Question about Contour drawing

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When contour drawing exactly when are we allowed to look at the paper and lift the pencil from the paper?

Last edited by mdi8092; June 4th, 2003 at 06:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Contour drawing is basically creating form and shape through one, continous line. You draw at the same speed as your eye, and try not to lift the pencil ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is from some art book:

"Often you will find that the contour you are drawing will leave the edge of the figure and turn inside, coming eventually to an apparent end. When this happens, glance down at the paper in order to locate a new starting point. This new starting point should pick up at that point on the edge where the contour turned inward. Thus you will glance down at the paper several times during the course of one study, but do not draw while you are looking at the paper."

OK so when exactly is this book saying to look at the paper. What exactly does it mean for a contour to "turn inward"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not lifting the line is called continuious contour, a contour drawing is just a line drawing that goes in and out the figure, not a sillo, know what i mean?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One way that contour drawing could be applied to life drawing, or any drawing for that matter, to accentuate a curve, or bend in the figure or object.

my 2 cents!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alot of people dislike contour drawings, but they serve a purpose. They teach you to see the subject and not to generalize. when drawing most peopel generalize or make up stuff that they think is there, which is why most peoples drawins from reference dont look like what they were trying to draw. By doign a contour drawing it helps you train your eyes to notice all the lines and curves and small nooks and carannys of the subject, thus making your drawing appear more life-like.

There are continuous contours as said above where yo do not lift the pencil, and there are blind contour drawings where you dont look at the paper at all untill youre finished.

The keys to contour drawing are to go VERY VERY slowly and pay more attention to the subject than your drawing.

Try it. If you do as I said, youll probably be surprised at how well it turns out..

Phait Guest
    I think this would be akin to when I drew a pic of Ashe from The Crow 2 from a reference pic online.

What I did was, (and god I wish I had this piece still, gave it to a friend) - drew the contour of everything on the face and the face itsef - I then did the shading. The end result was something I, an insatiable perfectionist, was reaaaaaaally happy with.

I seem to have forgotten all about this method too

*light bulb*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any drawing method that makes you more aware of the subject, or conversely your translation of that subject on the paper, is good.

Ok I know its moving away from the subject matter...(sorry)

Other ideas for drawing in a different way are, a pencil taped to a 6-12 inch stick, drawing with your other hand and drawing each line against a ruler. Those three methods make you more aware of each mark you make, and how they relate to what you see, rather than what you think you see. I am as guilty as the next person for not paying enough attention to what I am actually looking at and i suprise myself sometimes when i actively force myself to look.

I am trying to force myself to do small studies, concentrate on certain elements, like eyes, as i have a real bad habit of generalising them, ie simple almond shape and not what is really there.

Some other ideas are, drawing white on black or filling your paper with charcoal and drawing with an eraser, these help you concentrate more on light than on line.

Just a few ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to put the pencil in the paper as much as you can, don´t look the drawing at the first sketches, look just to the model, and draw!

Sorry for my poor english

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. 8 year necro-thread. That has to be a record.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.