Romantic Evening

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Romantic Evening

I wanted to do my own concept of a circular, social area. I am currently learning composition and color scheme. Color is what I feel I need help at the most. Also I am getting familiar with rendering in Photoshop. I am rough around the edges. Please submit any crit no matter how honest.
    Thanks
    Romantic Evening

http://www.dawoodmarion.com/

Last edited by Dawood Marion; September 19th, 2006 at 05:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you do a line drawing for this one? There are scale and function problems all over, especially with the bridge and the doors. For the rendering, my first piece of advice is to not use the gradient tool again for at least a year. It ruins your colors and form almost as much as your non-diligence with the structure of your lines. It also makes your painted areas stick out too much.

The composition seems completely unplanned. There's no hierarchy of importance, so my eyes don't move around to explore the piece.

I'd recommend checking out the environment speed painter guys (there's a million of 'em), particularly Craig Mullins, Hipper, and Khang Le. They have structure, they have design, and they have color palettes, all 3 of which are needed here. Good luck!

Last edited by theincredibleandy; September 20th, 2006 at 04:00 AM.
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You asked in your PM about creating a center of interest, so here goes:

First off, for good compositions check out Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. It tells you everything better than I could. Since you'll not find the real book, hopefully you can find a pdf somewhere. Elwell also champions a book called something like How Pictures Work, which probably has similar golden knowledge. That said, here are some basic ways to establish a focal point:

1.) value contrast, i.e., have your focal point pop out with value contrast. Since you wanted the dome on the left to pop out, you made a horrible move by having a bright light in front of it, making it completely blend with the background. I know you're trying to make the scene functional by putting stuff where you figure they would go in real life, but since real life isn't always well designed you can't use that as a crutch. Dean Cornwell said that he held back on his values in order to put his lightest light and darkest dark next to each other, thus establishing a focal point. In fact, so many people do it that it's basically a universal rule.

2.) placement. When you start cropping something, you make it less important in the piece. It's hard to focus on that dome because you can't see the top, bottom, or left edge. An interesting silhouette draws attention, and overlapping it with other stuff makes it harder to focus on. Since the dome can't be focused on for this reason, I kinda notice the doors, but then I'm focusing on details instead of the big picture, and making the big picture digestible is what makes art memorable.

In fact, I would say that detail is about the least effective way to make something more important in a piece. If your design doesn't read properly in its early stages, don't expect textures or decorations to turn your piece around. That said, it's an impulse that I still have to battle, and when you get so far in a piece only to realize that it was wrong to begin with and you're running out of time, it can seem like the only option left. Thus, the extra detail on that dome is fine, but doesn't solve the problem.

There are plenty of other ways to go about doing compositions, but I hope this is a start for you. Like I said, those artists I mentioned before are quite good, as ar people like J.C. Leyendecker, Dean Cornwell, and most of the old masters. Go to it, and welcome to CA.

Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The idea

This is the idea. I have am having problems understanding how to gage the degree of my ellipses in perspective to the vanishing point. Perspective is easier when I deal with rectangular buildings. I think this is throwing me off the most composition wise.

I want the focal pont to be the circular area (bottom right) where the people are sitting. This is the featured element. In the previous image I chose the dome as the focal point because I the social circle was not coming out right and I went in a different direction.
    This is another look at it:
    http://www.dawoodmarion.com/elevator.html

Now I am ready to problem solve and make this image work.
    Romantic Evening

Last edited by Dawood Marion; September 18th, 2006 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawood Marion
    This is the idea. I have am having problems understanding how to gage the degree of my ellipses in perspective to the vanishing point. Perspective is easier when I deal with rectangular buildings.
    Amen to that! Ellipses are hard. It won't matter how well you can use color or photoshop tricks if you are still struggling with ellipses. The solution is to keep drawing cylindrical things. Draw from life, draw from your head, and just keep at it until you get a better feel for them.

Ellipses are something I've been working on in my own sketchbook. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went back and replanned the image. In the second image I am setting the mood. Yesterday there was a cool sunset on Sunset blvd (Hollywood). I snapped it and incorporated it into the sky. The third image (thumb) is the actual snapshot.
    Let me know what I could do better.
    Thanks
    Romantic Evening

Romantic Evening

Romantic Evening

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This design works much better than the first one. Rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipnastywebby View Post
    somebody once told me, only draw anime if you can cure cancer with it.....
    This is not the Hokey Pokey, so put that right elbow somewhere else!
    Sketchbook, Staging Area, Assorted Crap
    hendrick.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendric VII
    This design works much better than the first one. Rock on!
    Yeah, I think so too. I need to figure out how to add vehicles, foliage and solidify a palette. I also think some rectangular or cylindrical shape would help contrast the domes - what do you think? How to communicate with color is one of my weakest links. I am figuring out how and where to put stains on the surfaces. I also plan to experiment with textures toward the end to give it an aged appeal, as if this place has been there for generations.
    I am still having a hard time understanding center of interest. Where do you think it should be? I need to come up with a theme - at this point I just had a vision I wanted to express but no back story to back it up.

Last edited by Dawood Marion; September 19th, 2006 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Amen to that! Ellipses are hard. It won't matter how well you can use color or photoshop tricks if you are still struggling with ellipses. The solution is to keep drawing cylindrical things. Draw from life, draw from your head, and just keep at it until you get a better feel for them.

Ellipses are something I've been working on in my own sketchbook. :-)
    Any comments on the ellipse set up? I created a grid (the red lines in the second line drawing) and use perspective lines to try and get them right this go around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, the first one had the couple as a potential center of interest. Are you wanting to add them back in or keep the structures as the focus? You could add them in at the bottom right to give some close points of intrests. The buildings are mostly middle ground focus. I wouldn't put vehicles in the near ground, that would make it look like a car commercial, but putting them behind the fountain would create some scale issues because it is a pretty big fountain when you look at the size of the figures you have now.
    Texture would be tough at the distance that you have them. Because of the way that you have the light hitting them, a smooth texture would read as sharper highlights and shadows and a rougher texture, like stucco would be softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipnastywebby View Post
    somebody once told me, only draw anime if you can cure cancer with it.....
    This is not the Hokey Pokey, so put that right elbow somewhere else!
    Sketchbook, Staging Area, Assorted Crap
    hendrick.deviantart.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.