spaceship on a desert...or that's what it's supposed to be.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: spaceship on a desert...or that's what it's supposed to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

spaceship on a desert...or that's what it's supposed to be.

A illu of mine, started as an env piece and then I went crazy with those silly spaceships to make something a la sparth (or vyle, or barontieri).
    It's almost finished and since i'll look at it tomorrow and i'll probably hate i'd like to have a couple of tips from you.
    thx!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first suggestion would be to add more detail. I can't tell quite what's going on with the "spaceship" - it looks more like some sort of big metallic building thing in the desert than a vessel capable of space travel. Is it supposed to be gunmetal dull or shiny? Wouldn't it be picking up more reflected color/light from its surroundings? And its friend... is that a second, same-sized object in the sky, or a smaller one hovering over the first ship? Right now, it looks like a smaller version on roughly the same plane - dunno if that's a perspective or color problem or what, but it took a while for my brain to click on the possibility that it was a twin of the ship/shape on the ground.

But, this is all MHO.

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My crit is that first off vary the brush strokes and brush types.. using smaller brushes for the buildings farther away will greatly increase the depth. Also, give the buildings slightly different shapes and colors (with shadows perhaps, roughly). As for the ships, as Brightdreamer pointed out, the ship above, which I believe is a more distant version of the same ship, is hard to distinguish at first glance. An easy method of fixing this would be to make the whole thing a lot lighter (due to the particles in the air) and more dull (less contrast).
    I'm not sure what is about this picture, but I immediately liked it... I think it's the simple, yet effective, colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As said above, its hard to distinguish the objects from each other.
    Also try placing the spaceship in front a little higher or lower, now you have it placed on directly on the horizon, giving a building feel.
    As for the scenery, the sky tells us its a sunny day, while the rocks indicate a more cloudy day. You might want to give it some more colors and contrast.
    Good luck!

Last edited by Beershite; September 21st, 2006 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morning!

I think it is a nice start. I like the composition of the canyon in the lower part of the image, but maybe push the atmospheric perspective a little more. In other words, objects in the distance should be a little more fuzzy and muted, while objects up close should have more detail, crispness and color intensity.

Another suggestion...I feel like the large spaceship is a little too pushed up against the border of the image. Maybe pull it in to the center a tad so it has some breathing room. Or go the opposite direction. Make it much, much larger so that it MUST be cropped by the border and then fade the farthest parts into the distance using atmospheric perspective again.

I can't wait to see this when you've finished it!

Best,

-K.I.D.

Last edited by K.I.D.; September 21st, 2006 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good crits here allready. The ships are a bit close together. I think you should make them overlap (with a lot of admospheric perspective) or place them a bit further apart. It's often a bad idea to make shapes just kiss eachother.
    I presume we're looking at the shadow side of the ship. What would really help is putting some brightly lit surfaces or rim lighting on the parts of the ship we can just see and are lit by the sun. This will make it pop out a bit.
    For the composition add some pixels to the left to give the ships some room.

Hope this helps

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.