Thanks

Air-Brush. is it any good for beginners?

Hi I just recently decided to start using color for my drawings. Up untill now I never ever used any colors in my work, everything was done strictly black and white and shades of grey. I could really use some advice from you guys as to what I should start working with. I do not want to paint. My mom is a painter and I do not wish to follow in her footsteps, at least not yet. I thought of using an air brush but I am not sure if that would be good for filling in collors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if there are any good posts closely related to my topic I would be very greatfull if you could post the link for them on this thread. Thanks to everyone in advance.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I guess it depends on the type of look your aiming for. If you plan on keeping things traditional, I say give it a shot and see if you like it. Also, have you considered design markers or gouche? If youre not opposed to working digitally, I would recommend coloring in photoshop or similar application.

Thanks
    well the material for airbrushing is very expensive. and the technique is hard too. it takes some time to put the colours on.( as you need to cover parts with plastic foil you don't want to colour,) this takes away some intuitivity.
    but It's just how you work anyway. I believe airbrushing is slowly dying, and digital media are taking in that territorium. you can work small, what I believe is harder to do with spraypaint/graffiti.
    when starting practice, the first thing you need to learn is keeping the same distance with your hand to the surface, for means in getting equally thick lines and merging colours equally. which is the next think to practice, merging colours. after that, just start simple, get some foil to cover, and learn to highlight. etc. I know my advice is far from complete, but I hope you got anything usefull out of it.

maybe copic markers are a nice medium too?

Thanks
    It's a bad medium if you are a beginner and don't know how to color. Masking, cleaning it, changing colors, all these things take a lot of time, also there's the difficulty of just using the thing: getting an even spray and tone. If you don't want to paint, I'm guessing you mean oils, you could try chalk, conte, or guache.

Thanks
    Stick with what you know, if you've been drawing with graphite up till now, just upgrade to color pencils. Airbrushes are rather difficult and complciated to use. Albiet the end result is amazingly clean and soft, you'll get frustrated long before you reach that end result.

So really, i would pick up colored pencils first. Then maybe work with paints testing the waters with oils, acrylic, watercolors etc. After you feel comfotable with controlling colors in general, then pick up airbrushing, because it's annoying to learn.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    What do you guys think of Prismacolor thick lead pencils. Would they blend well? I want my work to looks smoothe. I know that you can get that effect with paint, but I am not sure if it is possible with colored pencils.

Thanks
    I have to say that the airbrush demo Andrew gave at the Montreal workshop made me reconsider getting rid of my airbrush. The thing is, he doesn't use it for anything figurative (as far as I know.)

It's a pain in the butt to carry around, it takes space, it's expensive and it doesn't lend to quick little studies.

However it CAN dry fast (just stick ecoline inks or createx acrylics in it.)