Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Red face CCAD or Ringling?

I know I just posted a thread about colleges on the east coast and everything, but I've been researching like crazy and I think my decision comes between Ringling or CCAD. (I have family that live around both schools...)

I'm a senior in highschool right now, and after this year I'm thinking about going into my local community college (TCC) and building up my foundation for two years. After that though, I want to switch out into a bigger school.

I guess what I'm wondering, what are the differences in the schools?
    If I wanted to go into (I guess illustration, but really game design/concept design), wich school could help me more?
    Wich is better at helping to get you into the field?
    What are the price ranges for both schools?

There are a lot more questions I could ask, but I'm at school waiting the rest of the day out... I only have 5 bells, but have to come back for my soccer game anyway...xD

Any help you guys/girls give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So I did some more research, and I'm still not sure wich school to choose from.
    I read a few reviews over at StudentsReview or something of the sort that were not so great about Ringling, saying things about it being in the 'ghetto', and a teacher was arrested for cocain posession. It's always the unintelligable people who complain though, so I'm not sure how much I should take those into account.
    People were also saying that CCAD wasn't bad, but the teachers were arrogant?

Something else I forgot to ask was about out of state tuitions, I think that they are usually 3 times higher than normal tuition but I didn't see anything on CCAD or RSAD's websites about it.
    Some people were also worried that I would be paying a ton of money to go to school, and only making about 35-50k a year.... what are some of the starting pays for illustration first coming out of college?

Thanks
    Er... most private schools don't have a difference between instate and out-of-state tuition. I know that Ringling doesn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,343 Times in 2,867 Posts
    whichever one gets you out with the least debt is the one to choose. You will not get a better education at either one...both have decent programs and the occasional star coming out from there.

JM

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys, I talked to my counselor today and she said that since it was a private school...yeah. She also said that I probably wouldn't have to stay on campus for the first year since they are private.

On another thing, which school is cheaper? I added up what I think I would be paying at CCAD, if I stayed at the dorms... $15,588 for the first year. For some reason that seems lower than I thought, I think I saw someone say something about $20,000? I may be hallucinating..but I used the numbers from the CCAD.edu website. Maybe they don't have all of the fees listed?

I'm also checking out scholarships to help out, seeing as how I will probably get stuff from my Native-American registration, and Eagles Club stuff... and anything else that I can find.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the input on that. Any more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    CCAD is cheaper than Ringling. Plus we have a strong 'sketch night' group.
    hint hint

Thanks
    CCAD has a REALLY strong illustration program, so if that's what you're getting into, definitely consider it.

and like den said, sketch night is awesome-- some of the best guys in the school come to that and you'll learn a ton.

Thanks
    Yeah, I was reading the CCAD thread. It sounds like you guys are having a ton of fun. I might live in the dorms the first year even if I don't have to. So that I can learn the area, and be a lot more involved with people that are doing what I'm doing.
    Thanks =D

Thanks
    Well, Ringling does have a new game art and design major. I think it's aimed more toward the animation aspect of it, though. CCAD is definitley cheaper than Ringling, and it definitley offers more scholarship money.

Thanks
    It's cool that they are doing that, but I don't want to do that and strictly be stuck in the game industry. My thinking is that if I go for illustration than I'll be able to do more than just one market if I needed/wanted to. Plus the less money is always better.

Thanks
    Your major doesn't matter-- it's all about your portfolio.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by razuel
    CCAD has a REALLY strong illustration program, so if that's what you're getting into, definitely consider it.
    hmmmmmmmm....the program is definitely dwindling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moopuff
    It's cool that they are doing that, but I don't want to do that and strictly be stuck in the game industry. My thinking is that if I go for illustration than I'll be able to do more than just one market if I needed/wanted to. Plus the less money is always better.
    That's one of the things that turned me off on SVA when I was looking at schools... they narrowed things down to the nth degree. A general illustration program can give you training that will apply in many areas of the field. I say take a look at the schools' portfolios (yes, they should have them) and talk to the staff. Try to get a feel for each program and really think about where you fit into those programs.

I'm a Ringling illustration major, myself. I was also looking closely at Pratt Institute at the time. They were my top two choices.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1