Thanks

Any paintballers here?

I'm about to get seriously into it and I love playing but I can't hack paying shitloads everytime I go, so I'm going to get my own set up.

I've been doing martial arts for about 16 years and its great, but I think I need to take a break from it and I think paintballing is exactl what will fill the void.

The thing about skirmish that appeals to me most is the tactics and teamwork, there are those who are weekend warriors and those who take it as a means of cleansing their soul, practicing thinking logically and overcoming obstacles which are always different - which is why I'm more a fan of MilSim and Woodball than say mindless blasting.

I'm thinking of going either Tippman A-5 with the stealth set-up or the Ariakon Sim-5 set up, leaning towards the Sim-5 because of reported greater accuracy...plus it is a bitchingly beautiful marker that is an almost exact replica of the Heckler and koch MP5 - any component add-ons for the MP5 can be tacked onto the Sim-5, such as scope, laser sites, etc.

http://www.ariakon.com/sim5-pro.asp

Any paintballers here?

Anyone have experience with both and can give good recommendations?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I went paintballing once and we got matched up against a bunch of Army reservists. One of them shot me point blank in the inner thigh (about 2 inches from my tender bits) as I was walking with hands up and plug in back to the "dead zone". Never went back.

Can't give any recomendations on the weaponry, but I can advise you pad up anything fragile on your body.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Yeah ive played a bunch of times...most recently i played at an indoor speedball course which was really fun. The only bad thing was that a thick layer of paint from the paintballs covered the whole floor of the course so you slipped when you tried to run. But one time I slipped and dodged a paintball just as it whizzed by my head.

Thanks
    lol dave that sucks. i played one round where you play till you give up from pain or run out of paint.

Thanks
    That is a gorgeous marker you've found there. I'm going to go check out the stats on it in a second. I'd like to play a round with it before I pass any judgement on it though. I currently have a spider classic with an e-trigger and a freak barrel. If I can get a larger group together to play regularly it might be worth my time to upgrade. As a quick aside, I'm a big fan of the MP-5 as a close quarters assault rifle and having the ability to get real weapon mods for sim games sounds bad ass.
    -Mike V

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    I'm thinking of going either Tippman A-5 with the stealth set-up or the Ariakon Sim-5 set up, leaning towards the Sim-5 because of reported greater accuracy
    go A5!
    a tippmann will last you forever.
    there are easy to feild strip, repair, and can really take a beating.
    the have a ton of custom mods too.

the stock barrel sucks for accuracy though.
    get a 14 or 16 inch barrel, double trigger, and run nitrous...
    you'll have a nasty gun that will out perform everything else in the long run!

i play regularly against $1000 mags and angels,
    and i am consistantly the only guy out there whose not bitching and moaning about how their gun isnt working.
    (well, me and everyone else with a tippmann)
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    yeah, the Tippman is the way to go. I needed something that was durable and could take a beating, because I'm usually rough on the guns, especially when playing in the woods. And you really don't need anything fancy either, in my opinion anyways. It all depends on how you play. Back when i first started to play, my buddy and I would win games against semi-pros and we played with Splatmasters. Does anybody even know what they were? One shot pistols fired by small Co2 capsules. Very primative.

I haven't played in about 5 years and I'm wondering if any of the old playing fields are still there. Hmmm....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration
    go A5!
    a tippmann will last you forever.
    there are easy to feild strip, repair, and can really take a beating.
    the have a ton of custom mods too.

the stock barrel sucks for accuracy though.
    get a 14 or 16 inch barrel, double trigger, and run nitrous...
    you'll have a nasty gun that will out perform everything else in the long run!

i play regularly against $1000 mags and angels,
    and i am consistantly the only guy out there whose not bitching and moaning about how their gun isnt working.
    (well, me and everyone else with a tippmann)
    You ever tried the flatline barrel? I hear it smoothes out trajectory like a mofo.

Thanks
    A while ago, Played with Angel LCDs mostly, Id say go for something else. angels are too expensive for what they produce.

cockers usualy last you your life and has a very nice stability to it. Go for an Air system maybe obvious but co2 sucks ass and explodes in the sun ^^.. man i miss paintball.. . T_t
    Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    i play now and again. my local one is played over an old industrial estate, they even have a couple of old army apc's that you can ride in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    My brother has a tippman custom something with a 16 inch barrel and a red dot sight. (i dunno what its called really, you look through the scope and you see a red dot in there.. some trick with polarized glass i guess..) anyways, with that i HIT the stuff i aim at! I have a very limited experience with paintball markers, but i would recommend tippman!

Thanks
    for the price of that sim 5 i think you could find something better but i dont really no much other then about spyders and alittle about autocockers

go to a piantball forum they will be able to help you alot more
    www.paintballforum.com
    www.pbnation.com

the sim 5 looks to be a stacked tube blowbacks (Spyder Clones) so im you could get a spyder and a barrel and it would be about the same with out the looks.
    Last edited by charger; September 10th, 2006 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    You ever tried the flatline barrel? I hear it smoothes out trajectory like a mofo.
    yeah, i own a flatliner.
    i took it off.

the barrel will add at least 100 feet to your shot, but the accuracy is horrible.
    they veer a good 10 feet in any direction by the time the shot starts to drop.
    its nice when you're at the starting point and you are the ONLY guy whose gun can reach the other side,
    but when you have someone dead in your sights and EVERY shot goes stray...man it pisses me off.

if you are playing woodsball, you might want the range a flatliner provides.
    if you are playing speedball on a course, youll never reap its benefit, total waste.
    im MUCH happier with a 16in sniper barrel.

one more noteworthy thing about the A5... its loud as hell!
    sometimes thats annoying if you are laying low and sniping (itll give away your position)
    but mostly, its intimidating as heck.
    when you buck a shot, people KNOW it.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Tippmann if you want cheap and will last forever with hardly any maintenence never buy the real gun posers, they're just for recball scenarios and overpriced for their preformance. DM4 imo if you don't mind spending the extra money I personally think its extremely cheap for its quality now but cheap to a paintballer is <600, but if you do you'll have to also get an evo2 or halo plus an airtank (not co2), learn some stuff about maintence and yeah start with a tippmann

About the flatline, I think they can be accurate and it does shoot very flat but the thing is, by the time it reaches the distance at which it would hit the target it will about 75% of the time it'll just bounce. Plus the A-5 is heavy I would just stick with the 98 custom, get a revolution hopper, co2 works fine and is cheap, I reccomend the double finger trigger upgrade, toss the crappy like 3millimeter barrel they give you stock and get a 12 or 14 inch, make sure you have a battleswab or a squeegee, always have gun oil with you + wrenches and o-rings(its so annoying paying to play then having your gun break down after 2 games so you can't play for the rest of the day if no one else can help you), and a 3 or 5 pod pack/harness. <-- thats if you're just going to play recreation

Try different brands of paint too, just goto walmart or wherever nearby and try different brands zap is usually good because its not too expensive and still good. I've had my friend acting like an idiot with a screwdriver and he was acting like a ninja then he stabbed my box so it screwed up a whole bag, he said "i didn't hit the bag" i opened it and he broke about 2-3 balls inside, I think it was of Diablo and it still worked average after wiping them off with a towel, occasionaly got a break in the barrel -.- but it sucks cause we were playing at his backyard (which is huge so its kind of like a private field) and I only got about 500 good balls for the whole day ><.

If you want to play speedball and be a little more competetive you should invest some more probably get a bushman(I think they changed the name) or some of the older year shockers, matrixs, autocockers are good too, etc. Get a good mask I extremely reccomend JT proflex, get an airtank/nitro, get a good hopper evo2, halo, or empire. Do NOT buy ricochets they are overpriced. A stiffi barrel is pretty awsome too if you don't mind the extra pay(or steal one at the field like my friend did), they are the lightest barrels and their design makes it so if you have a break in the barrel you and just keep shooting and it'll just clean itself so you wouldn't need a battleswab. I really like to wear cleats when im playing, especially in woodsball cause where I play the entire field is partially downhill except for the bottom and if you're rushing for a bunker then you slip doesn't usually end up very well I wear kneepads too for sliding. If you really want to get into it buy some paintball magazines and read about it I used to suscribe to 2 .

If you keep playing at the same field, talk to people and make friends. Its also nice to become friends with the field owner or people working there, the idea in this is to have someone to talk about or get help from if your gun breaks down or if they have an extra o-ring (and get free paint sometimes ^.^). Especially talking to anyone who might be on a team or knows a lot about the game. The rec field I play at has all the Kapp players that didn't go pro, they play there a bunch and are really cool and skilled guys.

BTW DS sounds like you're playing with people who have tons of money and just buy expensive guns without knowing anything about them I've seen plenty of those around kinda funny sometimes.
    Last edited by Kvick; September 10th, 2006 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks
    Tippmans seem to be really freaking loud tho.

Thanks
    Thanks alot for the responses guys, I typically want to play woodsball type games so I'm looking for a balanced rugged marker, I've read some pretty damn good reviews and I'll keep everything in mind.

I applied for my gun licence yesterday so I'll be getting one some time soon over the next month or so, and I'm ordering my vest, gloves and mask today.

Any good tips on these? I'm leaning towards a Dye Invision - I hear they're good masks and allow a wide range of view and clarity and they're comfortable.

Any paintballers here?

Cheers all.

Thanks
    Alright, cause my last post was an essay I'll try to keep this short.

Don't buy a vest unless its required to play in aus, it reduces mobility, it gets really hot in addition to everything else going on , plus they aren't cheap and spending less is always good and paintballs don't hurt THAT bad (remember this is paintball not war ), a cup I do reccomend though ;P i've seen some nasty injuries down there. About the mask I highly reccomend getting a jt proflex, its the most comfortable you can get, it doesn't look as cool but its almost half the price of the invision, you hardly EVER notice the mask on your face while playing which is awsome. My friend had an invision then he got a flex and liked it better too. If you really aren't sure and want to buy it today I reccomend going to www.pbnation.com and looking around mask threads I can guarentee you there is at least 1 thread comparing the masks.

Edit: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1742707

A post on exactly what you want

Thanks
    *walks in quietly*

Airsoft is better than paintball!

*runs off giggling like a child*

Thanks
    Kvick - thanks for the awesome information mate.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.