Thanks

Acrylic Paint Pens... anyone know of them?

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but I've seen other people ask for help finding specific art supplies/media here. Please move it if I'm mistaken...

Okay, my sister does woodcarving with acrylic paint accents/linework (in the Pacific Northwest style, because that's the only carving instruction that's available in this area, but I digress.) She has been looking for a paint pen that will take acrylic paint, or comes pre-loaded with acrylic paint, for fine line work. She has seen pens in art stores that only take oil paint, so she thought they didn't exist... except at a carving class some time ago, someone brought in a set of (what they claimed were) acrylic paint pens, loaded with acrylic paints. She didn't get the name of the supplier or the manufacturer, but she swears these were actual acrylic paint pens, and she saw them work. She's been hunting for them ever since, and recently recruited me to help.

I have searched art supply sites (and Google) with every variation of "acrylic paint pens" I could think of. I've found lots of acrylic paint. I've found lots of pens. But I haven't found any acrylic paint pens. Does anyone know what she's talking about? Does anyone know who makes them, or at least what they're called? Or is my sister mistaken and there really is no such animal after all? (I figured if anyone would know what the heck she was talking about, they'd probably turn up here.)

My apologies if this is a stupid question that wasted your time, and many thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
    -----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Has she tried the oil-based and not liked them? The oil-base markers aren't like oil-paint--they've got oil to keep paint flowing through the nibs. They cover and dry just like acrylic paint.

Thanks
    Mirana - The trouble is that she's using acrylic paint for everything else she does (including the final sealing coat, and didn't want to mix oil and acrylic on the same piece. She also just plain doesn't have the materials to clean up or work with oil, and I don't think she's interested in dealing with them at the moment.
    -----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.

Thanks
    As I said, it's NOT "oil paint" it's oil based ink. There's nothing special needed to clean them up or any worries with sealents/other acrylics. They react as acrylic paint does.

So I guess the answer to my question is...she hasn't tried them?

Thanks
    Mirana - My apologies. She hasn't tried oil-based inks because she's locked in on acrylics. She uses acrylic on the rest of her stuff and doesn't think that an oil-based ink would match the look of the acrylic paint. Would oil-based ink match the solid black of acrylic paint and dry fast on wood without bleeding? I might suggest she try them, but she's convinced that she has seen acrylic paint pens and doesn't seem to want to deal with anything else.
    -----
    - Brightdreamer

Thanks
    She should test them out at a store if she's able. They don't bleed, the consistancy is acrylic, and they come in opaque.