CCAD or Ringling?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face CCAD or Ringling?

I know I just posted a thread about colleges on the east coast and everything, but I've been researching like crazy and I think my decision comes between Ringling or CCAD. (I have family that live around both schools...)

I'm a senior in highschool right now, and after this year I'm thinking about going into my local community college (TCC) and building up my foundation for two years. After that though, I want to switch out into a bigger school.

I guess what I'm wondering, what are the differences in the schools?
    If I wanted to go into (I guess illustration, but really game design/concept design), wich school could help me more?
    Wich is better at helping to get you into the field?
    What are the price ranges for both schools?

There are a lot more questions I could ask, but I'm at school waiting the rest of the day out... I only have 5 bells, but have to come back for my soccer game anyway...xD

Any help you guys/girls give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I did some more research, and I'm still not sure wich school to choose from.
    I read a few reviews over at StudentsReview or something of the sort that were not so great about Ringling, saying things about it being in the 'ghetto', and a teacher was arrested for cocain posession. It's always the unintelligable people who complain though, so I'm not sure how much I should take those into account.
    People were also saying that CCAD wasn't bad, but the teachers were arrogant?

Something else I forgot to ask was about out of state tuitions, I think that they are usually 3 times higher than normal tuition but I didn't see anything on CCAD or RSAD's websites about it.
    Some people were also worried that I would be paying a ton of money to go to school, and only making about 35-50k a year.... what are some of the starting pays for illustration first coming out of college?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Er... most private schools don't have a difference between instate and out-of-state tuition. I know that Ringling doesn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,209 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    whichever one gets you out with the least debt is the one to choose. You will not get a better education at either one...both have decent programs and the occasional star coming out from there.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info guys, I talked to my counselor today and she said that since it was a private school...yeah. She also said that I probably wouldn't have to stay on campus for the first year since they are private.

On another thing, which school is cheaper? I added up what I think I would be paying at CCAD, if I stayed at the dorms... $15,588 for the first year. For some reason that seems lower than I thought, I think I saw someone say something about $20,000? I may be hallucinating..but I used the numbers from the CCAD.edu website. Maybe they don't have all of the fees listed?

I'm also checking out scholarships to help out, seeing as how I will probably get stuff from my Native-American registration, and Eagles Club stuff... and anything else that I can find.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the input on that. Any more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCAD is cheaper than Ringling. Plus we have a strong 'sketch night' group.
    hint hint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCAD has a REALLY strong illustration program, so if that's what you're getting into, definitely consider it.

and like den said, sketch night is awesome-- some of the best guys in the school come to that and you'll learn a ton.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I was reading the CCAD thread. It sounds like you guys are having a ton of fun. I might live in the dorms the first year even if I don't have to. So that I can learn the area, and be a lot more involved with people that are doing what I'm doing.
    Thanks =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Ringling does have a new game art and design major. I think it's aimed more toward the animation aspect of it, though. CCAD is definitley cheaper than Ringling, and it definitley offers more scholarship money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's cool that they are doing that, but I don't want to do that and strictly be stuck in the game industry. My thinking is that if I go for illustration than I'll be able to do more than just one market if I needed/wanted to. Plus the less money is always better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your major doesn't matter-- it's all about your portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by razuel
    CCAD has a REALLY strong illustration program, so if that's what you're getting into, definitely consider it.
    hmmmmmmmm....the program is definitely dwindling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by moopuff
    It's cool that they are doing that, but I don't want to do that and strictly be stuck in the game industry. My thinking is that if I go for illustration than I'll be able to do more than just one market if I needed/wanted to. Plus the less money is always better.
    That's one of the things that turned me off on SVA when I was looking at schools... they narrowed things down to the nth degree. A general illustration program can give you training that will apply in many areas of the field. I say take a look at the schools' portfolios (yes, they should have them) and talk to the staff. Try to get a feel for each program and really think about where you fit into those programs.

I'm a Ringling illustration major, myself. I was also looking closely at Pratt Institute at the time. They were my top two choices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SprayNation
    hmmmmmmmm....the program is definitely dwindling.
    Really? Everyone tells me how strong it is-- and I'm still in foundation studies, but I'm learning a ton.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your major doesn't matter-- it's all about your portfolio.
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying..I would still want to learn a broad spectrum of things though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really? Everyone tells me how strong it is-- and I'm still in foundation studies, but I'm learning a ton.
    I was pretty impressed with a lot of the 2D illustration stuff CCAD had hanging up in the buildings while I was at their pre-college, but maybe that's just because I'm not very experienced with it. Maybe they just have their few high quality works hanging up. I don't know. I have to admit that a lot of their 3D illustration seemed pretty weak (although there was an AMAZING one of this gryphon/dinosaur thing), but I'm guessing that's not really what your focus is anyway.

I *do* know that Ringling's illustration is fantastic, though. And, even if you decided to go to CCAD because it's cheaper, Ringling has something called the "Illustration Academy", which they host during the summer. It's not a degree in illustration, but it could be a great suppliment to an illustration degree somewhere else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That gryphon/dinosaur thing was probably brian's creature-- he's on this forum as Matyas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it would be nice to visit the schools, but I doubt I'll be able to visit both. I think I'm visiting family this year,and they only live a few hours from CCAD. Ringling doesn't sound as realistic to me anyway. I'll try to apply to both, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One bullshit truth about CCAD is that over the years standards and expectations have been lowered. This is because CCAD doesn't want to lose students to poor GPA or low self-esteem. CCAD wants your money, so they're willing to settle for whatever effort you're willing to put forth. It's all based upon the individual what you want to get out of it. There's a handful of good teachers, and there's a grip of alumni faculty, some of which can't teach worth shit (or just don't know anything ). I imagine Ringling's the same way. It doesn't matter what school you go to, you just have to want it...badly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SprayNation
    One bullshit truth about CCAD is that over the years standards and expectations have been lowered. This is because CCAD doesn't want to lose students to poor GPA or low self-esteem. CCAD wants your money, so they're willing to settle for whatever effort you're willing to put forth. It's all based upon the individual what you want to get out of it. There's a handful of good teachers, and there's a grip of alumni faculty, some of which can't teach worth shit (or just don't know anything ). I imagine Ringling's the same way. It doesn't matter what school you go to, you just have to want it...badly.
    Haha, you sort of confused me with that first sentence for a moment. 'A bullshit truth' ? I thought you meant that they had not been lowered, but the rest of the post shows that you think they have..? Well, any school you go to is the same way. I think you can learn as much from the students as you can from the teachers. I know that any school I go to I'm going to have to try my hardest, I'm not going to have a high GPA (I'm re-taking courses to get them replaced so I can get a 2.0, I think it will be a little over a 2.0 though...). I went through some times when I didn't care about school or anything else. It just took me a while to get a goal set for myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I have heard that CCAD is becoming more profit-oriented. A state school (BGSU) told me that they were a for profit school, actually, but CCAD told me otherwise. I believe CCAD, but it's a little unsettling to hear that someone has that opinion of them. In a way, it sort of reminds me of the AI schools (although, it's definitley a notch above that).

On the other hand, I've never really heard a college representative bash Ringling. Usually they say, "Well, it's definitley an excellent school, but if you go there, you are going to be incredibly focused and will have a difficult time changing majors." Which, it sounds like, won't be an issue for you. You seem to pretty much know what you want. As someone mentioned above, you can sometimes learn more from students than you can from the staff. One advantage about Ringling is that they're pretty selective with their students, so you'll be surrounded by a lot more talent than you might be at CCAD. That's not to say there isn't a lot of talent at CCAD--it's just that there's the possibility of a higher concentration of it at Ringling.

Either way, like everyone has said, it just depends on how much you want it. A rep at CCAD told me that one of their recent graduates was already the head of her department at American Greetings. If you're smart and talented, you'll find a decent job no matter where you go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint
    Yes, I have heard that CCAD is becoming more profit-oriented. A state school (BGSU) told me that they were a for profit school, actually, but CCAD told me otherwise. I believe CCAD, but it's a little unsettling to hear that someone has that opinion of them. In a way, it sort of reminds me of the AI schools (although, it's definitley a notch above that).

On the other hand, I've never really heard a college representative bash Ringling. Usually they say, "Well, it's definitley an excellent school, but if you go there, you are going to be incredibly focused and will have a difficult time changing majors." Which, it sounds like, won't be an issue for you. You seem to pretty much know what you want. As someone mentioned above, you can sometimes learn more from students than you can from the staff. One advantage about Ringling is that they're pretty selective with their students, so you'll be surrounded by a lot more talent than you might be at CCAD. That's not to say there isn't a lot of talent at CCAD--it's just that there's the possibility of a higher concentration of it at Ringling.

Either way, like everyone has said, it just depends on how much you want it. A rep at CCAD told me that one of their recent graduates was already the head of her department at American Greetings. If you're smart and talented, you'll find a decent job no matter where you go.

Well, that is interesting to hear... Like I said (I think...) I'll apply to both. If I make it to one, and not the other, I guess that chooses it. If I make it in to both, I'll have to look at both and do some research. If neither? Damn, I guess I'll take those 2 years at my community college and try again later.
    Does anyone have pictures of the surrounding areas or the campus of either school? That would be a great thing to see.
    Thanks for the help guys/girls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCAD Pictures
    I took these at College Preview '06. The ones in the beginning are in the area of and around the Triad building at CCAD. The next set of indoor ones (where people are lying on couches) is in the student center. The rest of the outdoor ones are just basically the Columbus area.

Ringling Pictures
    These are just some pictures Ringling has on their site. I *did* take quite a few pictures of the area when I visited there last spring, but I don't have them loaded onto a photobucket. If you have a Facebook, I can send you the link to the album I have of them on there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    profit-oriented?! oh noes!

Intuition tells me, that based upon the $ 30, 000 price tags, they don't always accept the most talented students.

If you don't get accepted to either, that might actually be a good thing. Sounds strange I know. If you do end up at community college for the next two years, you really have to take your art education into your own hands.

One of the most important things is being able to critique yourself properly. The reason some people advance faster than others is they are able to spot their mistakes, and correct them. You also have to build up a lot of mileage. Seriously dedicate yourself to it.

A good school would have a supportive mentor/teacher, who is passionate about passing on the knowledge.

If you do get accepted to either CCAD or Ringling, then work your ass off and good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im actually learning alot here at CCAD in my first year. and its only been a month. they really stress basic design concepts at first...pretty much hammer and bludgen you with them to be honest...but if youre willing to work your ass off, youll do fine.

-------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Monty, foundation studies is actually the strongest department at the school suprisingly. After freshman year, the spoon-feeding is over. Two most important courses you'll take at CCAD, 2-D and color concept.

Moopuff: haha, what I meant was "One truth about CCAD is that over the years standards and expectations have been lowered".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thesinfulsaint: Thanks a bunch! I hadn't seen those Ringling pictures. The CCAD pictures are great, looks like you guys were having fun. Hehe

Rebelismo: What happens, happens, right? It's all what you put in to it, yes, but there could be something at one school that would turn you off, that at another school wouldn't have happened. I'm sure both have ups and downs. (I know it gets cold as hell in Ohio...bad for my fingers =P)

Skank: Yeah, I figured my first year would be hard...

SprayNation: Hehe...yeah, I thought you meant that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I'm going to visit CCAD Saturday, November 25th. Anything that I should know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Come visit me at the triad! I'll show you around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, sounds like fun Razuel.
    My mom talked to the people, the first year will come to about $28,000. I'm going to need to look into some scholarships and stuff anyway.
    So, for this tour, should I bring my portfolio, or just myself?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.