Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Rise, ye dead thread!

/casts necro spell to summon the dead

Come forth dead thread, and serve as my lair of evil!

Going to try and at least up date a few times a week. I'm horrible. I killed my own sketchbook and now I have to become a necromancer to revive it. :<

Helmet was done yesterday, camera done today.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Tried doing an environment and it was one hellofa dismal failure, so here's another small still life sketch. O.o

Thanks
    I like the larger sizes for your still life "sketches" more here than the resized ones on dA. I really wouldn't call these finished studies sketches though, each one reflects a lot of personal time and attention. I love the subtle differences in textures that are reflected in each one. Technically these are all pretty spectacular, if I had to crit anything it would be the perspective on the wine bottle...the bottom of the bottle looks a little bit like it's not quite resting on the table. My favorite part though is the transition between the glass and the foil bottle topper, as an avid vino fan it's something I like about wine bottles.
    Also the label doesn't quite look like it's following the curvature of the bottle. My other favorite part is the texture on the cord that attaches to the camera, it's subtle but makes a big difference in the life of the picture. (Is that the camera you used to take pictures of flowers with in the conservatory?)
    I plan on faving this over at dA, but I thought I would do the crit over here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wisdom_of_trees For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Two more. Last one is a bit sloppy for my tastes but my wrist is killing me right now and I can't really paint anymore without making the pain worse. It's totally uneven on the one side.

wisdom_of_trees
    Everyone keeps saying they look like they aren't resting on the surface, but I don't understand why that is. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. Is it due to the darker shadow directly underneath the object? Because the way I have the light set up there generally is a sharper shadow. And yeah, that's the same camera that I had with me that day.

Thanks
    Still lifes look awesome, lots of strong work in here. Only thing I can crit is the linear perspective on the camera is reversed, easily remedied with edit>transform in photoshop. The jar of fruit has perspective issues with the rings of the top, middle water line, and bottom.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Severin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think with the camera it's the illusion of the fabric running at an angle toward the viewers eye. It almost makes the table that the wine bottle is sitting on titled. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wisdom_of_trees For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Two landscapes I did, the first one is just a sketch that I laid down some basic shading, thinking I was going to do a full color of it. But the technique and colors I was applying was just... ugh, horrible none to say the least so I stopped. I'll be trying to redo it, with different brushes and colors because what I use just won't work for landscape at all. Obviously I need practice when it comes to doing scenery because I fall flat on my face.

Try number 1 and 2 with the epic fail color version.

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook you've got going here.

If I could offer a crit on the environments: A leaning tree that close to a stream would probably have more roots showing, protruding from the face of the bank and descending into the water. Think erosion.

The grays are looking good. I like that last one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to N A Johnson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yikes!

Thank you, Ex Nihilo, for the feedback! I'll keep that in mind when I go back and revisit that image.

Just more sketches I'm afraid. These last two weeks have been very hellish travel wise, so I haven't had much time to really sit down and work on anything digital. However I was able to do some sketching while waiting a lot at the airport. =p

Images 1-3: Airport sketches. I wanted to draw our flight attendant on my flight to Chigaco (I thought she was sooo pretty), but alas, I couldn't quite get her face right. Hard to get facial features of someone moving around so much.

Image 4: Started as a dragon... but morphed into something else... I giant rock eating giant. o.O

Image 5: As we were in the air, the tops of the clouds were making some neat formations and they were giving me ideas for a landscape.

Image 6: Loose idea. Perhaps for a future project. I wanted to finish up the lower demons clinging to her leg, trying to hold her in order to drag her down to hell, but I need to do some separate studies for them first.

Image 7: Lamia (of sorts)

Image 8 & 9: Demon dude. Again, idea for a future project (I also realized that the only time I've drawn male nudes was when I was in my figure drawing class).

Image 10: Sort of an inside joke about a guy I work with. I really have become a bit on the intolerant side when it comes to his habits, which are really gross, especially when it comes to eating. While we were at the airport, we dined at this cafe, he shuffled off to the restroom and when he came back his food was on the table. The look on his face was just... I don't know how to even properly describe this. It was like he never saw food before even though he looks like he's really overweight. At any rate, the expression just burned into my eyes and I couldn't help but think of this big lumbering ogre staring down at this helpless hamburger.

Check one more point on my ticket to hell.

Thanks
    Heya Meli

Nice stuff here! Those digital still life's are killer. Plus I luv the rock monster in the last post and the lady (Medusa?) with the dagger.

So... I guess I'll see ya at the workshop... roomie?

GUILD OF CALAMITOUS INTENT
    - BohemianChaos - | - Jska -
    Check out our sexy sketchbooks!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BohemianChaos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Greetings, Meli, I see you're Seattle-bound in January as well.

Nice work you have here, but there had better be MORE of it.

Looks like you have a really competent grasp of anatomy and form, but I really have to say your best attribute seems to be LINE. Very delicate, very dynamic. You really need to start seriously digging into more finished compositions, something solid and finished ... maybe some more color, but some of your paintings so far seem to have a tendency to 'bowl over' the liveliness and elegance of your line. Have you considered doing some coloring of line art (something like ink and watercolors?)

Also: those lighting studies you did a while back were a really good exercise, I think you should do a bunch more!

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    BludHund
    Dude, I'm sorry for the late reply. I just don't check my sketchbook enough as I don't have a lot of time to my evenings and get swamped with a lot of things both on this site and outside it. D: There's just too many activities and not enough TIME! rawr

So many things you say I totally agree with. Especially when it comes to the paintings. Even though I've been working as long as I have with digital, there still is a quality to it I'm not satisfied with... it just looks too slapped on like a paint by numbers. I've been trying to make the switch from Photoshop (which I think was attributing to that slapped on look because the brush sets I was making / using weren't helping and I was constantly unhappy) to Painter which has a different dynamic all together. Been tough... especially since I still feel VERY weak when it comes to color and lighting. I did get the DVD Practical Light and Color which I need to watch again and again until it's ingrained in my brain.

I've just recently started doing the Daily Sketch Groups to help the learning process and just try new things (and try to utilize the knowledge off the DVD), but like I said, it's a struggle. I never gave it much thought to work on other line art before... I believe we have something like that here right? If so, I might join up for some in the future.

Not sure if I should repost the DSG things here though, might seem redundant. :B Well, I'll post up the stuff I've done so people can go... "EWWW what's this moron thinking!?? She can't paint!" lol

I know each piece has their problems... anatomy, lighting, flatness... most of these are around an hour to almost two hours. That's really no excuse though... especially since I'm already taking that time to produce something in full color. It's just difficult for me to remain focused on every aspect of a piece at once. X( I often get side tracked or loose interest too fast.

Thanks
    The still lifes are really nice! keep up the sketching! I see improvement!

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stalsby For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.