paying attention to.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks. I've been reading some tricks here and there. My biggest concern is food atm. Farming seem to be something you do a bit into the game, whilst hunting is very opportunistic, and fishing... well, I can't seem to be able to make the trap, I might need something more than wood.. a skill maybe. I'm guessing the fishery can put the stuff in the barrels I made though.

Anyways, many designers have probably thought of this idea, but won't touch it because it's time consuming, daunting, and completely not for the mainstream market where the publisher money is. I don't think the idea itself is very original since it's 'just' a [simulate everything in the universe down to the smallest detail feasable] -idea (Applied to a roguelike in this case).

Like I've said many times before, how cool wouldn't it be with a persistant dynamic simulation Zelda 1 game where Ganon really is evil and manages his troops of tektites and peahats, and there's an actual underground resistance of elfs, and so on. The same idea can be applied to any game, like Metroid 1 or Quake 1. I'm so sick of my actions in games having no other consequence than the progression of cutscenes.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 21st, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    That's weird, I was just playing Dungeon Keeper for the past few days again and was thinking how it would be like to play with one of the "hero" factions but with a Dungeon Keeper gameplay, dwarves, humans, etc, what buildings would they have if above ground, what rooms if underground, what units, spells.

The look of Dwarf Fortress is alienating me a bit, but thats judging from a screenshot and not actually having played it. I'm gonna download it and see what its about.

Thanks
    I'm so sick of my actions in games having no other consequence than the progression of cutscenes.
    That's really one of the hardest parts to emulate though isn't it. I mean it would require human actions to respond to the choices a player makes in a somewhat sophisticated way. I completely see how that would make a game more believable, i just think it's hard to implement on current hardware.

Thanks
    Thanks Prom, I heared of that have but resisted. Your damn link pushed me over the edge, and I am downloading now.

Thanks
    This is my first attempt... very hard to get a good structure while learning.. took me many ingame months to figure out how to make bedrooms, wells, dining halls etc... now I'm out of food.. it was late autumn when I got the floodgate farm up and.. well I'm out of food... my 9 dwarfs are not going to like what's ahead. Didn't manage to make a trading road either.

Attachment 26155

Thanks
    Well I survived... but my pets didn't, kekekeke! *burp* Want a dog biscuit?

Got a strange floor/wall engraving gfx bug when I engraved the same surface twice (in dining hall).

Attachment 26288

Thanks
    I'm playing it right now. The number of strange symbols is overwhelming and most of the time I have no idea what is going on. I don't really know where to start so I'm just digging into the mountain and trying stuff out. I have a feeling that my men will not survive the first winter. My biggest issue is that I can't find the key to access the help function on my german keyboard.
    I think I'll try to really get into this game, it looks like tons of fun. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks
    amazing game. I still can figure out how to make a damn farm. I finnaly got a Still though witch makes my dwarfs happy. They each got their own bedrooms too.

Thanks
    Wow, I have a working floodgate system in my first fortress, this rocks.

Thanks
    Be prepared to read Faqs and wikis to play this game. Yeah, it's cool to have the farm working. I used to think the ascii was annoying, but after a while it's just like 'reading' any game. Ascii has the advantage of being abstract too, and not looking like programmer art or generic hollywood design.

Thanks
    this game sucks.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    This game has pretty good sound quality. The music is funky, sounds like really weird folk guitar.
    Ok, so I just got started, and here's where I'm at:
    Dwarf Fortress

I'm making all rooms 5 x 5 for now, just a habbit from Dungeon Keeper, though I don't know if it makes any difference in this game. I have some silver in some of the walls as well so I'll have to mine those and alter the rooms a bit.

Thanks
    Hehe, lucky. I found nothing but regular stone so far. Made a GFX mod... maybe I can distribute the files if you like it. It's square, but I kept the look. Brightened up some colors.

Edit: New img
    Dwarf Fortress
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 23rd, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    Sure, that'd be great. I like the little beards you gave the dwarves. The game's own graphics are starting to become more familiar, perhaps even nice, in a way.
    I just made a dumb move and a cave-in happened. Silly me. I'm thinking of abbandoning the fort and building another one or returning later... though I'm reluctant to leave because of the silver... oh well.

Dwarf Fortress

Despite the game's massive content, one thing that could be implemented if its not already, is the height and depth at which your dwarves mine. That way, you could further design the shape of the space mined in a way that it would permit areas larger than 7x7 of width being dug without collapsing, since you would mine upwards or downwards in an arch-shape or some kind of dome shaped support. Or something like that, I don't know anything about cave support or whatnot. Also, mining upwards and downwards could be interesting for creating levels in your fortress, and stacking rooms one on top of the other, besides the sides. This could open some nice possibilities for stairs, level traps, etc.

Thanks
    Prom the square look is great, I would love to use that setup.

I built a floodable trade depot but I am hesitant to use it since drowning the caravans might result in no immigrants for a while. Someone on pennyarcade also said that the humans came and owned him.. years after he killed a caravan.

Also, I need some kind of birth control for the cats, the fuckers are EVERYWHERE, sleeping in the beds. It is not even possible to butcher them.

Thanks
    Ok, another random thought. I think its great that there is such an abundance of resources and ways to get them, refine them, and make products. Lots of ingenious stuff, like craftdwarves using bones to make certain goods. Among all the craft varieties, one thing missing (or perhaps not, at least to where I've seen) are candle makers. All of the rooms seem to be light, but from where? Candle making and torches could provide lighting for rooms that would otherwise fall into darkness, perhaps certain monsters use this darkness to move about and attack the dwarves. There could be a set task for dwarves to add and light new candles / torches once the current ones burn out, and you would need a supply of them so as not to run out, created by crafters in their own workshops.

Thanks
    Got a cave in too. I'm trying to find a nice little modular system... still working on it.

Posted a blurb on my gfx change on their forum, scroll down a bit. Here
    Let me know if it's working.

to slay kittens, press z, then goto the animals menu. scroll down and mark with b as in butcher, the job will auto in the butcher shop. You need to do it with 2 animals of the same type. once you have 2 meat pieces, make a meal in the kitchen.

Thanks
    It's square, but I kept the look. Brightened up some colors.
    I think it needed that change. Duh, didn't even think about just changing that. I thought it looked a bit squashed. Thx Prom.

Thanks
    Updated pic in post #16

This is a bit after the anvil dude arrived (before first winter I think) but my map is temperate so I'm not sure if there is a winter yet. I built the whole thing kinda fast, no idlers, skilled workers.

My Team looks like this:
    . 2x Miner: - you get 2 pickaxes (default equipment) so keep those.
    . 2x Grower: - works on farm fields, hauls rock before that. Then I turn hauling off under u, c, p, l, menu (units/viev cre/prefs/labor) so they can work the fields undisturbed.
    . Mason: could also have Building Design in case you want to engrave (decor). Edit: oops Building design is architecture, not stone engraving.
    . Carpenter: is also my Woodcutter and AxeDwarf...
    . Mechanic: is also Cook, Butcher, Brewer, and whatever temporary jobs. The mechanic is good for making the floodgate system work quickly.

I put 'competent' or more on the main skills. No fisher or trapper, they're just wasting time.

Equipment:
    . 2 pickaxes
    . 1 Axe (saves you 100p).
    . Various seeds, 30 of plump helmet spawn (it's a seed).
    . 3 cats and 3 dogs.
    ...then there's a neat little trick where you can buy brew/wine/ale and various meat of different kinds in small quantities. This gives you a free barrel each. Barrels are useful later for storing food.

I have yet to figure out Brewing and Smithing/Forging.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 23rd, 2006 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    Prom, you have pretty much the same team and equipment I had. I bought tons of different food and alcohol so that gave me a lot of barrels + extra wood from the wagons.

I don't really know how to design the rooms and everything so that is pretty chaotic at times. I dug two corridors in the beginning, one to reach the river and to start building rooms. Now I feel kinda stupid because the farm takes up space I could need for other stuff. I think I'll try some stuff with this fortress and then make start a new one where I use the outside river for farming.

Btw, my last fortress got flooded when I tried to drown the caravan. Karma I guess.

I'm really looking forward to reaching the magma river. Some guy on pennyarcade build a magma channel over the chasm and the river to flood the outside world with fire. I guess that comes in handy when the larger attacks start.

I haven't build a single channel yet so I don't know how that works.. you don't seem to have a floodgate at the river.. Did you just build a channel to the mountain and installed two floodgates there?

Here's my current fortress.
    edit: Thanks a lot for the square tile mod by the way, it's much better and I finally see my blues.
    edit2: Prom, I just saw you had your floodgate levers on the outside. Later enemies can operate levers, so you might want to put some traps there or something.
    Last edited by nacho; September 23rd, 2006 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    I survived my first winter without any problems, it's mid-spring..
    We were nine dwarfs until a minute ago, TWENTY immigrants arrived. This is insane. People will die. I'm thinking of assigning 10 of these guys stupid jobs in a flood chamber just to get rid of them. There's no way I can feed these many mouths. Decisions will have to be made.

There are two children in the group that just arrived, both of them need booze to get through the day. WTF.

Thanks
    Hahaha mmm flooding, I did that with my last map when I got bored of it. I had this elaborate base set up and were just going to dig in to the river... it was too far in and I didn't get there in time, and it was too far to haul back to base.

so with the new base I used the outside river instead... but I didn't think the construction through since I was stressign to get the farms up. I'll try moving the lever to the inside though.

Hmmm I THINK I can make a lever, hook it up to a floodgate indoors, then pull it, THEN hook it up to the other two floodgates to the river. This way I have a foolproof system that prevents my base from flooding... or maybe not...what happens when I pull the lever again and the room is flooded?

..indoors...X.......farm.......XX____outside channel_____

I'm thinking of doing a lever controlled pillar wired collapse trap room in case I run into demons. They can't survive that can they?

Save as gif by the way... it's just <16 colors so the file is small.
    The display is 80*25 characters I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    haha, last i actually had a dream about this game only from reading about it! Gonna download the game today and see if i can keep myself busy in my moments of spare time until the guild 2 comes out!

Thanks
    A miner has struck water, flee the mines!

Dwarf Fortress

Now, riddle me this.. should I lock the door or not? Is he going to make it?

I think there's an order for evacuation atleast.

Edit: Hmm I locked the door, let the water hit it, then I unlocked it and he swam out O_o. Strange how the water didn't leak out... Maybe the floodfill code only checks locked doors, then doesn't update for unlocking (if it now floods thru unlocked doors I do not know, I think I saw it do).
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 23rd, 2006 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Hehe, my workers are 'ecstatic' over my 'completely sublime tastefully arranged' statuegarden, got a <<=Moonstone statue=> there (jeweled). My Workers are turning out masterpieces. Jeweler tuned legendary after 'Fey Mood' so I'm throwing jewels on stuff to make it all spiffy. I have too much food! Almost done engraving the living quarters.

Just ran into some nasty lizards though... eek.

Dwarf Fortress

Thanks
    how much time cosuming is it ??

it looks so damn weird, I have to try it
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Dwarf Fortress

Tweaked it a bit so the double lines are undotted, but the single line are dotted. This makes the smooth walls look more complete, and the legs on the chair/stool are longer. If I were to make the single line undotted then the seat on the chair would look too long (like a table). I think the single lines are used for rivers mostly, doesn't matter much if they're dotted.

(I just replaced the curses file on the server, so if you are already using my thing just replace yours too)

---

Yes, it's very time consuming, loads of micro managment, but the dwarfs are pretty autonomous when it comes to eating, fighting and roaming. The learning curve is STEEEEEeeeep.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast