IDW 0015: Personal Security Unit

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

IDW 0015: Personal Security Unit

Topic: Personal Security Unit

Background: Civilisation is starting to crumble. As the world becomes more unstable, corruption, intrigue and backstabbing become common place. The rich and powerful have learnt to be weary of even their closest colleagues. No longer fulling trusting their bodyguards, they look for new solutions to keep them out of harm's way and they're willing to pay a high price for it.

Brief:

1. It must reduce the possibility of successful assassination attempts on the target.

2. It may augment existing systems to achieve this.

3. It should give them as much freedom as possible to go about their business - what's the point of power if you can't use it?

Deadline: Friday 22nd September (2 weeks from when this was first posted)

Last edited by Flip; September 23rd, 2006 at 05:07 AM.
    Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Please post ideas and suggestions for in the TOPIC SUGGESTION thread. What sort of topics do you want? I enjoyed the background that Form introduced into his topics and was going to try to continue with this, but how does everyone else feel?

At the moment I'll try to keep the topics fairly open so it doesn't discourage people from entering who don't want to design a particular thing.

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    hmmm life in IDOW?me thinks u should post a message in the lounge maybe, just to let everyone know theres breath in the ole compeition yet

good work flip, specially on the winners gallery, and great topic

Thanks
    The background is what makes them interesting. It puts a date, context and the kind of ambiance to put on the piece.

Unfortunatly for myself, not being good enough to actualy set a mood, I m still having a hard time posting something that I feel proud enough.

I still have to practice a lot =)

So for now I ll try to put at least very clean hand sketch

( I've also been working on my industrial design portfolio, not the concept art but the real life product design so I wasnt able to participate as much as I would like to )

As for the subject, is it in the line of a mecha unit or way smaller as in bulletproof vest force field ???

My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon.Rain
    As for the subject, is it in the line of a mecha unit or way smaller as in bulletproof vest force field ???
    It's intentionally left open. It doesn't even have to physically protect the person, it could remove the "will to kill" in the people surrounding him.

Last edited by Flip; September 13th, 2006 at 12:32 PM.
    Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    UPDATE 21.09

Here we go:
    I don't know whether people think that maybe it needs some labeling - at the moment I think it would look too busy.

Last edited by D-Holme; September 21st, 2006 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    Come on let's get this moving! Deadline is Tuesday people!
    All you have to design is a mech ... or an armoured vehicle ... or cool body armour.

Final

Concept: Flip Industries, being the communist bastards that they are, have created a PSU to help keep 'their' leaders in good health. Arm attachments give the user some (limited) protection while heightening their senses through drugs provided intravenously. Air born drugs projected from the shoulders are used to dull the strength, dexterity and senses of those around the user. Even against a skilled attacker the PSU provides an unfair advantage. The cruel twist to this product is that in order to keep control over their leaders Flip Industries has made the intravenous concoction highly addictive; withdrawal symptoms generally causing death in the user or leaving them in a 'damaged' state.

Last edited by Flip; September 22nd, 2006 at 07:56 AM.
    Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    I got something Flip. It'll show up tomorrow. I've just been doing a little deadline triage between this and a couple other activities.

Thanks

Fishy

WIP…..

A School of 20 or more bio-mechanical, genetically engineered, flying killer Piranha, they hover over head, flying around the person being guarded, checking for assassins, criminals and booby traps with their advanced sensors. When a 'target' is discovered they attack in a frenzy chewing and biting the target to oblivion, this means very little if any collateral damage. Intimidation is obviously better than confrontation so the 'Piranha's are designed to still look vicious, mean and intimidating as they slowly circle, above the protected. They can follow the owner anywhere and can be ordered to hover else where in polite company, such as under the chair or up in the ceiling.

But lets be honest, its very unlikely to be un-WIP'd anytime soon

Thanks

personal security

my contri:

visit my page:
    www.racedessign.com
    www.racesketch.com

Thanks

Referring now to Figure 1, the Rear View Helmet (1) can be seen which is equipped with booms (2) attached thereto in the parietal region of the lower rim. Convex mirrors (3) are rotatably attached to the booms (2) by means of attachment braces (4). Rotor motors (5) at the junction between the boom (2) and the attachment brace (4) permit the convex mirrors (3) to be turned so they have been oriented toward specific objects. A first chin strap (6) is attached to the lower rim of the Rear View Helmet (1) at a point proximal to the junction of the Rear View Helmet (1) and the boom (2). A second chin strap (7), adapted to attach securely to the first chin strap (6) is attached proximal to the junction between the other boom and the Rear View Helmet. In the preferred embidiment the second chin strap (7) attaches to the first chin strap (6) by means of a buckle (8). A motion detector (9) is attached to the rear portion of the Rear View Helmet (1) and connected by an electric circuit to a control computer (not shown in Figure 1) which in turn orients the rotor motors (5) so that the convex mirrors (3) provide the wearer with a view of any moving object behind the wearer.

Thanks
    Is today the last day to put up an entry?

Thanks
    I'm going to extend the deadline to this Friday (22nd) because of the lack of entries, particularly of the non-WIP variety. Hopefully this will mean more (finished) entries.

arttorney > in that time I'd suggest reworking your piece, you need to put more work into both the design and the final image for me to take it to poll. Looking at your sketchbook I think you're capable of more.

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    That's great. I should have one for this round. I just recently found the IDW.

Thanks

The latest in innovative Personal Security Units brought to you by the Jex Corporation. Total body protection that can withstand bullets and melt the toughest of metals upon impact. No recharging is needed because it comes with solar panels and it feeds off of electrical impulses. The solar panels are made of obsidian to insure maximum sunlight absorption. If no sunlight is available, electrical impulse gatherers are spread over the entire set. These EIGs sync up with the owner's own electrical impulses. The EIGs can detect the muderous intent of man/being/animal for maximum protection. So, no cheap sniper shots to take your life or any stray bullets (or fists!). Male models come with low heels. Available in custom colors and the extra strength "Obsidian Black" Edition for heavy duty protection.

Last edited by purplerose; September 23rd, 2006 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks
    I'm going to enter because seems a bit lonely. And this topic gives me lenty of ideas.

Thanks
    purplerose > Your on the right path, if you finish that I won't have any problem including it. If I can see design work and a reasonable level of finish it'll go to the poll.
    If you want to make your concept stronger (and I don't know if you're already planning this) try to show how it functions. So with yours: What components convert solar rays into energy? Where's the shield generated from? How do they avoid digging a hole towards the centre of the earth? This way we can see how your design works.

CamSyko > Glad to have you. And another Sydneysider!

Oh yeah, I added a WIP image to my post.

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Ok, cool. I think I figured out how I'm gonna represent the solar collectors and the electrical impulses data in the blank panels.

Thanks
    If I fail to update, it means no disrespect to this fine activity. I got client work coming out the wazoo for the remainder of the week, and they have to come before CA. (I'm not saying I won't try.)

Thanks
    Sorry D-Holme, my concept is approaching to yours. I have look this morning and I have not see it

And like that?
    I have try to make a Black background but it look bad. You re right with some entrance of white its betterThanks

Last edited by Lodin; September 19th, 2006 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Looking great Lodin, but you need a background much darker, even black. Right now the top half of the figure is hard to make up (even still if the topic is focused on the personal safety device), it just makes the picture really strange with such strong and colorful lighting on everything else, with no ambient/diffused light from the entirely white background.

Thanks
    hi everybody...this is my first paticipation in a weekly activity ...

the character is surounded by a bunch of floating drones which will expand themselfes to produce a hexagonal force field in a case of acute danger. after the attacker is located the expanded drones align next to each other to provide maximal protection. their field is capable of stopping incoming bullets as well as electrocuting targets which try to engage the charakter in close combat.

Thanks
    Lodin - no worries, it speaks that the idea has something to it.
    The black background is very dominant, I find my eye drawn to this region although it is very empty when you look at it. PSU looks the business though - damn threatening - the look of it would put off some wrong-doers on its own.

Tec - I like the shield drone concept. Style wise the images look nicely technical.

Sogbad - wonderfully original, I love the though of various VIPs followed by shoals of piscine guardians.

WIP updated and some of the spelling mistakes taken out of my blurb.

Thanks
    I have an idea for this... but at this point it's pretty doubtful I'll ge it done on time...

Thanks
    I'll try to post the new topic tonight. I'll leave this open for another 24 hours, if anyone needs more time, let me know and I'll wait for your entry before I close this an post the poll.

Not a bad turn out this round, there's some great entries.

And remember to tell everyone about IDW!

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    I had to do a little something to show my support for the IDW. I hope it becomes a regular event again.

This is the Stepford Corp. Personal Security Unit. Based on technology that had long been used for advanced childrens toys and 'companion' bots, the need for an unflinching bodyguard saw the rise of these Personal Security Bots. Generally created in the form of beautiful women (or men) the security unit follows their ward like a shadow. Always within arms length, watching for threats. Their armament is kept hidden , as an overt show of force or protection is considered in bad taste. The Artificial Intelligence Limitation Treaty of 2075 prevents the security units from carrying ranged weapons; but their dozens of hidden blades and innate speed and agility make them a remarkable deterant to all but the most suicidal assassins.

In addition to basic programming for defense, combat and tactical logic. The Personal Security Units boast a complete poison sniffer suite, able to detect poisons deposited in food or drink, as well as airborn gases. They can also be purchased or upgraded to function as nannys, servants, companions, or even entertainers. Many wealthy and paranoid individuals surround themselves with Personal Security units that function not only as an army of bodyguards but as an entourage of personal assistants.

Thanks
    Thread closed, new topic here.

Come get your fix.

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Members who have read this thread: 1