Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Foul language on CA

No I'm not talking about a little swearing here and there. I swear, but usually not on line. I'm talking about constant swearing, often combined with derogatory meanings. While I don't want to encourage censorship, how about some of you smarten up a little?
    There's kids on here (and yes they may have heard it all before, but they don't need to hear it again) and if you don't care about that how about a lot of potential employers saying hmmm, don't want that guy in my office.
    Thank you, rant over.

eg
    -"retarded cunt" several examples
    -from a sketchbook "I didnt expect my shitty cartoonish/comicbook mixed style to be beat like a mexican prostitute after giving free blowjobs."
    -"fuck you" as a response in disagreements, many times.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I agree. i am finding that people can be mean in their critiques here. they are insulting the artists not the art. Guys, a touch of censorship on your own voice isn't always a bad thing. If you want to critique, critique the persons work, in a constructive manner.

Thanks
    Yeh I agree in some cases. you have to remember there are thousands of different people on these forums, some may be kids or not but theres bound to be one foul mouth around. I cant say its has been that bad, I dont discover vulgar language on this place very often.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Swearing ain't the problem imho. Attitudes are. Been seeing too much of "I don't give a shit, fuck off and deal with it" going around.

Membership here is free, the least one can do in return is be polite and encouraging. Seriously.

- d.

Thanks
    A word like "fuck" and its friends are subject to a context, just like any other word.

BUT saying for example " I don´t think you´ll ever do anything with your life" ; " I feel sorry for you" o; "let me educate you" ; " stop wasting air"; etc , despite of not having any "foul" sense to them, they seem much more offensive.

Now if your asking people to stop being aggresive to each other....then I agree, but then is about context, not specific words that under a standard are considered "foul".

Thanks
    ELDavisimo: Any links to those who you think were being offensive?...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Language or attitude has never bothered me much, except for the your/you're and their/there/they're mistypes. Good God those make me shake my aging fist in the air with such wrath that... well I dunno! But I get all... AYeaargh! I shake my virtual walking stick at you kids! Otakus seeing their favourite animé charater's name mistyped could not get more angry.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Wasn't "fuck" censored?

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Language is an art in and of itself. Words can be manipulated to have meaning beyond their own simple denotation and can be wielded for any purpose. People judge each other on many levels, and in this setting of the forum, our judgments are reduced to seeing each other's language and art, both purely idea based, meaning we can see straight into your mind and the level of your language can plainly demostrate the level of your maturity and thoughts. So, read your statements and think of the possible repercussions of your words.
    Obvious troll is obvious

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I mainly use it for emphasis.

Just recently someone did a fantastic paintover, and I exclaimed "Holy fucking SHIT!" to illustrate my profound appreciation for what the person did.

I haven't seen any of the overly offensive stuff people are referring to.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    Language or attitude has never bothered me much, except for the your/you're and their/there/they're mistypes. Good God those make me shake my aging fist in the air with such wrath that... well I dunno! But I get all... AYeaargh! I shake my virtual walking stick at you kids! Otakus seeing their favourite animé charater's name mistyped could not get more angry.
    You forgot waist/waste. But yea, those arent typoes, thats just NOT KNOW THE WORD. Drives me crazy sometimes.
    My work: [link]

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D
    eg
    -"retarded cunt" several examples
    -from a sketchbook "I didnt expect my shitty cartoonish/comicbook mixed style to be beat like a mexican prostitute after giving free blowjobs."
    -"fuck you" as a response in disagreements, many times....
    Yeah, I've seen those exact posts and I completely cringed. Totally trashy and seriously uncalled for

It's weird for me to say that because I've got a somewhat foul mouth and cussing makes me giggle. But, I have the sense to censor myself online, mostly, so I don't seem like a complete hypocrite.

But, when someone just outright calls someone a "piece of shit, etc.," it's just so classless. Think up something worthwhile before you type it, or else you wind up looking like a bigger asshole than the person you're berating.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    i cant spell, and grammer is hard for me, its summet ive had all my life, and its hardly helped when my statements are punctured every now and again with shortened 'txt' slang and 'msn talk' that ive picked up over the years, and i realise u guys are just having a giggle, but i wanna be an artist and not a scribe, if u can read and understand it i really dont think you should give a fuck.

which brings me nicely onto the foul language issue, bah, there probably is merit in that argument, but then again some of the most fantastic artists on this site have the foulest tounge, seeing as i would pay to see their processes anyway, i'll gladly sit through common everday spill to see it.

and besides some artists use it in the most wonderous and creative ways imaginable, take one of the founding artists of this very site, coro kaufman; sitting through one of his little paragraphs is the hillarious literature equivalent of stroking a cute bunny rabbit with ur ball sack.

its a site that has a massive black cock as its pet

peace

Thanks
    We should start a CA swear jar. Funds go towards future workshops.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    Not to mention its/it's and to/too (that one is nails on the chalkboard).

It is so ubiquitus on the internet, that it has been diluted in its shock value, but is still able to disgust. Unless it is being used by someone I "know", it merely sounds like a lazy way to indicate strong emotion. Multiple exclamation points are in the same vein, but sans the sexual undertones.

Like just about anything, there are people able to use words well, and those who struggle. Foul language can be an ingredient in both groups.

Thanks
    if u can read and understand it i really dont think you should give a fuck.
    It would look better on your resume if you put
    "If you can read and understand it I really don't think you should give a fuck."

EDIT: For some reason my other remark didn't show, I said

"I don't mind swearing used humorously like Coro, but offensively or purely for SHOCK it gets old."
    Last edited by Justin.; September 11th, 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Is it ok to say "Your work fuckin rocks!? lol.

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    It would look better on your resume if you put
    "If you can read and understand it I really don't think you should give a fuck."
    Uh oh, Justin. You forgot the comma!!

"If you can read and understand it, I really don't think you should give a fuck."

There ya go: All better now

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! It's LOSE, not LOOSE! As in, "I'm gonna lose this contest??! OH NOES! I've got loose change to spare, so I'll totally pay a bribe if you'll just let me not be such a LOSER! OMG!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    balls ass shit balls. fuck fuck shit ass dildo vagina tits. balls. doo doo.-c36

Thanks
    Oh Coro! I still love you too.

Thanks
    -c36

Thanks
    oh how I've waited for coro to appear in this thread, dood you are so predictable, tststs.......................................

fuck
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    If someone is overly insulting in a comment and it's blatantly obvious "not a joke" then just click the black and white triangle exclamation point icon on each post that is offensive and it will be sent as a notification to mods and we'll censor it if it's called for.

I have seen "some" members write those kind of things people are talking about, and its not just your random " oh fuck that's awesome " or " I'm totally fucked in this challenge " that kind of cursing is looked at as being ok since its not offensive toward anyone directly but is just foul language.

However, when used in terms like " your a fucking " " I hate your fucking work " or in one such case which really bothered me " get raped " being told to a female member is a step over the line and will not be tolerated.

Thanks
    "I hate this fucking cunt of a thread"

No I don't find swearing a problem, as Prom said, typos are what miff me the most.
    Don't like it, then earmuff yourself.

And since when has CA become so puritanical.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    And since when has CA become so puritanical.
    since f.ex. this thread and similar where i'm afraid i have to say complete2 (pretty often) is very loose with his tongue.
    i'm no fan of name calling,and i'm sure few others are (except for our dirtygoo ).
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Mah, still does not warrant it.
    That is nothing but ego bullshit in my eyes.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    yeah really id love to see poeple all chill the fuck out on all this preachy shit. closing the lounge or censoring ourselves isnt going to do any real good. id like to see people spending more time worrying about the things in life that do matter, such as perspective, value, color, temperature, and pussy

life is too short to get dictatorial about moral etiquette on an internet forum about concept art for games and movies. just think about how absurd that last sentence sounds, ponder it for a minute, and then go draw a goddamn picture of how it makes you feel. then post it.-c36

Thanks
    Its seems pointless to try to make people talk a different way. They are aware that it is wrong... we all grew up being told not to swear. But we do it anyway. Just because one person says stop doesn't mean they will. Half the time those statements are made in anger or stupidity and trying to stop someone from being angry or stupid is like trying to stop the rain from falling. The really bad statements made by some people on this site that are vulgar and offensive directly towards another person are usually made by people that couldn't say it in real life to their faces... that's what makes the internet such a dangerous place for such violent speech... it is because those people just log off and don't have to see that person the next day.. thus they don't feel guilt. Its best to just take every comment at face value and move on. Because half the time you are just wasting your time if you try to rebuke them. So just move on to the next thread.

and as far as censoring swearing because children come onto this site... then we have to also consider the content of the hole site and weather its fit for children's eyes... Should we get rid of all the nude paintings...? suggestive poses....? or any painting that has someone shooting or hurting someone else because those children should not be exposed to violence?

You can't stop the rain from falling
    Rorke
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Coro and Rorke
    point well taken

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    The only reason people are offended by the arbitrary arrangement of four letters is because they choose to be offended. Words are only as harmfull as their intended context. To make no distinction between playfullness and malice is fucktarded.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast