The Ringling College of Art and Design 2007 Thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Ringling College of Art and Design 2007 Thread

This is a thread for anyone interested in going to the Ringling School of Art and Design in 2007. Feel free to share your thoughts and questions. (Just a reminder that if you want to get into the computer animation or the game art & design program the deadline for turning in your portfolio is January 15, 2007, while other programs such as Illustration can wait until later in March I believe)

THE NEW STUDENT CENTER

Ringling School of Art and Design's most ambitious construction project in its 74-year history is now taking shape! Our new 5-story Student Center is fully under construction and scheduled to open in the fall of 2006.

Destined to be a dynamic environment for learning, living, and creating, the new Student Center will provide 80,000 square [url=foot of additional office, classroom, and residential space.

On the first floor will be the Office of Admissions, a fitness center [complete with locker rooms and shower facilities], and dance/exercise studio, "The Fishbowl" [student lounge/ recreation area], School mailroom, as well as other student activity and meeting spaces. In addition, a 300-seat exhibition hall is being designed which can be used in an auditorium-type configuration, or divided into four individual classroom spaces.

The second floor will house the Office of Financial Aid, the Bursar's Office, the Office of Student Life, the Center for Career Services, the Academic Resource Center, and will contain a variety of conference rooms, student meeting spaces, a commuter lounge, media rooms, and more!

The third floor will be home to the Department of Computer Animation including classrooms for Traditional and 3D Animation and Game Art and Design, as well as faculty offices, and open computer labs.

Floors four and five will be home to 96 students. Each residence will include a private shower/bathroom. On each floor there are two laundry room facilities and three student lounges.

This exciting new space will be dedicated to the academic, professional, and social development of all Ringling School students and will create additional opportunities for collaboration between students, faculty, and staff.

THE NEW GAME ART & DESIGN MAJOR

Ringling School will debut a new Game Art & Design major in the fall of 2007.

On average, half of Ringling School's Computer Animation graduates have accepted employment in the computer gaming industry. Now, Game Art & Design majors will have the option of targeting their demo reels and portfolios to this $10-billion business.

Students will explore the challenges of creating visual art for gaming audiences and develop a game-based senior thesis as an entry into the world of interactive entertainment.

The Game Art & Design major brings Ringling School's feature film aesthetic to games. You'll begin by studying the basics of game design – meaningful play, player interaction and options for creating and refining game content. You'll go on to study multiple narrative, interactive narrative and character structures in relationship to gaming environments. You'll also understand the influence of games on society and their enormous potential to educate as well as entertain. Above all, Game Art & Design is more than creating entertainment. It's creating an experience.

The following info was taken from the old Ringling 2006 Thread

random facts/info/tips etc.

-The number of freshmen is about 400 with a total of about 1100-1200 students
    -70% of students recieve some form of financial aid
    -Computer animation major is a little more selective then other majors
    -Ringling prepares you for 3d animation by teaching you traditional first
    -MUST make half of your portfolio life drawings, and FINISH them. They frown upon sketches
    -Ringling seems to like figures and self portraits a lot
    -Be careful submitting a portfolio with really light shading.
    -Ringling puts AP credit towards electives.
    -To send in your art work scan it in or take slides. If you make a DVD or CD make it really easy to find the work because the faculty looking at it may become grumpy and not give your work the time it deserves.

The following info was taken from the old Ringling 2005 Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by sula_nebouxi
    Official requirements:
    Ringling requires a portfolio of artwork which ranges from 10 pieces(if you're in high school) and 15 (if you're transferring). In addition 2 pieces from each studio course must be included if you want credit for it. At least half of the artwork must be done from direct observation. Ringling also requires an essay and 2 letters of recommendation. You need to have a high school GPA of at least 2.0, not sure about college GPA if you're transferring, but I'm guessing it's the same. SAT scores are not required, but they may help if they are high. An essay is also required on one of the following subjects:
    1. The creation of art is the result of many influences. Who or what has most influenced your work? In what way?
    2. Discuss your goals as an artist or designer. How will attending Ringling School of Art and Design help you achieve your goals?
    3. Discuss a local, national or international issue that is important to you. How would you address it in a work of art?
    4. Describe an important experience that has shaped you as a person and as an artist.

Unofficial requirements(Or probably what they like to see, in no order)

-Figure studies and still lifes, lots of them. When Ringling means observation from life they mean this. -Don't ignore composition in still lifes, they can turn a dull piece into something really interesting to look at.
    -Be very careful in including 3d work, only include it if your 2d skills are top notch and even then only include a few, and even then still, only include it if it kicks ass.
    -Be diverse. Include a little bit of everything, by which I mean different mediums. Paintings, charcoal, pencil, etc...
    -I've heard from a person who got in that a representative from Ringling said they like to see motion studies, and that you have some understanding of animation or movement (ie walk cycles, the bouncing ball)
    -No storyboards. Stick to observational drawings.
    -Scanning drawings can be a bad thing. Use slide film or a good digital camera in good lighting.
    -It is possible that attending a college prep/precollege program will increase your chances of getting in. The official requirements stated that they like to see that you have taken a bunch of studio art and art history courses prior to going to Ringling.
    -Plan to spend LOTS of time with your drawings, expect to spend at the very least 6hrs on each one. It's grueling but the amount of effort will show in your work.
    -Your current GPA and portfolio are key to getting in. If you have a very high GPA(3.5 and up) you can probably get by with a decent portfolio, if you show potential. But if your GPA is low(between 2.0 and 3.0), your portfolio must be fantastic to offset the GPA. GPA's are important because they show that you are willing to work hard to improve. And also because academics are also important to Ringling.
    -Your essay is also very important. It may tell a bit about you that your drawings cannot. To a lesser extent it also shows that you can put words together to form a sentence . Your essay should have a sense of eagerness to work hard, humility, no arrogance, and don't say something like "If I don't get in that's fine, I can do it on my own". They might think "OK, next!".
    -Ringling wants to see a few things above all else: Potential, drive, creativity, skill, and your personality shine through your portfolio.
    -Not sure if this matters too much but, do your drawings on a nice unwrinkled sheet of paper with no rips or tears or whatnot.
    -Showing contrast in drawings is a must. Have a large range of values in your drawings. It's never good to just have grays in your drawings. Include dark blacks and bright whites.
    -Play to your strengths. If you have weak figure studies, try not to include too many of them. Instead include what you are good at. Just don't neglect the observational art.
    -Show only your best. Including bad or relatively average drawings can hurt your chances. It kinda gives a rushed feeling and they may think you aren't consistent with your work. Even if you have very few pieces, it's better than filling it out with mediocre work.
    -Try not to wait until the last minute to send in the portolio, while they may be lenient on this, it doesn't hurt not to take any chances.
    -Quick gestures may be a good idea to include. Maybe a large sheet full of them.
    -Ringling likes to see creative works alongside the observational stuff. Show them what you are interested in. Remember, this portfolio is supposed to show who you are.
    -Ringling, and most other art schools for that matter, don't want to see comic/manga style work. It's hard to be original with those kinds of styles. They also do not want to see stuff drawn from photos. Usually a trained eye can notice whether or not something has been photographed beforehand.

Random Info: (Also in no order)
    -You should get your response from Ringling between the end of February and mid-March. It seems to depend on how many have applied and when and if you get weeded out(sorry if that sounded harsh).
    -It doesn't really matter if your drawings are done on large paper or small paper. Whatever you're comfortable with.
    -Solid foundation in art goes a long way. Understanding the human body will help tremdously in creating not just realistic works but believable ones.
    -You can call the computer animation department to see if you have been accpeted. Sometimes they can check for you. Or they might give in from all the requests
    -To be eligible for the Presidential scholarship(all expenses paid) you must complete your application and submit your FAFSA by March 1st. It goes to one person from each major and depends on your entrance portfolio. It only goes to the best.
    -Unconfirmed: You can reduce your tuition by working as a Resident Advisor in the dorms. By doing this you do not have to pay for housing. That's $5000 less each year you have to pay.
    -Freshmen are required to have a meal plan, after freshmen year you do not have to have one. This is because Freshmen dorms do not have a kitchen.
    -FEWS is a great extra-curricular activity. Kids get together and just draw live models. Perfect for those who want to improve their skills.
    -There are LOTS of scholarships out there. Pretty much every major corporation has one(it's a nice tax write off) Target, McDonald's, Taco Bell etc...It is possible to pay off a major part of your tuition with just scholarships. Check fastweb.com, lots of scholarships are available for those that just graduated high school and those who are undergraduates in college. Hell...I found a scholarship just for atheists.
    -Word is, the Keating Freshmen dorms are full of fresh out of high school partiers. It will be loud and hard to concentrate on work there. Look into "family housing" or check to see if you can transfer into the Quads or Bayou dorms. Quads are also considered to be the nicest of the dorms so, if you're transferring in as a freshman and you have transfer credits and you are older than a traditional freshman, you have a good chance of getting in there. The Cove is supposedly quiet but it's quite a walk to the main campus.

Hmm...I think that pretty much sums up the last Ringling thread. Just remember to do your best and don't ever give up! Oh, and if you don't get in immediately, don't worry. Get on the waiting list and usually a couple people who got accpeted choose not to attend. It seems the wait list position can be anywhere from 3 to 10. Wow this took quite a while to write...well...anyways good luck...we'll need it.

Ringling Students on Conceptart.org
    Advocate of Fate
    Hett15
    Sula_nebouxi
    EccoXile
    RNS
    Jayneko
    JesterCapp
    Sartell
    Chicken and IceCream
    McLean
    Red_Rook
    Oogiboogi
    Amaranthine
    Ringling 2007 hopefuls
    thesinfulsaint ACCEPTED
    rblitz7 <---me ACCEPTED
    Richter ACCEPTED
    artmessiah ACCEPTED
    StxSwanson ACCEPTED
    Atsurou88 ACCEPTED
    Lahlah ACCEPTED
    Nilaffle ACCEPTED
    Gbertek ACCEPTED
    Tarn
    Odin2014
    Ryn
    Jay006
    Shipsailsouttosea
    Lothelawen

Last edited by rblitz7; April 21st, 2007 at 11:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YAYYY!!!

I think that even though most of us who've been posting here a lot know eachother already, we should start off by introducing ourselves.

I'm thesinfulsaint, Saint for short (or Betsy IRL). I'm a high school senior hoping to get into the Computer Animation Department at Ringling for the fall of 2007. I live in Ohio in the Cleveland area, and I'm a bandrat.

Hooraiiii.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL Saint. Im Richie, a high school senior hoping to attend Ringling Fall 07 for computer animation and uhhh...I play tennis.

I think I may have missed some conceptart.org peeps that go to ringling so just let me know and ill edit it into the first post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone. My Name is Wayne aka Bruce Wayne which is my music production alias. I'm from VA Beach, VA but living in Bradenton, FL at the moment going to Community College. I applied to Ringling's CA depart last year with no luck, so hopefully this year the Gods of good fortune will smile upon me and I'll get accepted. Can't wait to meet all you CA wannabeez in person

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah
    the Gods of good fortune
    Hermes/Mercury

>.> <.<

John, Pensacola, FL

umm, yea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im matt, and I want to attend ranglin as well. Even though im pissing my girlfriend off a considerable amount. Did anyone take their act? jw Rblitz amazing first post haha

New Sketch Pad Coming Soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbertek
    Did anyone take their act? jw
    Yeah, I took the ACT, but I'm taking it again in October. My parents want me to try to get it up one more point so I can get a good amount of scholarship money from this one state school... I'm considering sabatoging it so that I WON'T get the money, and my parents will be more okay with me wanting to go to Ringling.

bwhahahahaha.

...yes... But yay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww look at all the 2007 hopefuls together in the 07 thread!
    anyways, I didnt even take my ACT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, i'm applying for fall '07 also
    I'm hoping to get into illustration, assuming im good enough to get accepted in the first place *crosses fingers*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    saint its buwahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! haha

New Sketch Pad Coming Soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My real name is Emma and I'm a senior Illustration major at Ringling so I probably won't be meeting many of you new applicants in-person. All the same I'll do my best to answer your questions (although I'm probably going to be drawing blanks for the most part on the other majors).

Hopefully I'll remember to keep checking this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool! Thanks oddyti. and welcome Tarn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, my name is Daniel; I'm from Bogota, Colombia and I'm going to apply for CA for fall 2007.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Odin! Ill add you into first post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo... anyone heading up to any national portfolio review days soon? I'm going to one at CCAD the first of October so I can talk to Ringling. It should be sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint
    Soo... anyone heading up to any national portfolio review days soon? I'm going to one at CCAD the first of October so I can talk to Ringling. It should be sweet.
    I might be going to the one in New Orleans, but it isn't until January -_-
    Oh well, more time to practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nah i dont think im gona go to any, ca.org is like a portfolio review everyday anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo... anyone heading up to any national portfolio review days soon?
    nope, none are near my area
    closest is a 3hr drive x.X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am lucky to be close to the school. I might just roll up in there to have them check out my new stuff - just to make sure I'm on the right track with my work. I've been riddiculously paranoid about my stuff after last year, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one at Ringling isn't til the VERY end of January! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has begun

Good to see this Ringling Thread thing is still going lol. Look at the monster we created I'll probably check back every now and then if you guys have any questions. I'm currently a sophomore CA here at Ringling. Good luck everyone!

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rblitz7
    ca.org is like a portfolio review everyday anyway.
    Aww... Well, if it's not too far away, you should still try to get to one. There's a huge difference between getting advice from peers and getting advice from those who are actually semi-responsible for admission.

Quote Originally Posted by richter
    closest is a 3hr drive x.X
    I'm driving 2 to get to mine. xP You might find it worthwhile, if you can get to if. If not..well... Oh well. It's not like it's required to get into Ringling or anything.

And Ringling's isn't until the end of January? That's kinda pointless for us CA wannabes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww... Well, if it's not too far away, you should still try to get to one. There's a huge difference between getting advice from peers and getting advice from those who are actually semi-responsible for admission.
    I actually think theres a staff member from Ringling who posted in the Ringling 2005 thread. lol, good 'ole CA.org!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep. OYCM.

But I don't think he's around anymore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'm Lyndsey, or Ryn (from my middle name, Kathryn). I'm going to be applying for illustration for '07. I currently live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so I get to deal with lots of fun international stuff on top of scary things like making a portfolio.

As far as this ACT/SAT stuff goes, how necessary is it all? The Ringling catalogue says SAT scores aren't required, and they just help to evaluate you. We don't do SATs in Canada, though I have the option to if I need/want to. I'm just wondering how hard they are (especially since I was educated in an environment that doesn't prepare me to take one), or if they really matter all that much.

And Illustation portfolios aren't due until March? Whew! I'm still planning to have mine sent by December, though. Can'r hurt to be a bit early, I suppose. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recognize you from somewhere, Ryn. Maybe it's just from the old forum. O.o I don't really know. Are you on LJ?

Anyway, I don't think it's really all that necessary to take the ACT/SAT. I mean, it probably won't hurt you if you have the chance--I believe it's around $30 (US) to take the test. Really and truly, they're not all that hard. I know that the highest math that's on the ACT is Trig, and it's only, like, 2 triangle questions. Nothing ridiculus like Calculus is on there. The first time I took it in high school, I got a 29 out of 36, which is pretty good, I guess. Most state schools around where I live give out full ride scholarships for scores of 30 and higher.

So yeah. Sorry to babble. In short, those test scores will help you if you have the opportunity, but they won't decide whether you get in or not. As long as you have good grades and good art, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all.

My name is Cory Dornbusch

From Northern Virginia, or Nova as most of us like to call it.

I am in a predicament that I already have an AS in Computer animation from that school that every ones who has a Fine Arts background loves to hate... Fullsail! (If you argue about that, why? To me it’s true and it’s the facts).

But Digress.... I am looking to go into either the good old CA program or the new GD one. Grind off all the bad habits and learn allot of genuine Fine Arts.

Now I have other schools (In no order). Maryland Institute College of Art, Rocky Mountain College of Art & Design, Virginia Commonwealth University, Digipen, and Cogswell Polytechnical College.

I got two days off so Ill get my prelim of my current work, which will be subsequently revamped thru the next two months (With your help I hope) till Portfolio day at MICA in Dec.

Till then, Peace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermont
    Hey all.

My name is Cory Dornbusch

From Northern Virginia, or Nova as most of us like to call it.

I am in a predicament that I already have an AS in Computer animation from that school that every ones who has a Fine Arts background loves to hate... Fullsail! (If you argue about that, why? To me it’s true and it’s the facts).

But Digress.... I am looking to go into either the good old CA program or the new GD one. Grind off all the bad habits and learn allot of genuine Fine Arts.

Now I have other schools (In no order). Maryland Institute College of Art, Rocky Mountain College of Art & Design, Virginia Commonwealth University, Digipen, and Cogswell Polytechnical College.

I got two days off so Ill get my prelim of my current work, which will be subsequently revamped thru the next two months (With your help I hope) till Portfolio day at MICA in Dec.

Till then, Peace!
    Not knocking you for wanting to get into Ringling or any other finearts schools for that matter but since you have an associates why not try to find work and take figure drawing on the side - might save you some money and time. In any event if you decide on Ringling good on ya and hope to see you in the fall of 07

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recognize you from somewhere, Ryn. Maybe it's just from the old forum. O.o I don't really know. Are you on LJ?
    Nope, I don't use LJ. You probably just recognize me from the old Ringling thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dermont-- Wow. Sounds awesome. At least you'll already have some background in modeling and everything. I tried to see if I could just play around with Maya and figure it out once, but yeah... it's definitley WAY more complicated than that. O_o It'll probably be to your advantage to have that associate's degree AND bachelors degree when you finally *do* get to the point where you're job searching--you'll just have that much more experience. Best of luck to you!

Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1