Looking for input on sketches and wip's
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking for input on sketches and wip's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for input on sketches and wip's

Hey folks,

did this sketch today with a space operatic theme, always been a sucker for the good old space operas... Idea is simple, rebels fighting the oh so mean bad guys... This sketch is depicting a last stand where the rebels hope their newly acquired weaponry will do some serious damage... Looking for pointers on composition and whatever you feel like commenting on. Sketch is rough and no "design" is final in all its glorious blurryness. Been ages since I did a personal project like this so I'm more than rusty on the whole concept sci fi thing...

Any help would be great

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KenJ; September 19th, 2006 at 06:33 AM. Reason: added more drawings
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now it looks like the aircraft is shooting the ground tank thing. I'd either move the line of fire or extend it beyond the tank, instead of terminating on top of it.
    The angle of the aircraft seems a bit too steep if there's some structure in front of it (that the people seem to be retreating into). I'd level it out and put it further back, having it shooting into the structure. I think it would make more sense to have it attacking the people in the fortified position, since that would seem a better use for its firepower. If it was further back you could indicate (show the aftermath) that it had swooped in steeply and then came back up, to maximize the ground area (and troops) it could shoot up while making that maneuver. Since it would all be very quick there would still probably be some dirt/people kicked up into the air. If you want to have it about to decimate the guy that seems to be calling the shots you could move him to the rim of the enclosure, to keep him in line with the fire of the aircraft if you even it out, and that would make it a bit more tragic too, ie "aw, that guy was so close to cover but he staid in the line of fire to make sure his troops were safe first".

I like the asymmetrical aircraft design, and the dark forms in the background, seem like behemoth ground vehicles. Pretty intimidating. All that approaching firepire and the guy in the foreground give a nice feeling of "oh god we're doomed"

Trust me
    as long as I donít look
    no one gets hurt.
    as long as I donít care,
    youíll be safe:warm:good to
    handle.
    Really!

My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, those are some great suggestions that I will try to incorporate into the drawing.

As I have the time to work more on it I'll post updates here for more input.

KJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi...I think overall you might want to make the perspective a bit clearer to the audience....You've started to do that but really drive it home by adding more detail in the foreground..
    Keep up the good work
    3B

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helpful people here, thanks a lot Really got my inspiration up and running.

Here's a drawing I started on last year but never finished... I probably never will but it would be fun to hear you guys dissect it so I won't do the same mistakes again. It's clearly inspired by warhammer, so I'm not getting any points for originality I'm thinking one of the problems is that there are too many shiny highlights and not enough contrast...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.