Visualization?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Visualization?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Visualization?

I'm hoping someone might have advice on improving one's visualization skills. In specific, mentally overlaying pre-conceived mental images over the drawing space so that one may "trace" over the overlaid picture (and preferably not lose sight of the mental overlay until the drawing is complete).

I have a little success with this method, occasionally, but I can't seem to get the mental image to stay with me. It just kinda fades. I used to have a much better grasp of it when I was a child, but I didn't have as much appreciation for the ability at the time.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this come naturaly with practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pratice drawing things in real life without looking at your paper, the result will be very abstract, but it strengthens the link between brain and hand. When I did this exercize in college I thought the art teacher was some crack-brained tree hugging hippie lady. But it's one of the most valuable lessons I've had.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now, that's more what I'd call a valid answer! Thanks.

However, I'm still open to more suggestions and speculations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude.. i had/have the same problem.. One thing i found out that helps is.. Draw thumbnails, and draw them quick b4 the image in ur head starts fading. After a while ull b able to hold on to the image in your head longer and longer.

As an exercise your can: look at an object, figure, environment, or anything.. for like half a min ( as your looking pretend that your drawing what ever u see ) after the half a min.. draw what ever u saw from memory.. this exercise helps a number of drawing issues

Hope that helps..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that idea. I'll be emphasizing it in my practicing. Thanks.

Keep 'em comin', people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"focus" technique

I had the same problem when I first started. One of my professors gave a lesson on technique that helped me alot. I don't know what your technique and drawing habits are like, but hopefully it will help you too.

When drawing something from your head it helps to draw the image like you are bringing it into focus. Start by quickly sketching out the basic form. This should be quick and loose, no detail, "blurry". The goal is to get the basic forms down on paper. Then gradually fill in the details bringing the drawing more and more into "focus". Your pencil should never stop moving or linger in one area of the drawing for too long.

Getting the overall shapes down on paper helps to reinforce the image you are holding in your head. If you distract yourself with the details of one area too soon you may loose the rest of the image.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: "focus" technique

Originally posted by Liam Hartman
    I had the same problem when I first started. One of my professors gave a lesson on technique that helped me alot. I don't know what your technique and drawing habits are like, but hopefully it will help you too.

When drawing something from your head it helps to draw the image like you are bringing it into focus. Start by quickly sketching out the basic form. This should be quick and loose, no detail, "blurry". The goal is to get the basic forms down on paper. Then gradually fill in the details bringing the drawing more and more into "focus". Your pencil should never stop moving or linger in one area of the drawing for too long.

Getting the overall shapes down on paper helps to reinforce the image you are holding in your head. If you distract yourself with the details of one area too soon you may loose the rest of the image.

Hope that makes sense.
    woha. thats almost creepy. thats how i draw, and ive never had any art education

Don't just practice. Also Practice the right things, the right way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Now mix it all up

All these ways are great but I actually use 2 of them together.

First the thumbnails, real fast small doodles in the corner of the paper and then I start blocking the whole composition, working in more and more detail where I want the viewer to look, working in full size.

I focus, completely, to lock the image in my minds eye, almost like looking around at a "real" location or what ever I'm drawing. I can walk around a vehicle in my minds eye and stand back to see characters act.

But I'm not sure how I can do that.

I think that learning to sketch fast and accurately is the key for me.

Hope this helped,
    Leo

www.fabpics.com/leo

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.