Thanks

need some advice about money and work

ok so i need your help about answering some questions i'm asking myself. Introduction --ΦΦ> i'm working for now 35 night painting a wall and and the price which has already been set from the start is now making 4$/the hour ... <--( that's not much and now that's the problm ) but I know me and my co-worker are but I don't know if I should do the :``Hey man we're still paid 4$/h so can u up our pay ?`` or just take it has experience since the guy who is hiring me has also tell me he could bring me some job.

Sorry for my english I know it's a mess

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    t('_'t)

That's what I would do, in your case.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    `yeah really funny but in this case i won't get any other jobs ... can any of you give something more ``concrete``

Thanks
    No it wasn't meant to be funny, I would categorically refuse to work for 4 dollars the hour, it's even less than the minimum wage. Your boss is a slavedriver. Now if you love to be paid slightly more than sweatshop workers be my guest.

Hell even burger flippers make more money than you do.
    Last edited by skullsquid; September 16th, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    is 4$ minimum wage from where you live cause if it is not...this man should at least be paying you that.... At least.... and you say you don't want to say anything cause he promises other work... Well You shouldn't be taking work from someone like this in the first place... cause they obviously want as much labor as they can get out of you with as little or no money as they can give.... So any jobs you get from this person in the future is going to have the same $ signs attached to it.

You need to think how many hours did you work in a day? Times those hours by at least $10 an hour (this depends on where you live/ even at that ....10$ is low) an then times how many hours in a day by 35... and tell him his wall isn't going to be finished until he has paid you what you are worth... and if he does not at least pay you minimum wage you can take it to your cities courts.

I know this because before I ever got into freelancing my home based business was chalk board menus and murals for businesses and restaurants in BC.

Take my advice and just promote yourself better instead of taking any more jobs from this guy... you would be surprised the market for murals and chalk board art.

Also I wish you could give us some samples of your work and specify where it is you come from... Because I know some people in some need of some good chalk board art and mural paintings. Since I am not in the business anymore.

Depending upon if you are any good I can talk to some people for you.

You can private message me if you want.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    I second that. If he's going to pay that little for all the other work he "promises" just say goodbye. By working for him you support exploitation.

If you agreed on a price before you started (say "the whole mural for 120$ or 240$ if both you and your co-worker now get 4$/hour) then I don't know what you should do. If it's a good person I'd ask for a little more money. Say you're a beginner and didn't know exactly how much time you would need. If you get the feeling that he's not a good person try what rorke said.
    If you're almost done and don't really bother: Just finish this one and take it as an experience and calculate more carefully next time.
    It's up to you

Oh and yes, please post some work or even a photograph of the mural!

Thanks
    I would bring it to hi attention that the parameters of the original price have been exceeded and you require all additional work to recieve extra payment.

You shot yourself in the foot, basically. You agreed on a final price before factoring in the complexity and time needed to finish the job. Sure he will hire you again, you work for peanuts, and he knows this. Next time properly plan the project and give him an estimated package price once you have figured out how much it will all come to based upon your hourly charge.

Like i said, you shot yourself in the foot. Its not his fault you told him it would be so cheap and now can't do it fast enough to have the price reflect proper hourly wage. Talk to him, and see if you can get an additional amount added to the price.

Should you swallow your pride in this scenario? Sadly, i would say yes. Remember, this is the price you agreed on and signed the contract for (you should have better estimated your pace and should have reflected that in the price). What you can do, however, is finish the job asap and forget details and all the bells and whistles.

This is the main reason why flat rating yourself sucks. You can rarely come out on top.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    As for the job you're working right now, I personally feel there's nothing you can do. You can't go changing the agreement mid-project because it's more work than you anticipated anymore than he can turn to you at the end and say "hey, turns out our budget only covers half your pay, sorry."

For future work, you just have to decide if it's worth your time. Sounds to me like you feel it's not worth your time, and this is perfectly acceptable to tell your employer. You always have total and complete power to say "no, that pay is too low to justfy my effort." There is a chance that upon saying this, he will be willing to give you more money and find a suitable agreement (especially if he's happy with the work you've already done), but don't count on that. If you decide "no", make sure you mean it.

edit:

This is the main reason why flat rating yourself sucks. You can rarely come out on top.
    I actually disagree here. You just need to fully know your speed/quality ratio.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Wow, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. My gut tells me that you should call this a learning experience. You agreed to the price, so it is not the employers fault for paying slave labor pay. It's your fault. I am not sure if you signed a contract, but if you did, well, my friend, you are S.O.L (shit outof luck). The financial burden on you could be much worse if you violate this contract.

As i said, you agreed to it, you have to deal with it.

Thanks
    yeah yeah thanks everyone for the answers therefore i'm gonna call it experience and hope won't get hit by the same trap again ... the way it start was than it was mostly like a concour and i will toward everyone in arts at the college so i felt like the big winner ... should have look toward haha but that's my mistake so i'll take it on my own and tell the guy than i'm ready for more work but under other conditions (mine). so thanks everyone once again and hope it's gonna make me a better artist and i'm gonna finish the murale because there is only some details left and i promise to show u the result on this thread or on a finally finished thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    hope it's gonna make me a better artist
    every painting does, man. Even the ones you wanna burn to a pile of ashes
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Exactly. The only way you could ask for more money is if the employer modified or expended the project once it was started. If you had finished the project early and gotten 30$ an hour out of it, would you have offered the employer to take less money?