Thanks

Talking Abstract Artist's Website

Folks,
    Have just launched a new website for an ABSTRACT artist:

http://fippypopulosa.googlepages.com

Would love any feedback on the ART.

Thanks!
    F.
    Last edited by fippypopulosa; September 14th, 2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: (Complaints About Labeling it "Cool")

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What colorful blobs ..Well worth the 200$
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    In Firefox, the layout is completely borked up. It's all centered and won't side scroll to display all the images. You might also want to try making a different header because the one you have is really really distracting and generic.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    "Cool" is a designation for others to make, not oneself.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    The site is all sorts of screwed up in Safari too. Same problems as MeliHitchcock.
    "Is Japan in the future?" Rob ( Co-worker)
    "Wait.. What?" Me
    " They are almost done tommorow and I haven't even started tommorow" Rob
    " They are called timezones Rob.."
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

- SSGXXXVI - The Dirty Thirty Six -
    Unknown Epiphany EKU_11 Jska Frumious_Me

Thanks
    Check out the UseIt.com website, in particular read Jakob Nielsen's Top 10 Web Design Mistakes article to make your website better.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html

The whole thing is difficult to navigate, and difficult to see all at once. Using smaller thumbnails or even breaking the site down into smaller chunks would help a great deal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    I honestly can't tell if the work is good or bad because of the poor photo quality. Some art just doesn't work well on a computer screen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    "Cool" is a designation for others to make, not oneself.
    hahaha, sorry

You could also make it so we can scroll down and up, not sideways...

Isnt this spam tho ?
    My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Abstract Artist's Website

Thanks

What a Delightful Crowd

Folks,
    Well this certainly is an interesting bunch. A few complaints about the layout, a slap for labeling it "cool" and the finger from someone who is apparently illiterate. One person who didn't like that it doesn't work in Firefox. Not one comment on the art. How delightful and amusing. Isn't nice how artists eat their young? Thank you for the comedy.

Regards,
    F.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fippypopulosa
    Folks,
    Well this certainly is an interesting bunch. A few complaints about the layout, a slap for labeling it "cool" and the finger from someone who is apparently illiterate. One person who didn't like that it doesn't work in Firefox. Not one comment on the art. How delightful and amusing. Isn't nice how artists eat their young? Thank you for the comedy.

Regards,
    F.
    We are an interesting bunch. We arent elitist "arteests" we're professional/commercial artists. You want to sell that kind of art to people who don't know squat about art, not people who get paid to do it for a living...Especially when the quality is so mundane. And you DID ask for feedback on the site, which has borked code. So you got it.

Not much ass patting here. Sorry if you expected it. In this community, we don't eat our young, we just eat people who try to use us to get hits on their site and sell us junk. Grow some skin. Create a sketchbook and watch how fast we go from being pricks to being priceless resources.

After all, you did just register to spam us your website link (not adding to our community in any way), what makes you think you deserve anything more then what you recieved?
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Well from what I understood you wanted feedback on the website which you received.
    Now you feel offended because people critizised the layout and navigation of the website and to be honest it does look very amateuristic (not saying I could do any better but then I'm not a webdesigner).
    Some people gave you honest crit in an attempt to help you make it look better and more userfriendly.
    If you can't take any crit then you're defenitely on the wrong forum.

Then you're bothered nobody commented on the art, dude look at the name of this forum: Conceptart.org and browse the finished work sections and sketchbooks etc.
    Most members are serious and passionate proffesional concept artists/illustrators and people who are seriously trying to become pro's.
    I'm pretty sure most members overhere don't give a damn about abstract art.
    It's like posting heavy metal on a jazz forum.
    BTW calling yourself a "cool artist" is not really appreciated overhere but I think you got that by now.

edit: damn beat me to it Blue..sort of.

Thanks
    whose works in oil on canvas span the universe of painting styles from abstraction, abstract realism to realistic abstraction.
    Do you do anything that isn't abstract? An abstraced face is both Abstract realism and realistic abstraction. But they are both abstraction. You realize that there is more to the "universe" than abstraction?

Thanks
    Glad to see you were entertained. I'd call the waaaambulence for you, but it appears that CA lacks one in their icon list.

Firstly, learn to be more clear in what kind of feedback you want. The way you worded your first post, it made it sound like you wanted feedback on the site itself, NOT the content. Second, do you even remotely think anyone can formulate an opinion on your work if they can only view 2.2 images in your gallery? If you plan on showcasing that site, you need to fix the coding, not tell the public to change their internet browsers so they can view it properly. If a website doesn’t work correctly, potential viewers more content to just hit the back button instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Not one comment on the art.
    Count your blessings.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks

Site Has Been Redesigned

Folks,
    Why so much hostility? I have redesigned that site to address the complaints. I am here, being active, okay? My intention was not to spam you. Am I wrong to react negatively to a person whose only response is to give me the finger?

If you are all realism lovers then you can just pass. Why the hostility? If you had gone to the last painting, you would have seen that I have been painting and selling my work since 1983. If you would have used IE, then you would notice that I am displaying five paintings that have sold. Apparently, those collectors were interested enough to spend money.

I am used to people who don't like abstract art. If that is your preference, then have a great life. I prefer abstract art, myself.

The site rendered perfectly in IE, which I know sucks but it is used by 90% of the world. I have redesigned it to make the Firefox and Safari users happy. Persons who use IE can see 17 images. And I have added a note to point out that you can click on any of the 17 images and see a full size version. I agree the thumbnails are sub-optimal but, pardon me, they're thumbnails. You click on thumbnails.

As for the question if I do anything that is not abstract, I point you to "Natasha", image #15, which is obviously in the realist tradition. Pardon me for offending the Firefox users as they made their snap judgements based on 2.5 images. If the layout is not rendering in Firefox then of course you're not getting a representative sample.

I love Firefox too but you have to admit it would have been foolish to optimize the site for Firefox, thereby leaving out the 90% of the world who use IE. If you do not like my work--fine. I have experienced this throughout my career from realist painters.

Obviously, I have stumbled into the "classical" section when I was playing "jazz". So, you all are in the club of realist painters and you're not accepting any new people? If you were a stranger coming here I think you would be rather surprised--as I was--to encounter five people who jumped on you with nothing but hostility. I don't claim to be a web designer. I guess that is the price of admission to this "club". Have a great life and I hope you all are the next Michaelangelos.
    Regards,
    F.

Thanks
    no, you stumbled in the wrong section.....If you want crits for your art, go to the arkwork seccion...otherwise people will do what they are suppose to do here in the lounge when someone shows a web page.....They go to technicalities...such as the ones you heard already.

The finger is because you are spamming, saying that you made a web-page for "an artist" first and then change to the fact that is your own( That made it look spammy).....not good, not polite either....THIS IS NOT A SERVICE, this is a community, introduce yourself, follow the rules, be respectull in adversity or you will be treated like a door to door evangelist.
    Last edited by Shamagim; September 14th, 2006 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks

My Apologies

First of all, the heading for the section says "Anything goes".

Secondly, I have never met "professional artists" whose first reaction to a stranger is to give them the finger. So many of these reactions have acted like they were behaving in a staid, diginfied manner and that I have stepped on their dignity. In fact, I behaved in a dignified manner and many of the reactions were childish. And I think you're nitpicking to complain that I said "an artist" and then clarified it to mean myself. If you want people who will not try to promote themselves then they will be invisible. Have you read, for example, biographies of Leonardo? He was a shameless self promoter. I am just so disappionted in fellow artists who are so hostile to a complete stranger. It just disappoints the hell out of me. I have known so many artists over the years and most have been decent, hardworking people who worked 7 days a week on their art. I am just disappointed to encounter this type of reaction. Does it make you happy to pile on a stranger like this? We're not in competition with each other--we're competing with eternity. I have been painting and writing for twenty-three years now. I am not a kid and I don't expect to be treated so rudely. That's really the point to me--why the rudeness. What is the point? Does that make you happy to be rude to a stranger? You say that I should have a thick skin--well, believe me, I have one. I expect rudeness from people who are not into art. I just am disappointed to get this kind of rudeness from people who have devoted their lives to art. If artists can't be counted on to be decent human beings then what is left in this world. Does it make you happy? Does beating up on me make you smile? I am fine if you don't like my work. There are plenty of people who do. I just did not expect such overt rudeness from this type of crowd.

Thank you,
    F.
    Last edited by fippypopulosa; September 14th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks
    Granted, the finger thing was childish, but more importantly I don't think your doing your work any favors by having poor quality photos of them on the net. They may be beautiful in person but we aren't able to see any of that.

Perhaps a professional photographer and a better web design.

Thanks
    well you have to understand taht theres a difference between good art and bad art. and true it can be in the eye of the beholder. but in this case, all the art is very unpleasing to the eye. nothing flows shapewise, or colorwise. its just a incoherent mixture of blobs that are uninteresting.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks

Poor Quality Photos

We all know that digital photos are what they are. If you click on any of the photos, I have 0.5-1.0 MB photos behind them. Granted it isn't perfect but you can get a general understanding of them. For example, the "Map of the Universe" painting is 4' x 5'. If I took a true likeness of that one--that gave you the ability to see the fine detail--it would be 15MB and people who complain about that. In the case of the "Lucifer" painting, I have two quotes from it--the original is 2'x8'. That one is hanging in the front entryway of a corporation in Nebraska. "Map of the Universe" is hanging in a very rich person's house in San Diego. There is no way I can give you a perfect picture of that. The net is what it is. I have never seen a digital photo that was perfect. If it was, nobody would be able to download it. Have you ever tried to download a 15MB photo? It usually dies midway. These are a comprise. Where are your paintings? Are they 15MB?

Regards,
    F.

Thanks
    Spending a little time just lurking on the site to catch the ebb and flow of the traffic and it's tastes before posting may have been in order. It's not so much that people here dislike Abstract art, it's the presumption that it's acceptable to pimp your wares in an enclosed environment (ConceptArt) that has as it's main focus conceptual design and art in the realist tradition. I bet a slow and considerate introductory process for you and your work would have helped offset the hasty feedback.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    You want us to judge something for which people have been screaming about that there are no rules?
    Well then, all you'll get is.. interesting blobs of paint, or comments about the site. Everything which has rules we can comment upon and give direction. Everything that doesn't follow certain rules we can just if we like it or if we don't.

And as an art crit.. well, the best I can give you is another question.

What diffirs you from all those other abstract artists? I'm not seeing anything new. Nothing which interests me.

Want to know how former abstracts got their respect? They showed a timeline, they showed progress, from realisme, breaking down bits and pieces, putting in their genius bit by bit and ended up with abstract art.
    You seem to start with abstract art with maybe 1, 2 steps before it.

Thanks

Whoa!

Whoa! More hostility? What makes you think that I have not worked my ass off? Are you a mind reader? What makes you think that I don't have volumes of sketch books. Please look at my painting "Natasha" which is fully in the realist tradition. I just don't see anything new in realistic art. That is my perspective. I find it much more challenging to interest the eyes of viewers with abstract art. You don't have the subject matter presented to you on a plate as you do with realism. In abstract art, you create everything. I just don't find it interesting to try to recreate something that mother nature did better. I find my imagination much more involved in an abstract art.

I certainly did land in the wrong place! Pardon me for living. After this dies down, I will find a better place. What has happened to artists? I have always known artists to be gentle folk. What is it here? Everybody is so pissed off. This amazes me. In my life, I have known artists who were calm, accepting people. Has this forum been inundated with anger? I suppose--when one guy has on hand a picture of Bush giving the finger, and he's ready to use it on first blush--that this is an angry forum. No thanks. I must confess that I have presented my stuff in other places and never have I encountered this type of reaction. Amazing. Go ahead and chew each other up with anger. It just does not strike me as "professional".
    Of course, I expect that I will have unleashed a firestorm by poo-pooing realist art. I guess I should expect to be unloaded on from here on out. Hope it makes you happy.
    Regards,
    F.

P.S. Melancholie--I think you should start taking your Lithium again. Your psychosis is showing. I'm very impressed with your ability to describe the entire process of development I have followed. It amuses me that you think you can summarize my entire development. Beauty is in the mind of the beholder and if you don't like my stuff--more power to you. However, I have had many people stop speaking in midsentence, they were so taken. "Lucifer", for example, is tremendously popular. They put it out front in their corporate office. The blue on the left is gorgeous, if I do say so myself. Up near the top on the left are angels that have very fine detail: gold faces and blue and white robes. "Map of the Universe" sold in one month from a Utah gallery. The buyers were in Park City on a skiing trip and that sucker sold.
    So, perhaps I have not impressed this group of realist painters--but I really honestly don't care. The people who bought those paintings loved them enough to part with hard-earned money. Are you a snob who gets to decide what is beautiful? Would you have been happier if I had done a realist painting of a teacup next to an orange? That stuff bores the crap out of me. Watch people browse through a gallery. They spend 5 seconds on a teacup next to an orange--if that. Then, they come to a giant, intricately detailed abstract, full of beautiful, vibrant colors--and they just stop in their tracks. Because you have worked for years to perfect your realist technique--you forget that people don't get pleasure from technique like that. Maybe they did when Carravaggio did the painting--but not now. People want to have their imagination tickled. That is what I do. Go ahead and crap on me all you want. Paint your teacups. Hope it makes you happy.
    Last edited by fippypopulosa; September 14th, 2006 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    Post some of your art here

http://www.artrenewal.org/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahm
    Post some of your art here

http://www.artrenewal.org/
    Heh

And:

Would you have been happier if I had done a realist painting of a teacup next to an orange? That stuff bores the crap out of me. Watch people browse through a gallery. They spend 5 seconds on a teacup next to an orange--if that. Then, they come to a giant, intricately detailed abstract, full of beautiful, vibrant colors--and they just stop in their tracks. Because you have worked for years to perfect your realist technique--you forget that people don't get pleasure from technique like that. Maybe they did when Carravaggio did the painting--but not now. People want to have their imagination tickled. That is what I do.
    Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Its pretty obvious you haven't browsed any part of this site apart from the Lounge to make this single self-marketing site.

I get my imagination tickled each and every day by many of the works in the finished and sketchbook sections thank you very much.

Thanks

You Have A Tongue After All

Blahm,
    So you are literate, after all. I will consider posting at the Art Renewal--if I deem it appropriate. I will not make a mistake like posting here again.
    Thank you kindly for the tip.

Boy, I never expected to get so much shit from a group of artists. You all have amused me quite a lot today and I must thank you for the free entertainment. In the future I would kindly ask that you take out your frustrations on your dealer--not on each other. Listening to this group berate me for deigning to paint in an abstract form has just reconfirmed for me why I abandoned realistic art.
    Don't forget that your job is to please people who view your art. Someone who had not been painting for 25 years might have been damaged by such a reaction. Luckily, that does not describe me.
    Sure, I do not enjoy rudeness or hostility but that does not mean that I'm affected by it. Read some biographies of famous painters and you will see that most had to put up with tons of ridicule.

Salon de Refuse anyone? Stop for a second and consider how your reaction to me resembles the reaction painters such as Monet and Cezanne--not that I consider myself in their league, mind you--experienced. You all have been telling me that "I need to stop being so lazy and get busy with my sketchbook." Excuse me? How arrogant Melancholie was to say--shout--that. Don't you feel a little bit embarrassed by that now? Oh, I guess you must be a fan of Ingres. He spent years on single paintings like "The Valpincon Bather". If that's what you want, go ahead. But for pete's sake, don't look down your nose on painters who choose a different path. Just like the Salon, hmm? Think about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    This is a wind up, right?

Please look at my painting "Natasha" which is fully in the realist tradition.
    If by "realist tradition", you mean tracing a picture of a Page3 bird and painting her an odd shade of red, then yes, it certainly is.

I suspect this is a rather elaborate practical joke, probably one of the regulars is a bit bored.

Thanks

Magnifiscent Art

Blahm,
    I checked out your sketchbook and you are a magnifiscent artist. I was very impressed with your technique and your achievement. I see that you have been studying for a long, long time. I admire your talent and expect that you will have a great career. I might even have considered buying one of them if you had not been such a complete asshole to me. (To speak with candor.)
    I--obviously--am in love with vibrant color and so I don't choose to paint the way you do. Maybe you have other paintings that are full of vibrant color but I have not yet seen them. I believe, according to some of the reactions that I have received, that my primary mistake was not paying my dues here. By that, I mean lurking, becoming one of the crowd, being a joiner. Well, sorry. You're a great artist and I expect every one of the people who slammed me also is a great artist.
    I just don't choose to follow that style, okay?

If the rest of you are invested in slamming me some more, go right ahead. It will be cheap therapy for you. Art Bigots.

Regards,
    F.

Thanks
    fippypopulosa: The problem seems to be that you didn't respect the community. Browsing a bit through this site would have shown you how things work here. And that combined with your attitude did result in a rather hostile greeting.

This is a site based around concept art for the entertainment industry, not fine art. Well, at least that's how it started and where the roots are. So just jumping in with a site that's half broken and some attitude problems results in a reception that is barely above what a spammer would get. Some observation skills would have saved you from this. Don't you look left and right before crossing the street like your parent have taught you? Well here you didn't and some cars hit you. Live with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast