Art: need help...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: need help...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

need help...

Just first let me say that this is one of my favorite threads, I get really excited and ispired when I see some of the models that are posted. Some great artists.
    here is my problem. I hve abloulutly no idea how to go about modelling ram horns. You know the spirally type? I tried just using a cone and applyin a 3x3x3 lattice to it and twisting and pulling, but it would just toaltally collapse on itself and looked really bad. Ive seen some sweet nurbs ram horns on this board, really smooth and fluid.
    If any of you guys knew of any good tutorials or perhaps would share a bit of your knowledge concerning how to make sweet looking ram horns, it would be much appriciated. (low-poly or high)

also how would one go about uvmapping such a complex shape? I know ther are plenty of tutorials out there to uv map heads and space ships, but nothing as complex as a spiral shaped horn.
    I guess i could use some sort of procedual tex. but i want it to have "rings" going down the horn, like a real ram.
    if any of you pros has any input please help a noob out.
    thanks.:chug:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know that Mirai has range-dependent transformation tools - if you made a torus and then split it, you could grab one end, and start pulling and twisting, and it would automatically pull/twist the rest of it accordingly. A good place to start anyways...I'm not sure if max and maya have tools that do the same, but if they do, i'd definitely recommend them - it's a nice way to get the basic shape you want, and then you can go back and vert-tweak

As far as unwrapping, i would unwrap it as if it was not twisted - that way you get the "underside" and the "outside" in nice straight areas, and then maybe you could vertex bake to make sure you get the lighting about right on those weird shapes?

Then again, i'm not a pro just a noob like yourself...hope this helps anways tho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, at least that's a starting point.
    oh but one thing, Ive heard the term before, but what exactly is vertex baking?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertex Baking.. good tutorial..

Thanks to Bobo_the_Seal

link:

http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts.htm

For Ram Horns.. you can do it a few ways..

You could start out with a cube, then extract one plane.. and move its points.. then etxtract again and again and again... each time moving the vertexs like so..

image:
    need help...

Other way, start with a cyliner, make it have 4-6 sides, make it about the distance you need it to be before coiled.. then.. use the modifier taper.. so its a cone.. or you could just creat a cone.. either way works.. then use the modifier, bend.. bend it to like 300 or so.. then collapse the stack.. then use twist modifier and play around witht he gizmo and degree you want it to turn.. I dunno.. Im sure you can figure out the rest from there..

images

need help...

need help...

need help...

need help...

need help...

hope this helpese.. if you have any other questions feel free to ask..

good luck

peace.

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    with ridegs.

select the ringsneed help...

extrude them

need help...

make all one smoothinggroup

need help...

rendered:

need help...

not sure if that helps.. but Ill try and do a UVMap tut.

peace.

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deth,
    I must say, that is probably the most spot on, thorough, reply I have ever recived on this board since ive been posting here. THANK YOU!!!!!
    if you can describe how to u.v such a complex shape as well as you did these methods for a ram horn, I am so stoked!
    It's 11 at night were i am right now and i have work at eight but im stayin up late to try these methods out!!!
    thanks again, I so owe you.
    :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks man,

sorry I havent gottent o do a UV tut yet.. I have been busy moving, and didnt have enough time.. Ill try and throw one togehter for you tomorow..

but from what Im thinking if you know the basic's of unwrapping.. your best bet would be to select.. one section of the horns.. and just uv map that one peice.. and texture it,, then repeat.. for the additional.. OR.. Uv map the horns as the cone first.. so its easy to UNwrap.. then bend it and twist it..

good luck..

peace.

PS.. if you need help or looking for tutorials, or just wanna check out 3d stuff.. check out CGTalk.com or cgchat.com/forum or polycounts forum: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycoun...assCookie=true

there, id post more, but Im sure you can find em.. but those are some good ones..

peace.

Last edited by Deth Jester; June 7th, 2003 at 04:14 AM.
    -Deth Jester

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, that's what i did. just used texporter to see what goes were, and I mapped it as a cone then collapse all and then bent it all up, but yeah man, I was soo stumped on how to make a ram horn!:crosseyed
    any ways I hope you don't feel like you opend a new can of worms here but when i extruded thos edges to make the ridges it came out all funky, did you simply extrude or did you do some scaling and moving? and if i apply a mesh smooth to those edges the edges of the ridges are all seprate from the actual horn. Im gonna keep messing with it. but I definitly want the ridges look for my horns..
    good luck moving, don't pull a hammy.
    thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    with the knowledge provided here is what Ive done,

need help...

C&C Needed.
    thanx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The skin could use some details. Other than that, looks fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.