Tutorial request

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tutorial request

hi there people. I am new to this. Ive decided to learn how to draw. In the place where I leave you need a certain level of drawing before entering art class and since I can't do it that much I wanted to learn how to make realistic pictures. Ive bought myself a dozen learn how to draw manga, anatomy books but they are useless. So I decided to buy myself a sketchbook, a bunch of magazines and two graphite sets. Can someone please make a realistic drawing giving me a few explanations or place a link where I can learn how to work with graphite?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I was told to think of different pencils as if they were different pieces of chalk or watercolor colors because eventually if that's what you want to do you'll be switching pencils/paints like a football team switches members in different points of time... oh and read different sources on how that way you'll form your own concepts.
    I know my preconceptions about painting were far off then I decided to just draw and that made sense to me.

I have alot on my plate & would love to draw something but cannot right now.

Good luck...

Hollien Studios
    http://www.lawrencehollien.com\
    My Myspace
    http://www.myspace.com/hollienstudios
    I use pencils and oils with brushes. No airbrushes and no photoshoping.®

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first:
    learn to read.

second:
    learn how to search the forums.

third:
    practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's another solution but you will need 1 million dollars to know it.

Leave a briefcase somewhere with the money.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm mumumum, start here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64711

If you think you can just start to realistically render something, uhh uhh - stop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well don't expect to be drawing photorealism within a month or two. It takes a long time of observation, studying and most importantly practicing to start to get a grasp on things. You're right that the manga books are useless. Here's a couple that I'd recommend.

Tutorial requestTutorial requestTutorial request

One of the best things you could do is check out the fine arts & discovery section on this website. Also go to the skechbook section and start up a book. Post everything you draw. By posting your work, people here can see what you need work on most and give you advice on how to get started.

-Loren

edit/ yeah.. just do what idiot apathy said. His advice is alot more credible than mine

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just felt I'd note that there really isn't a "tutorial on how to draw", nor could there be...that's kinda like asking for a tutorial on how to be a surgeon .

Also don't forget to forget everything you "know" so far (especially if you did the manga books).

The books Interceptor listed are good (although I've heard the "Right Side of the Brain" book is kinda a 50/50 shot, you'll either just get 'practice' out of it *which you could do with any regiment of drawing*, or you'll get a lot out of it that would otherwise be difficult for you (depends on your thought process)...the others tend to be more 'generally helpful' imo.)

Other Good Books:
    Any of the "Loomis" books (there's about a half dozen, give or take).
    Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist (Stephen Rogers Peck)
    Vilppu Drawing Manual
    And there's more on the wiki (dunno who made the list, but most of them are good books imo ).

Especially avoid style specific books in general until you're more experienced (such as manga/comics/etc.) - there's a few good ones, yes, but unless you know which ones to get - you'll get bitten in the butt more likely than not.

Also avoid Hogarth until you're more experienced (after a year or two of practice, you may want to pick up some of his books - I think he has good tools, but they'd likely confuse or impose odd style quirks on new artists).

Alzorath's Sketchbook

I support sketchbooks! - Subscribed to, and by:
    White Rose's Sketchbook | Matsign's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Put an ordinary cardboard box on a table
    2. Set up a lamp for dramatic lighting
    3. Sit 4 feet away in a comfortable position
    4. Start moving your hand around the page, hopefully with a drawing implement in it.
    5. Keep moving your hand, evaluating whether each mark on the page is too light or too dark. Adjust marks as necessary.
    6. Repeat steps 4-5 until you have a basic sketch of the box.
    7. Repeat steps 1-6 with different basic objects until you feel comfortable with your drawing implements.
    8. Move on to more complex items to draw

Start on the right foot, draw from life. Once you get that right you can draw anything your mind can dream up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOww I'm speechless...You guys are soooooo helpful.I'm totally new this! I've thinking of opening a new thread but fortunately some already did.I'll start practicing and post my doodles hope you guys will guide me.
    Thanks a LOOOOOOT!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's yet another resource for you guys who are just getting your feet wet with drawing:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332

Merry Christmas and Io Saturnalia!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i do have the million bucks...

i left it in front of the airport...

so whats the trick ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Evil Disco roshambos ultrerax and runs off into the sunset with his cash* While running he yells "PRRRrrrraaaacctttiiiccceee".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 2b BOY View Post
    *Evil Disco roshambos ultrerax and runs off into the sunset with his cash* While running he yells "PRRRrrrraaaacctttiiiccceee".
    That's the best way

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all it takes is practice really. the most obvious of choices for a beginner might be the cube/pyrmid/sphere study. but as you work your way up you'll want to do portraits of some sort. this practis becomes a lesson in understanding tonal values and shape, essencially you'll 'sculpt' the object with light and shadow. beyond that...it becomes your own immagination

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hav been referrin to victor parade and andrew loumis both these books r awesome to learn anatomy but still these books only gives u guidance and the way to approach the subject while drawing i suggest u to take a sketch book and pencil and do as many live sketches as u can do rapid sketches try to complete 1 drawing in 5 mins or somethin initially dont try to put in details juz do the outline try to capture the gesture and 1st concentrate on proportion coz if u dont get proportion u wont b able to draw well.1st do live study and then refer to any book u like it ill really make big diff in span of like 2-3 months.best of luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mee too

hi, i have been drawing for about seven months and all i have learnde is that you have to really love what you are doing and simply do it´.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I thought this was an interesting topic till I checked the dates... Has this turned into some longstanding gag?

At any rate, I'd love to see a tutorial on this site that goes in depth into anatomy with these stages:
    1. show how the body works
    2. explain why
    3. now simplify it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cagadosapo View Post
    hi there people. I am new to this. Ive decided to learn how to draw. In the place where I leave you need a certain level of drawing before entering art class and since I can't do it that much I wanted to learn how to make realistic pictures. Ive bought myself a dozen learn how to draw manga, anatomy books but they are useless. So I decided to buy myself a sketchbook, a bunch of magazines and two graphite sets. Can someone please make a realistic drawing giving me a few explanations or place a link where I can learn how to work with graphite?
    If the how to books you bought were useless, what makes you think a tutorial will be any better? There isn't anything we can tell you that isn't covered in a book somewhere.

My best advice though is don't start with How to Draw Manga books. Most of them aren't well done and are just trying to make a buck off the popularity of manga right now. Many don't even LOOK like manga. Start with real art books, that start with basic shapes and move up to anatomy. Create a sketchbook in the sketchbook forum and hope for some pointers.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.