Thanks

Artist in Trouble. (secret agent man) advice?

Hey everyone...... so I have never really had to deal with art agents before... But My family is pretty dead set against them. I personally have not been scouted before. But I got an email today from Uzi Alkobi and I am not quite sure what to write back at this point. Are agents... Good? Bad? Do they just want all your money? Ha ha or can they actually do some good. What would be the best way to get a hold of his references and make sure those references are solid ones? His english isn't that good... but when I googled him he apparently came from Israel so maybe that's why. Or maybe someone on this sight knows of him... or perhaps they just have an agent themselves and can give some advice....

I need some solid advice... not just here say and "I know a friend of a friend of mine that had one" stuff... But real advice from someone that knows.

What should I do... say.... not do... not say. I feel excited...But at the same time I have been seriously burned in the past... Financially

SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE.

the email in question.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Your Art Work
    Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:50:40 -0400

Hi Rork

I'm an art agent from NYC, i'm about to post an add in the forum.
    i liked your style and it's very important for me to know that you can paint and work in a digital format.
    for now you can check out one of my clients web site, his name is Juda Tverski www.judatverski.com
    i can show your art work to an editor in Wizard Magazine, and dynamite Entertainment, etc

Thank you,

Uzi Alkobi

(like I said really bad grammer)

I don't even know how to reply to this.pld:
    Last edited by rorke; September 14th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    These people become the middleman, I personally would be reluctant to go through someone like this. Yes they could potentially spam you around but be wary of how crooked the person can actually turn out to be.
    Trying and getting in touch with his clients and ask third parties, info on the guy.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    agents, if reputable, really can do you alot of good too. Some big clients out there only go through agents to find new tallent. I agree that you need more info
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Well, a good agent is good, and a bad one is bad.
    It's a case by case thing, I think you have to do some research on some other people that agent represents. Alot of people here on the site have agents. Actually, and the workshop there was a whole session about art as a business where DSIllustration and Shawn Barber talked about the difference between working with and without agents. If you want to go through the work of chasing your money down when clients don't immediately pay and looking for your own work then you likely won't require one.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Im so glad people are posting advice... I just emailed the only client link he gave me and am waiting for a reply... I also emailed him... Asking what exactly he was wanting in return...

At least his client has some nice stuff on his webpage
    http://www.judatverski.com/

Im still a little criccked that he couldnt spell my name properly

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    This is what I learned from that DSIllustration and Shawn Barber presentation.

An agent will save you time and the less fun parts of being a freelancer.
    They will contact your clients, make sure you receive your paychecks ( since they too get paid a % of that paycheck, they will make sure you get paid in a resonable time frame).
    Some people use an agent because they are far from being people person. The agent knows how to sell their artist's work so you dont have to.
    They will also do the publicity for you. I m not sure how it works on that part, if the cost of prints, flyers, posters comes out of thier %or if it s from your side...

A good thing would be to seek an agent who represent artists with the same style you have(fantasy, comic, futuristic, etc) and same kind of job offers ( illustrations, book covers, etc) that you are loking for.
    Try to contact his clients to see how they are doing with him.

They already know who to contact since they deal with them for their other artists.

Since I have never dealt with an agent, I am far away from knowing every details about the % they get or how much they will do to you.

It all comes down to how much you are ready to spend to avoid having to deal with all the more business part of being an artist.
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    with school loans still needing to be paid off so not alot ha ha
    Last edited by rorke; September 14th, 2006 at 01:03 AM.

--Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    But still,
    I'd be at least flattered to be noticed by some agent at all. So congrats.

Thanks
    I think we had someone's agent spam here a while back... those guys annoy me- but if it's someone who will show you around- not spam you around, then I can't really say. But when someone has their agent post their work here in the FF, provided with a long artist's statement (that talks about them in the 3rd person) , unless the work is killer I just get out of the thread. I've always had the preconcieved notion that if you need an agent to get work, you should get better so that people notice you on their own (Such as Marko and Marvel). But recently I've learned it's not that easy =P

Thanks
    I get enough work... No big names really for employers...Just your average self proclaimed writter that wants his story told artistically...But I think thats mainly because I myself think I am not good enough to be in a big company... as of yet. I think the only reason that an agent sounds appealing.... is the fact that they can fluff my feathers for me... Cause I am not confident about tooting my own horn when it comes to my work... Not saying that I am not proud of it... But being proud of something and boasting about something are totally 2 different things. (starting to rant)
    Anyways I am still waiting for a reply back from both his client and himself.

And yeah Blacky I was quite flattered when I first read it... But then I felt like... "jeeze how much is this going to cost me and is it worth it" And then suddenly My family got all excited and in a huff... I basically told them and they all basically started getting upset at me... ha ha*sigh* thats why I needed some advice.
    I am really happy that I am getting some good responses. They make me feel more confident about what to do the next time this happens if should it ever happen again.

--Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    But when someone has their agent post their work here in the FF, provided with a long artist's statement (that talks about them in the 3rd person) , unless the work is killer I just get out of the thread. I've always had the preconcieved notion that if you need an agent to get work, you should get better so that people notice you on their own
    never seen that before, but it sounds like an appalingly bad agent if that's their idea of doing their job. From what I hear, most quality agents don't work with an artist who hasn't already been working on his/her own. Getting good representation is not as easy as some may think. As they say, a big part of business is who you know. When you hook up with an agent, you're paying a cut to get linked up to who they know, not to have them randomly flail your portfolio around to whoever is in throwing distance.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)