CHOW#40 - VOTING - The Dreamcatcher

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Does the Dreamcatcher dream? Choose your CHOWracter.

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moai

0 0%
  • ScaryPotato

1 1.02%
  • robinchyo

3 3.06%
  • Surfacemonkey

3 3.06%
  • supervlieg

3 3.06%
  • xgabo

1 1.02%
  • prophet

0 0%
  • Cloister

21 21.43%
  • chuckmate

1 1.02%
  • J_ABSINTHE

4 4.08%
  • flameraven

0 0%
  • blackadam

0 0%
  • senira

0 0%
  • lodin

24 24.49%
  • aspenboy

2 2.04%
  • orifice

8 8.16%
  • mclean

12 12.24%
  • Carnifex

0 0%
  • meme

17 17.35%
  • jdillon

36 36.73%
  • stephan_R

25 25.51%
  • lukavi

23 23.47%
  • MrJoe

1 1.02%
  • bluefooted

14 14.29%
  • jska

0 0%
  • maxetormer

3 3.06%
  • wizardofkoz

6 6.12%
  • Hideyoshi

7 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

CHOW#40 - VOTING - The Dreamcatcher

The Dreamcatcher

POLL RULES
    (for the new people)
    NOT ALL ENTRIES ARE TAKEN TO THE POLL.
    (the selection is based on technical quality criteria)
    ENTRIES NOT POLLED WILL RECEIVE C&C
    (i really try to do this every time)
    IT IS A DIFFICULT PROCESS - MISTAKES CAN BE MADE
    I am trying to set this as a professional demand. I act as the client...
    Oblio is always looking for feedback - If Oblio is wrong - tell him so.

sory for the delay.
    i went fast trough selecting the finalists... my apologies if i made huge mistakes.
    I will try to C&C al lthe non polled entries.. in the days to come. Rabbits are... attacking now...

congrats to the winner: Jdillon

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oblio; September 25th, 2006 at 05:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Concept- Mura-Yha
    Behold the Mura-Yha, Caretaker of the Dreamtime and Keeper of Dreams. Eons ago, humanity lived in both worlds, Worldtime and Dreamtime, in equal balance. The Mura-Yha did not exist then, for it was not needed. Then came personal fortune, then selfishness and jealousy, then hate and war. Preoccupied with the material world and its temptations and corruptions, mankind abandoned and forgot the Dreamtime. Cut off from the source of its substance, human wisdom and passion, the Dreamtime began to decay. And so the Powers of the Dreamtime created the Mura-Yha to cultivate the dreaming of dreams among humanity, so that the Dreamtime would not vanish.
    The Mura-Yha is both the Giver and the Taker of Dreams. Its presence in the luminous cloud of a sleeping mind inspires dreams and encourages them to grow rich and vivid. It basks in the light of the swirling imaginings, then when sleep subsides and the human begins to wake, the Mura-Yha takes the very dreams it had fostered and uses them to nourish the fabric of the Dreamtime. This is why we only rarely remember our dreams after we wake-the Mura Yha takes them. One shouldn't be surprised that the Mura-Yha is responsible for the dream-taking of all mankind. The nature of the timeflow in the Dreamtime makes this perfectly plausible.
    The Mura-Yha has seen the Dreamtime through some trying times, and it carries the evidence of its struggle on its very skin. Its once opalescent hide is faded and pockmarked from the corruption of evil thoughts and dreams, its delicate wings punched with holes from thoughts of aggression and hatred. What was once a lithe, proud entity is now lumpy and sad. But still it goes on. The Dreamtime, though it thrived in recent ages of enlightenment and innovation, is fading once again as the world grows dark with fear and hate. There is not enough energy to spare to create another Mura-Yha, or even to heal this one. So, all of you, open your minds and free your imaginations, and above all get plenty of sleep! The fate of the Dreamtime, and the world, depends on it.

Thanks
    I'm trying to reflect the old-fashioned cel-shaded animation frames in this one. It will hopefully evoke a bit of dreamy nostalgia in everyone, which means that this particular type of dreamcatcher has done his job well

Here is my final:

Dreamcatcher Lou

There are many different types of dreams, and there are just as many different types of Dreamcatchers, each who specialize ni catching that one particular type of dream. Lou is the embodiment of happiness, and is the Dreamcatcher for all of your happy sleeps. His sole purpose is to make sure that he catches each and every one of your happy dreams with his magic net, and keep them safe in his trusty purse until the time that you are ready to wake. When he sees you stirring about, Lou releases the dream once again so that when you finally do open your eyes you will be able to remember what made your dream so special.

Thanks
    I think I might try one of these for once.

Edit (Description): A man who trained his skill of telepathy his entire life. After becoming a POW, he was imprisoned and his miraculous gift was taken advantage of by the enemy's army. A large black metallic piece of machinery was surgically attached to his head. The machine enhanced his telepathy and allowed him to search deeper into the subconscious and even the dreams of the living and the dead. At a time where dreams were seen as prophecies, he became an invaluable asset to the world, but for all the wrong reasons. The dreams and thoughts that he is forced to invade are forwarded via telepathy to his captors.

EditEdit (Final Image):

Thanks
    final

Feathers were used to copy what his hair looked like. Yarn was wrapped into a hoop, to imitate what was done with his hands. That strange man, standing in the field at night, telling us our dreams. He returns after every hunting season.

Thanks
    Koh I Noor, Dreamcatcher

Koh I Noor breathes dreams. To survive he must actively hunt for dreaming people and suck up their dreams.

Thanks

dreamcatcher drawing

Here's my final image. Comments welcome.

Here comes that mad lady, pushing his cart full of shiny little pieces of trash. Mumbling to herself, full of nervous ticks. Some people say she came from Haiti with the last load of slaves for the Coffee plantations, and she's very, very old. But others disagree. She is a very young and beautiful woman pushing a cart full of fresh fruits and flowers, or a witch whispering curses and malevolences to the ones crossing her path; or maybe Columbia herself, spreading joy and fortune to all nations. She passes by and talks to you, with a raspy cavernous voice so soft it could carve sea reefs into polished jade: "Spare some dreams?"

For the ones strong or selfish enough to refuse, she politely and warmly thanks, cursing their future generations with a black spit that burns the concrete. For the ones with a good heart or not quick enough to think of an excuse not to spare a share of their dreams, she gives a small piece of paper with the most beautiful Haiku ever written, but that will mean nothing for them. Because the paper is blank. or maybe their minds are.

Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Looking groovy so far everyone. this is where im upto so far,

Thanks
    The Dreamcatcher

"Have you ever had a dream where you fall from a tall building, then when you reach the ground you wake up?"
    The Dreamcatcher catches those who fall and returns them to reality.

Sweet Dreams!

Thanks
    EDIT:

FINAL !!

"A dream come true". We humans always have many dreams. The thing we don't know is that a dream can escape our mind and become reality. We would have been destroyed by our dreams long ago if she wasn't here...

Sindy, 2006 years old, a girl always carrying two white sugar tenons. She uses it to catch every dream that breaks through our mind. When you watch the tenons closely, you can see all kind of dreams in it. Beautiful.

How can such a creature exist? Well, the fact is, very sadly, Sindy is a dream herself. No one knows where she came from. She's the proof of "a never ending dream".

Thanks
    Final:

Samachin was born in Jerusalem 1009 BC under the rule of King David. As an apothecary master he lived a wealthy life and had a wife and two daughters. He also used his renowned skill for mixing sleeping potions - a brew with which he used to drug unsuspecting women, before raping them violently. Such was the taste of Samachin son of Sebotian. Many fell victim to his ceaseless hunger before he was caught at the age of 40. He was instantly convicted (for hideous crimes against the daughters of Israel) and sentenced to death, but managed to escape and headed for Egypt. There the archangel Michael found him, in yet another sordid act, and castrated him swiftly before casting him into the abyss.
    Three thousand years later Samachin has gained in strength and mastered the mysteries of the depths. He travels through spheres unheard of and again he haunts the women of the world. No longer able to take them in the flesh he catches them in the Dream-realm and violates them eagerly, through long nights of dreadful nightmare.

(This is an imagined character, and a fictitious story. No sexual, religious or political statements are intended.)

Thanks
    CHOW#40 - The Dreamcatcher

“The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it. because its only intangible ideas, concepts, beliefs, fantasies that last. stone crumbles. wood rots. people, well, they die. but things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, they can go on and on.”
    (Chuck Palahniuk)

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks

Talking Mine!

CHOW #40, DREAMCATCHER
    When a dream leaves the mind of a sleeping person it gets blown by a soft wind towards the land of reality. There is a field of grass between the two worlds and there waits the dreamcatcher, watching over his dream nets. If a dream were to escape to reality it would be a dangerous creature capable of morphing into many things.

SKETCHBOOK TO CRIT

Thanks
    WIP

Thanks

my dream catcher entry!

Wow I'm surprised I went so kiddie with my illustration, looking at all of these CHOWs! It was the first thing that came into my head though, so I'll stick it out this time.

The concept is everyone has their own dream catcher, we get them as children and slowly out grow them as we become adults. The "dream catcher" manifests as whatever image the person they belong to projects them to be. They act as a filter, or gate-keeper, letting the good dreams pass and fending off the bad. (Sometimes the bad gets through though!)

That's it outta me for now - will try to work more on this today before work

(edit) Sketched in photoshop tonight, tried to come up with some "bad dream" ideas... and messed around with the ideaof the little kid snoozing.

Last edited by Jska; September 15th, 2006 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks
    FINAL

The Dreamcatcher

At Ethridge's Home, a former mental institution turned foster house for wayward and orphaned youth, something watches the children as they sleep. She is the thing of children's bedtime tales; as the urban legend goes describes:

She's been at Ethridge's as long as the kids have been, if not longer. Possibly a product of rape, when the inmates launched a revolt against the staff, violating, mutilating, murdering much of them during their designated bedtime. The scar on her head might suggest that she was experimented upon before the asylum was shut down for good.

When she comes, she has no eyes, just skin that covers the empty eye sockets. She comes from the bowels of Ethridge's House to stalk the upper corridors at night looking for a dream. She envies the children, their ability to dream, because she cannot. They take such visions for granted, so she stalks the halls, collecting their dreams and hording them inside her teddy bear, whose eyes have been stitched shut.

Recently, these nightly visits have become more frequent and are proving fatal. Their lurid, disturb dreams have proven to be quite sensational for The Dreamcatcher, so she's begun to increase the number of children she visits. The kids, they can't handle her in their head for too long, distorting their dreams for her own voyeuristic purposes. But what can you do about it if you're asleep?

Thanks
    Ooh. I've been meaning to try this for awhile now-- kept catching it at the end of the week.

Final pic:

"In the River of Time there stands a single, silent figure. Casting her net among the mists, she fishes out the dreams from the flowing miasma of thoughts and emotions. What she does with these dreams is unclear; some say she culls out the nightmares, setting them aside so they may not taint the river, others say she uses the dreams to fuel strange magicks. The Fisher, for her part, says nothing to explain or justify her actions; she merely casts her net, and fishes."

Comments are much appreciated.

Thanks
    WIP

if i can, before th poll i will finish

Thanks

Unhappy

All right, here is my final:

Description (sorry for mistakes - it's not my first language ):

Advertisement of the London Mirror on Sept.11, 1836:

Does your dreams chase you? Are you a victim of your own nightmares? Do you want to escape from your own fancies?

The answer to your problems has been found. The unique discovery of the IIA (Insomnium Imperium Acor - the Dream Control Acid) makes it possible to control and eliminate your nightmares. Embedded to an interactive high-performance operating device it allows me to employ this acquirement concertedly.
    So call the dreamcatcher!

Professor Dr. Dr. P.T. Mandelson

Thanks
    "A mild summer's eve was a welcome invitation to turn off the A.C., open the windows and let the musty house air filter into the night. But how could she have known what was creeping down the street with its wide, listless eyes searching for just such an opportunity?"

The dreamcatchers are a race that feeds on the peaceful dreams of the kind-hearted. During the summer months, when the weather is pleasant and people are inclined to better temperaments, it steals into houses through open windows and leaps onto the beds of the sleeping. Once there, it spreads sucking tentacles across their head and begins to absorb the energy of their pleasant dreams. This is an uncomfortable process for the sleeping, who are unaware of the physical act taking place, but who will spend the rest of the night suffering the side effects: visions of the Dreamcatcher's world, inadvertently sent to the sleeper as part of the feeding; in our world, they're known as nightmares.

Here's the finished version. It's not as fabulous as I'd imagined it would be, but I've spent the last two days shuffling furniture and moving in, so...my time was limited. I'll definitely keep working on this piece after CHOW, but this is the best I've got for now.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Dr Ernest Simmons called "The DreamCatcher"

Dr Simmons was living in London In middle of 19e century. He was known as a doctor, but he was a great alchemist. His speciality was the dreams. Some has tell, who was at the service for royal familly to remove theirs nightmares.

(Don't hesitate to correct me, I'm French :p)

Supervlieg: Thanks. I search a site where I can put a bigger .hop

Thanks
    FINAL IMAGE:

DESCRIPTION:
    It's a Dreamcatcher who pretends to be a clown - to attract children more easily and finally stole their dreams using his evil & blasphemous dream-o-matic machine. The musical box is a very important part of the dream-o-matic, 'cause it has The Wheel 'O Hypnotization. Dreamcather is using this device (along with the Fancy Balloon of Aquisition) to attract as much children as possible, and to hipnotize them. Then, he uses The Dream Extractor to steal the dreams.

Thanks
    DONE!

Dreamstalker
    "New City" has been abandoned for over 300 years. The city is now almost empty, with the exception of crows and pidgeons. Crow City, as it is now called, havent been visited by humans in centuries except by the Dreamstalkers of cource, which can barely be called human. They can sometimes be found wandering the misty streets. They dislike people and thus have a natural tendency to hate the citys. But from time to time the temptation of all the dreams and memories left behind, like a footprint, by the former inhabitants grow to big. They silently and always alone enter the city. They gather the dreams and memories with machines made out of industrial parts found in old garages and construction sites. In that way they can store large amounts of dreams and bring them out of the city. A long long time ago the Dreamstalkers where human, but as they started to consume dreams and such they grew less human as the time went on. Now they allmost eat nothing at all, except some bird or rabbit from time to time.

Father Christmas will mess you up.
    Deviantart-page
    its my SKETCHBOOK! first page last page

Thanks
    Insomnia has taken hold of the emperor. After weeks of sleep deprivation he converts one third of his military and magical branch into "dream-catchers," to find and collect dream spirits to facilitate his rest. Awimalich is the most ambitious of all the converted soldiers, with a family of 11 children to feed. This ambition leads him to the higher ranks of the dreamcatch faction. As he earns the gratitude of the emperor, something stirs in the outskirts of the land. Nightmare, mother of all dreams, is angry. She will act on behalf of her children as well...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    not that i'm a real match for anybody in here,but hopefully it gets taken to the poll this time.

FINAL:

When dreams die,so does the soul...Once a priest (and molester),then a tortured soul in hell,this nameless entity now wanders the realms of dreams,searching for souls to replace his own which was lost in the eternal fires.If you are chased by unspeakable horrors in your dreams,it is most likely him.Don't let him catch you,or your life is forfeit.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks

The story is simple. This entity is suposed to feed with dreams, it has no eyes, no body. Dominates the person in whoms dream enters and lives his/her life till the morning. it's actually a parasite until a big company finds out about its existence. the rest will be history.

Thanks

Hey guys...this is my WIP good luck to all

here are some details....

This is it! Hope you guys like it

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Meme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    WIP

Thanks

Dreamcatching is a very rare talent among sorcerers, and as such those who manage to do it are very much in demand, especially by the parents of children chronically plagued with nightmares. In the case of this particular Dreamcatcher, a family has hired him to help their daughter sleep peacefully through the night. Dreams are physically intangible, so he must place himself in a mental state between waking and sleep and summon his own dream avatar to get the job done. The dreamcatcher’s avatar dutifully bundles up all the girl’s nightmares into a small compact glowing ball, allowing the good dreams to filter through undisturbed. During the day while the dreamcatcher gets his proper sleep, his partner fashions the glowing nightmare balls into jewelry and accessories that they then sell for a ridiculous price to rich and bored customers. The nightmare balls are very popular, for not only are they very beautiful, they allow their bearer to catch waking glimpses of a child's fertile imagination. Whether this is ethical or not does not concern the dreamcatcher, as he makes a tidy mint off of the things and considers it only fair since he has to spend all night psychically battling away children's fears of spiders and snakes and creepie crawlies, which naturally is quite taxing.

Thanks
    The young children of Mother Tulane's orphanage gossip and whisper at bed time. They look forward to the night that the dreamcatcher pays them a visit. Their home is truly a breeding ground for some of the most wonderful dreams, as these children wish harder for their dreams than other children. When the dreamcatcher arrives he whipsers out to them, and they climb aboard his soft fur. He leaps around their home with his long arms waving and reaching for the dreams that each child requests. When he catches one, he bottles them up and slowly works them down to the ground with the hands on his underbelly.

Dreamcatcher: Hang on kids, HERE....WE...>GOOO!
    Kids: weee..!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2