Art: My Blizzard Contest entry
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Blizzard Contest entry

Hi all, Haven't been around for a while, ruptured a disc and was sworn off sitting for a month. I thought I had more time originally, but I noticed on Friday that the Blizz art contest ended tonight, so I banged this out this weekend just in the nick. I would appreciate any crits as I'm sure it needs some, I'm too fried to notice anything at this point. The idea is for a high level shaman to be granted a "Living Totem" talent so that the character gains the totems abilities without upkeep, as well as gets a nifty elemental makeover. The Shaman is invoking the Searing Totem ability. Enjoy!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really glad they extended the deadline, I was seriously bummed last night. But now I need your crits more then ever! I didn't think I'd have any time to edit!! I intend to make the transition from firey arm to regular less abrupt. Let me know if anyone has a suggestion!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I had 2 general crits to make it would be these:

1) Get in there and give him a background. You don't have to go hog wild, but right now, I think the nebulous purple void is hurting this a lot.

2) Accessorize! Short of the patterns on his kilt-a-ma-bob there's not much here screaming shaman, especially not "high level shaman" a la WoW. You don't have to go overboard with the giganto-WoW-shoulders to achieve something interesting here, but I definately think we need something more...maybe some fiery tatoos, various fetishes, bracelts, etc... Use them to play up the living totem aspect by giving his decorations an elemental flare.

I might also suggest wrapping a sheet or blanket around your waist and doing that pose in front of a mirror or something to get a more accurate look at the folds his skirt would be making. The initial read on that section is a little poor and it took me some searchign to actually find the rear foot in there to see what's going on. Might want to consider playing with some more dramatic lighting too, deepening up those shadows and really playing with cast shadows, especially if you stick with a dark-ish background that's suggestive of evening or some other low light environment. It's certainly a solid start, so use the extra time you've got to really give it some spice! (And be sure to post any updates)

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I started in on this again, and I have two stages done, first I touched up the shadows on him a bit, and second I added in some fiery tattoos. Like the shadows better, but I'm torn about the tats. I think I went overboard or rendered them poorly. PLEASE let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.