Caves O Doom - WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Caves O Doom - WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Caves O Doom - WIP

I've never posted a WIP here before so I figured, "hey, why not". I did some commissions last summer and as is customary, some sketches get accepted and some do not - and this was originally one that was not. So I took out the figures and figured I'd keep the background for my own purposes.

So I cleaned it up and started to work it up finally - as for once I have a little bit of free time. What I'll be doing is painting up the background and then sending to a friend to do a character/figure of sorts, and then maybe she'll pass it back for some cleaning or to be tied together - or hell - maybe we'll even pull in a third person or something. It's just for fun after all.

But hey, I'm working slowly enough that I can take critiques on this and actually encorporate them for once . So hey, fire away if you have any suggestions or worries. They're always welcome.

Pre-emptive "what's your light source?!" comments: Do I know what's causing our light source? Nope. I'm leaving that up to my partner when she puts in the figure. I'm mean like that.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cmalidore; September 15th, 2006 at 12:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really into landscapes or backgrounds, haven't really tried yet, but I really like the depth to this. I would only say that it's saturated, and not really focused, I like it tho just as is, I can't see anyone in the cave but it reminds me of a level design for a game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My biggest concern is that the walls of the cave look like skin. The curving lines and wrinkles do not give me the impression of stonework, as rocks are usually seen as very solid, and especially in a cave, rough.

The composition could use some work too. In terms of the page, the top is a bit heavy, making my eye fall downward (especially from those stalactites). Adding some darker foreground elements in the lower right would help balance this out.

That being said, I love the colors you've used. I agree with StriktNyne (who I'm sure is copying strych9ine's name) that it works with the somewhat loose edges.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much both of you. I'll keep a good watch on that skin like texture and see if I can alleviate some of that - as well as the focal issues. I appreciate it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.