Critique needed?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique needed?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique needed?

so.. I've been working on this for like an hour and a half now (I'm slow, yes) - and it's my first ever attempt at realistic rendering/digital painting... So that's why I want to know your opinion, guys.

Does it look realistic-ish? uhm, I'm happy with the brush stroke, and overall the colors ... but you guys might notice something I don't. So if it looks a bit too sketchy still, go ahead and tell me! ... or anything else you think I should change a bit. I know, it's still an empty face, but I don't want to finish something only to have it full of errors... so i might as well go by fixing them now!

anyway, here it is:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo-ho! It's pretty decent for a first attempt at realistic rendering. The painting is really very undetermined and at early stage at the moment so theres really little to comment. It doesn't look like a realistic man's face, more like a mask. It just doesnt follow the anatomy of a skull. This section is for nearly finished paintings, or ones that have more...features, I don't know. Try posting this at Sketches and works in progress!
    btw this reminded me of agamemmnon's mask

'...men must be free from
    boundaries, patterns and
    consistencies in order to be free
    to think, feel and create in new ways'
    [Sketchbook]

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What's your definition of realistic?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed- there is a large gap between realistic and "realistic-ish". Some people like having realistic features but want a cartoony sort of scene overall- or vise versa- if you could clarify it'd be great!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you want your work to look realistic, then practice by drawing or painting from life. Set up a mirror and do some self-portraits. Then you will have an idea of how to improve on this.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive - Yeah I know I have a looonnng way to go. And it does look like that mask, now that I look at it! Yeah, I was sort of thinking about drawing a mask, because this bit is inspired by a book where a mask plays a bit of the whole picture. But I do see where you're coming from when it looks as if it's too cartoonish to actually be realistic.

Elwell - ... You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure. It always had been along the lines of 'more life related than anime-looking' for me, but if I really think about it, I can't come up with a clear definition.

Justin - I sort of lean towards Cartoon-ish looking... but I really do want to honey my skills when it comes to it being truly realistic. I guess I'm having a harder time because I am not trained whatsoever...and the only thing I have to guide me is my eyes, but the full concept behind the learning is just self-taught...and it's not taking me anywhere x.x

Seedling - Good idea! .. I think I'll try that x.x

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.