Thanks

Threadcrapping in Employment

I thought we were over this behaviour. And in fact, it hasn't gone on for some time. But it sure is now and it really comes across as unprofessional. Not just for the participants, but just plain looks bad for CA as well.

I think this sort of forum behaviour is worth some major warnings or temp bans.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, there is a lot of whinning in the jobs forum and we're trying to get rid of the worst part. However there are some goddawful job posters with crappy scams who get offended when you tell them that paying .50$ for a drawing doesn't make sense.

I don't mind people doing the math and pointing out when an offer doesn't make much sense. I just wish they were more diplomat about it to avoid the escalading of insults.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune

I don't mind people doing the math and pointing out when an offer doesn't make much sense. I just wish they were more diplomat about it to avoid the escalading of insults.
    Fully agreed
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Would this be about the post offering $40 a go for photorealistic illustrations?

Thanks
    There are tons of those, there is one employer who caused plenty of fighting as they used to ask art tests from everyone who applied and now they came back with stupendous rates.

On the other hand, I don't mind the employers who ask artists to name their prices, even if it irritates some artists.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Anyone acting unprofessionally in that key area of the site will be banned. Got it? Artists or employers...

J

Thanks
    There should be stricter guildelines both ways in that section or even a middleman to post into the section.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    ...a middleman to post into the section.
    I think that's a great idea. Someone to help filter the posts would be great. It would definately help to promote a more professional appearance in that section.

Thanks
    I think Jason used to do that once in a while. Not sure what companies think of it, perhaps it would be even easier for them?

Thanks
    Elaborating on it a bit more, the section could be closed to free posting and prospect employers and employees could contact the 'middleman' to either post an offer or get in touch with one of the employers. Of course the 'middleman' would have to be dedicated to check the validity of both instances.
    It would leave a lot more clutterfree, which is probably what Jason wants anyway.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    How about we just stick to the "you get what you pay for" policy.
    You need to keep in mind there are plenty of members who still have a way to go on professional freelance work so this kind of thing can be appetising.

Thanks
    We've seen that fail with the 'threadcrapping' issue, more than once.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Making every job offer a locked thread by default would get rid of this. We would loose the numerous posts of Stourangeau but also the sometime useful feedback on bad employers though.
    Concept Art
    Comic Art
    Illustration
    Artist for hire

Portfolio
    Blog

Repossessed: a Graphic Novel in the making
    REPOSSESSED

Thanks
    That's why the 'middleman' should devote himself to validate the offers. So it should be someone really familiar with the industry workings.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    rentacoder.com has that system worked out pretty well...too bad its meant for programmers not artists.

If people (artists and employers) could just be more professional, it would help a ton with what we have.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    I know CGTalk requires a mod to review all job offer postings before they go live - might be a lot of work to dump on our mods, though.

Alternately, maybe we could establish a low-pay section, and just set monetary guidelines for what goes in there and what goes in the basic forum. That would prevent a lot of the friction as well, in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    maybe we could establish a low-pay section
    though I have rolled my eyes many times at the compensation being offered in some of the paying jobs, I don't think that a low-pay section is going to solve anything. It will just make more clutter and lead to more misplaced threads. Payment also is relative to the amount of work being asked for, so there's going to be grey area. I think the locked thread and middleman ideas may have possibilities though. Perhaps there could be a form that employers would fill in that would outline important details (time-frame, budget, etc.) along with the general info of the job. Organizing it like this might give the threads a more professional appearance and encourage less experienced companies and individuals to have their details a little more clearly stated.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Hey guys ;D

Only an idea what came in mind now , how would it be to have a employment template set up here and the employers have to fill it , it would makes it easier for them and for the artists to see what they want and what they need hmm for example like:
    the adress or contact, the working place, conditions, payment method monthly weekly,none etc.., requirements etc... , expected timeperiod... ?
    i think the employes wouldn´t forget than important things may be it would also be clearer if a job is a fake etc for the artists..
    Last edited by Myako; September 20th, 2006 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks
    I think a form sounds like a great idea. I'd be all for that.

Thanks
    its easy, If you dont like the job or the pay.... IGNORE it. dont post telling a possible employer how shitty his / her offer is. Noone is holding a gun to your head making you take the job....
    Its their offer,if they want to post it, thats fine. You dont like it, dont take it. Period.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolas
    its easy, If you dont like the job or the pay.... IGNORE it. dont post telling a possible employer how shitty his / her offer is. Noone is holding a gun to your head making you take the job....
    Its their offer,if they want to post it, thats fine. You dont like it, dont take it. Period.

Agreed 100%.

Thanks
    nicolas, however it happened recently that an employer revised their rates after someone did the math on their offer.

Another point is, if the threads are locked, the employer SHOULD fill a form, many offers are really unclear and ppl NEED to ask questions.

Sometimes the employer doesn't mention if it's remote or on location and they don't mention if it's a paying job (and it's not a given that jobs posted in the paying section are paying, we move threads around all the time.)

Thanks
    Ahem, http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...23&postcount=2 this is what I mean by people with the intelligence of roadkill
    getting free access to the employment section and projecting a really negative view of the whole community to important companies.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    Ahem, http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...23&postcount=2 this is what I mean by people with the intelligence of roadkill
    getting free access to the employment section and projecting a really negative view of the whole community to important companies.
    I have to agree, that makes us all look bad. Very unprofessional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by black_fish
    Making every job offer a locked thread by default would get rid of this. We would loose the numerous posts of Stourangeau but also the sometime useful feedback on bad employers though.
    I think this is a good idea. And any feedback that was necessary could go in The Lounge, perhaps. Or in the Employment Discussion thread.

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune
    nicolas, however it happened recently that an employer revised their rates after someone did the math on their offer.

Another point is, if the threads are locked, the employer SHOULD fill a form, many offers are really unclear and ppl NEED to ask questions.

Sometimes the employer doesn't mention if it's remote or on location and they don't mention if it's a paying job (and it's not a given that jobs posted in the paying section are paying, we move threads around all the time.)
    There should be no need to lock the threads, as you said, people need to ask questions (i.e. if the employer has been vague about information regarding the job).

It's when people start flaming possible employers that it becomes a problem.

Instead of getting the torches and pitchforks and chasing naive or cheap employers out of town, we should give them maps and directions on how to provide information and competitive pay for the employment they are posting.

There should be enough common sense in all of us here to:
    not get caught in a scam job, keep the nasty comments out of the threads, and help guide the employers.

-R

Thanks
    New trendy activity: Insulting and threatening mods, how can anyone get more stupid than that?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    as of now, the employment section has a no tolerance policy toward idiocy from forum members. If they act unprofessional, simply ban them. I will ban on sight.

cool?

JM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley
    as of now, the employment section has a no tolerance policy toward idiocy from forum members. If they act unprofessional, simply ban them. I will ban on sight.

cool?

JM
    Muchas Gracias

I would just suggest you make the policy on strict professionalism a little bit clearer then it is. Maybe a new sticky?

Thanks
    Seriously, who reads stickies?
    I think the main problem is, the jobs forums is mainly patrolled by mods with limited powers, the admins and supermods don't need art jobs do they?