Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    thesinfulsaint - that info is great! Thanks a bunch for sharing it with everyone else. I'm definitely looking forward to being in the same school with enthusiastic and friendly people such as yourself. :3

Tarn - I think most art schools welcome an extensive array of mediums. I'm also self-taught, so it's tough. To this point I'm going to include graphite and oils, and acrylic. I'm also going to try for some watercolour and charcoal, though I'm yet to really use them. If you tinker enough you can probably get a decent feel for new mediums and use them in a portfolio. I think showing fearlessness and the will to experiment may outweigh the slight technical shortcommings. You'll definitely need some colour in there, regardless, so graphite and charcoal probably won't be a good idea.

I have some questions for the more informed folks, as well. What's the deal on including digital pieces on your portfolio? I'm working on a digital painting right now that I'm very proud of. I put a lot of time into it and would really like to submit it alongside my traditional stuff - unless this is a faux pas that I'm not aware of.

I'm going for illustration and plan to have all my admission stuff (application, portfolio, fees, etc) in by sometime in December. Is this too late? It seems like people are sending in their applications without a portfolio, should I be doing this as well?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    rblitz7-- I don't know... Gestural drawings *do* show motion, but they're not finished pieces. Ringling is interested in seeing more finished work. Figure drawings are great. Gestures... not so much. At least, that's the impression I got. I mean, think of it this way. What is an admissions officer going to be more impressed by? Oh, look, more gesture drawings... Well, those are nice, I suppose. Or, on the flip side, Wow, that's an awesome piece-- he/she probably spent a long time on this. Look at the motion they threw in there! Look at the creativity!!

So yeah. I guess gestures *do* show motion, but there are better ways to show motion than gestures. Like one of the ladies I talked to said, yeah, they're great sketchbook pieces and they're great practice. They're very important. They just won't look as great in a portfolio, which should be reserved for finished pieces.

Tarn-- Well, I don't think you should completely avoid paint just because, like Ryn said, you need some variety of both subject matter and media in your portfolio. Painting is pretty much a staple in any art curiculum. I would include at least 2-3 paintings in your final portfolio, but I don't think you need to do a lot more than that if you're uncomfortable with the medium. The idea of a portfolio is to showcase your strengths. If painting isn't your thing, don't over-do it. I know that I'm not putting in any water color in my portfolio at all just because I'm not very familiar with it.

And yes, application ASAP, Portfolio later. And as far as getting in the port early--You can probably ignore everything I've said about turning in the portfolio early. I mean, if you finish early, great, but you need to take your time on your portfolio. Send in the app really early, but don't rush your art. The art is the most important thing, and even if you turn in your portfolio on December 1st, you have to be considered the same as someone who turns in their portfolio January 14th.

Ryn-- Aww... I'm glad to help. I really look forward to meeting everyone on here in person one day! As far as the digital thing goes, it should be fine as long as you're using a REAL program like Adobe Photoshop or Painter. I've been told to stay away from including Oekaki stuff in portfolios, even if it's really nice oekaki work. Also, if you're doing a digital painting, I *really* hope it's something you're referencing from your own photos (since it's kind of hard to reference from life using digital media). Colleges *hate* seeing working that was referenced from a magazine or online photo. Stick to your own--that way, EVERYTHING belongs to you.

I don't think there will really be a problem turning in your application and stuff in December, but why wait? The application is the easiest part of the whole process! YES. Send in your app without the portfolio. The portfolio can come later.

Last edited by thesinfulsaint; October 2nd, 2006 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Well I thought they wanted to see a lot of life drawing, so I figured my dog.. for the motion drawing. Ill have to be creative and think of something to incorporate in there.

Last edited by Shipsailsouttosea; October 2nd, 2006 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipsailsouttosea
    Well I thought they wanted to see a lot of life drawing, so I figured my dog.. for the motion drawing. Ill have to be creative and think of something to incorporate in there.
    Yep. They want to see life drawings, meaning you reference from direct observation. It'd be a little hard to keep your dog in the same position long enough so that you could draw him/her catching a ball.

Life drawing also typically refers to nude drawing classes. These are great if you can get to them, but there are people who've gotten into the CA program who didn't have any life drawings. The most important thing to include are creative approaches to still lifes that somehow suggest motion.

Thanks
    draw your dog while he/she is asleep dreaming about catching a ball

have the dream done in cubism

XD

are there any past applicants that have their admissions portfolio online? be nice what they're after

Thanks
    The rep I talked to was FOR finished life drawings, but he really didn't seem very into including gestural figure stuff in the portfolio.
    It also depends on how polished-looking your gestures are, and that you should never include more than one or two pages of them or other "sketches." It just gets boring for them after that. Just make sure the ones you show are very good, because they're not going to cut you any slack just because you spent less time on them than you did on an hour-long pose and that you have more than the minimum slide count of finished pieces before you add them.

Thanks
    What's everyone up to? Right now, I'm practicing motion art, because I've never really drawn it before. I'm glad you guys made this thread!! It's really interesting, and helps me a lot.

Thanks
    Do you think its neccesary to visit the school? cause my guidance counslor really seemed to push it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rblitz7
    Do you think its neccesary to visit the school? cause my guidance counslor really seemed to push it.
    While it's not strictly nescesary, I would definately reccomend it sometime before you make your final decision to attend any school. It's invaluable to scope out a school in person and see if it feels like a good fit or a bad one. Sometimes a "vibe" can tell you a lot and you won't get that from a catalogue or a NPD.

Plus, it helps to alleviate some of that nervousness during move-in.

Thanks
    Yep. Dito to what oddyti said.

Plus... Any excuse to go to Sarasota is nice. If you do visit, make sure you check out Siesta Key Beach. It's about a 20-30 minute drive from campus, and it's super, super nice. When I visited, I wound up finding around 40 sand dollars in two days.

Not that that should have any effect on whether or not you go to Ringling. Everyone knows that during their senior year, CA majors don't even see the light of day.

Thanks
    Thatís why they call the CA labs "The Cave"(or at least thatís what it was called when I did my tour), the only tan you will get is from the warm glow of the Computer monitor.

Thanks
    So when are you guys sending out your portfolios exactly? Sooner the better, right?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rblitz7
    So when are you guys sending out your portfolios exactly? Sooner the better, right?
    Decemberish is my goal, but the sooner the better, I'd say.

Page 5 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2