Art: Human Skull- (maya, 1770 polys)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Human Skull- (maya, 1770 polys)

Building up my demo reel with poly game models.

A movie of the model is at my web site. Crits very welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    You need to check your proportions.. looks like it has chicklets for teeth.. look at some refs.. make sure everything is correct...

If you are going to use this for a reel.. be as accurate as possible.. employers will notice it beeing off..

good luck..

peace

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

4. Looks good, but I would suggest trying to do the same skull in much less polygons, if you want to do realtime game artwork, a 11000 polygon skeleton(extrapolated from the amount of polygons in the skull) isn't gonna be much use unless alone in a barren environment

Employers would be much more impressed with somebody who can model within stricter contraints well, than just model well, which obviously you do. We still need to model characters within 2 to 4 thousand polygons even with todays technology.

Now if this character is just a skull alone, ignore me and move on

pm

Deth Jester- tahnks very much for the advice. My friends said the same thing: what's with its teeth? Heh-chicklets I've done a new pass on the teeth and the skulls proportions. I'll post this soon.

primemover- i understand that a prop wouldn't need this many polys in a game. I know that characters generally can have around 2000. Is there a general rule for props or even vehicles in a game? What would you suggest I try keeping the poly count of this skull to? I really appreciate it!

-Ben

6. I should have added that what you did was good, ie the polygons, for the non-interactive in-game cinematics, any hud representations of the object, or even if that is the entire character. You should just take the next step and show some LODs of it for the other possibilities. Making LOD's from the higher polygon object is alot easier than taking something with lower polygons and upping it.

No general rule really, it all comes down to the type of game you are doing, ie what and how many entities are visible at once, and what the engine can handle at one time to ensure a quality framerate. That last part is mainly for console games where framerate is much more important.

My numbers usually come from the programmers after they figure out budgets and whatnot. Right now main characters are in the 2k to 3k range, lessers are 2kish, this pretty much goes for vehicles too, objects can range from 100 polygons to 2000, depending on the object. Of course we have extremes of every kind, but these are averages.

If you are building a character that is a skeleton, try making the skull under 500 polygons or so, that would be a good show.

pm

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.