Pay...

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Pay...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pay...

Hi, first let me start off by introducing myself. I'm a british media student about to set out on a relitively large scale project split up into a variety of smaller projects. I decided I'd start small and embark on 2 of the 'smaller projects' and to do so, I'm going to require a concept artist (the two smaller projects are very closely related so one set of concept art will cover both).

Anywho the point of this post, is one of pay. I cannot, and would not expect an artist to work for free, but as stated, im a student and as such I'm not exactly rolling around in cash .

I worked out that what is needed are 13 character designs, 5 vehicle designs and some basic location designs. This is a lot of work, and I'm sure would take up a valuble chunk of an artists time. So I guess what I'm asking is, what sort of fee should I expect to pay.

I've read other posts and sites and people talk of paying $100 an hour, and whilst a proper company could afford to pay this, I couldn't (not unless the artist had a 0% interest for the first 4millenia payment plan anyway ).

I realise I haven't said much about the project, thats only because this post is probably quite long as it is, and if I started ranting on about my project it would be a lot longer, I am of course more than willing to answer any questions anyone has.

Thank you to anyone has taken the time to read this and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Last edited by Logan; June 5th, 2003 at 04:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be happy to help you out. b&w character concepts would run about $50 each and finished full color would be more like $100-150. I have samples up at my site if you'd like to see what I can do.

-John

http://www.pensnpixels.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In a way, it really depends on the artist. If you try and get someone who is well known in the industry you can expect to pay $100 per drawing or more. However, there are many aspiring artists with just as much skill as the big names who can and will do it for considerably less for 2 reasons: experience and portfolio. These fresh young faces need reputable references to put on their resumes and polished images to put in their galleries.

I know all of this because i happen to BE one of those budding talents who will do quality work for an extremely reasonable price.

If you'd like to see what i have to offer, feel free to check out my porfolio. If you like what you see and wish to discuss prices and such, just drop me an e-mail via the contact button.

"minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"
    Please visit my Epilogue Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I think you as a student should either A: Take some Business classes, or find someone who has and start a proper one so you can pay proper rates, or B: work out some kind of deal with artists where you do something for them, then they do something for you. Work out some kind of barter.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, for not replying sooner, i've been so swamped with work recently. What you all seem to be saying (and please correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick) is that there is no real pricing structure as such, its all dependent on the person and the workload. Which is fair enough.

As for taking business classes ^_^ , id love to, but I think taking Media Studies and Japanese, is enough of a workload ...

Speaking of the workload though (having just re-read my initial post -_-). Things are different now, as there are no only 4 perhaps 5 character designs to do and thats it .

Thanks ^_^

P.S. Please continue to comment, and those that have left portfolio addresses, I will get back to you. I'm just trying to do a million things at once (well maybe not a million, but you get the idea). Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.