SciFi covers and stuff

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SciFi covers and stuff

SciFi covers and stuff

My own re-imagined of Lilandra and Gladiator from Marvel Comics. Set on the surface of Lilandra's home planet under attack. I didn't paint in who is attacking because I want it to be a surprise. In the Ultimate Universe Lilandra is not a queen but rather the leader of a rebellion against her brother D'Ken not relating to the M'kraan Crystal like in the original Marvel Universe. I wanted to give her some kind of elegant weapon. Only one came to my mind and it is something I stole from Serenity where Morena Baccarin’s character Inara sported a bow. This is just all in my mind but it would be really neat if it ever get published.

SciFi covers and stuff

Promotional artwork for a FanFic audio series over at www.darkerprojects.com

SciFi covers and stuff

Novelization cover for the first episode at www.startrekreborn.net

SciFi covers and stuff

My own FanFic comic I'm working on.

I know, I am a huge Trek nerd.

Last edited by Scorned1; September 12th, 2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Looks like you're working diligently. That's great!

But it's hard to overlook some errors in this body of work.

In the first pic, the people seem to me like they are covered in chalk. What I mean by that is for what looks like a night time or space setting... fireballs in the sky, and tight spandex / leathery clothes and metal armor, there are no real highlights or anything. The colors seem very flat because of these. You'd expect to see some strong contour lighting on the heads or something from the fireballs in the sky.

And for the alien, his arms are two entirely different lengths and he if casting no type of shadow on the ground.

In the second pic, I think you did a nice job of rendering that main girl's hair actually. For some reason she reminds me of Jessica Alba. I think this is the strongest piece of the bunch.

The 3rd pic I have the same lighting issues as the first. Go to google and look at some images of leathers or pandex and see how the light works with it. It seems like incredibly dim lighting.

In the 4th image the composition feels a bit weird. The have 2 characters who look like they are trying to fight, and and one is flying, just observing, while the girl upfront seems to be modeeling for a photoshoot. It just kind of feels as if it's breaking the theme of the pic to not have the whole team on a common goal. That and it looks like to painted every blade of grass individually? That type of patience is great, but it creats a very weird effect. When you stand in a field you don't really notice each blade of grass, you'll see chunks of color and light. So I think just trying to block in colors before going into all this detail may help.

I like the last girl's face. it's very warm and comforting

hope this helps

-Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    You'd expect to see some strong contour lighting on the heads or something from the fireballs in the sky.
    Damn it, I knew I forgot something. I should have put some highlights from the fireballs in the clouds to show that the sky is being lit up.

And for the alien, his arms are two entirely different lengths and he if casting no type of shadow on the ground.
    His left arm is foreshortening shielding his cape behind him and he does indeed casting a shadow it is next to the girl’s left foot as he is airborne next to her.

For some reason she reminds me of Jessica Alba
    It is her, I used a head shot reference of her and aged her a little bit.

The 3rd pic I have the same lighting issues as the first. Go to google and look at some images of leathers or pandex and see how the light works with it. It seems like incredibly dim lighting
    Yeah I know. I did this before the other painting called "Ultimates Cover Volume 2 of issue 1" that I posted last week. I gotta work on what real textures would look like.

Thanks for the observation. Man I suck and I still have alot to learn as a young padawan. One day I will be the most powerful Jedi ever. HAHAHAHAHA

Last edited by Scorned1; September 12th, 2006 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat! The second image is your strongest, IMHO; I always count it as a good sign when I can recognize characters without being outright told who they are. I'd suggest going back over your people, especially in the first and last images; compared to some of your background elements (especially in the other pics), some of them look unfinished. You might double-check your refs for details and overal anatomy, too - a few elements seem slightly skewed, though I couldn't say why or even if I'm seeing it accurately (being an untrained hack myself.) Most notably, in the final image, the face on the guy in the red suit (with the claw arm) looks off, more cartoony in a way than the expressions on his teammates.

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering is very nice, but its getting ahead of your anatomy and composition and lighting.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.