cheap cintiq alternative?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hi, i was wondering if lately there has been any cheap alternatives to the cintiqs - i have trawlled through other threads and cant find anything of interest, save one about a chinese screen.

maybe im going to look at second hand 15x's, but i wondered if there was any newer tech.

i dont want a tablet pc, i have a toshiba, broken screen - £400 replacement, hence me wondering if the money is better spent elsewhere - i have a dual-core pc which can handle anything better than a tabletpc ever could

thanks ca

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You get what you pay for with tablets, really. I think if you want a cintiq, than get a cintiq. It's one big purchase, yes. But it would last you quite a long time.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, but im happy with a 12" screen, and the tablet pc's use wacom screens+pens - so i was wondering if there is a way to get one of those without having to pay for the cintiq? (they go up to and above £2000, money i dont have)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wacom does sell a pressure sensitive pen which is actually fairly affordable. These can be used with any touchscreen to get approximately the same effect as having a cintiq.

That being said, most low end touchscreens like most low end LCD's will have poor refresh rates, pixel response times, color reproduction, etc.

You do get what you pay for in terms of a very good monitor, with the added touchscreen and pressure sensitivity. Not to mention, if you get a generic touchscreen, you won't get that nice, paperlike surface you get with a cintiq. You can experiment though and find some kind of suitable overlay.

You can also get one of the above mentioned pressure sensitive pens, and say, a high-end tablet pc, which altogether will cost you roughly as much as a new cintiq. The trade off there however is that tablet PC's are generally mid-range systems even when they're new. You'd want something fairly powerful to handle the speed with which you will be laying lines down. There's kind of a "rubber pen" problem that can occur with even a cintiq, where the line kind of follows the cursor a half a second later.

Anyway, my personal recommendation if you're able to (assuming you're a student with limited means) would be to go the tablet PC route. That way, you have virtually the entirety of your digital studio with you at all times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive got a broken toshiba tablet pc already - £400 for a new screen (the old models had a screen problem where they would come 'unstuck' from the sensor, and mine broke) - so i am used to lag in all places (pen lag, disk lag, lensflare lag )

but, as you said, tablet pc's are mid range - mine is a 1.3ghz (but its very slow - must be some knd of mobile version)

my desktop is a core2 duo - very fast,dual core - i was just seeing, if i could get a new toshiba-wacom screen for £400 - maybe somewhere i could get a usb screen for £400 and use it with my core2 duo desktop

its a shame that wacom dont make a 10-12" budget cintiq, really - they churn out the screens in that size already for the oem's

does anyone want to give me a good deal on an old 15x?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man those 21x whatever Cintiqs... If the conversion I did is right, in Europe they cost like 3700 USD, where in US they only cost 2500... Am I just loopy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    man those 21x whatever Cintiqs... If the conversion I did is right, in Europe they cost like 3700 USD, where in US they only cost 2500... Am I just loopy?

no, you are not loopy - and often the price shown will be without VAT @ 17.5% too

i dont know why there is such a markup on uk goods.

i cant even buy a roll of coloured paper here - i have to buy in sheets

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's because anything american made, they either overestimate shipping (by 1200 bucks?), or they don't really fully calculate the conversion, they guess. Cartoonfox told me that for a new game you guys can pay upwards of 60 or 70 bucks, usually near 100 or so... like if a new game here is 50 bucks, there it will be like 40 pounds, which is totally wrong. - Couldn't you just buy a 21x from the American site and let the conversion take care of itself? Jeez...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thers de 'educational' version of cintiq available in 15"/17"

http://www.wacom.com.sg/price/price.php#otherIPD

After all, dog is a dog. A duck is a duck. But a cat is a person.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to epiphany For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphany
    thers de 'educational' version of cintiq available in 15"/17"

http://www.wacom.com.sg/price/price.php#otherIPD

now that is what im after! im as 'educational' as they come

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just saying a massive massive THANKYOU to epiphany

i love you

i got this in the post the other day - 90,000 yen (£400) and it is absolutely gorgeous, its got a glass screen (my laptop has a plastic one) and feels really smooth and nice - 1024,768, but a 15" screen. it is loads and loads better than my toshiba tabletpc. i can really draw with this. the viewable angle is really good, and its so bright i have to turn it down

im so happy with the action of it im even starting a sketchbook thread because my digital skethching has now improved loads, thanks to it being much more acurate than my tabletpc

i recommend these to anybody at all.

if you know someone in japan you can get them everywhere for the same price, wacom dti-520 U - amazon.co.jp for example.

thankyou soooo much

<im off to draw now>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by russell
    WOW!! how does it compare with an Intuos 3? (have you really used wacom tablets?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cintiq vs. generic touch screen is like intuos vs. generic tablet. If you're willing to pay enough for a knock-off version of your product, you might as well just pay extra for the product that will last longer and work much better. If $3000 US is too much (wacom raised the price from $2500 a few months ago guys, sorry), you can always chance it with ebay:

way cheaper than paying &#163;3000 + VAT

After using a cintiq I can't go back to tablets. I just can't.

Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im actually drawing without looking at the cursor, and it feels a lot better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have one of the small &#163;30 6" ones (quite old, it has a tracing sheet on the top) i dont know if its an intuos or not :

and all i can say is that it feels the same as that, i.e 'smooth' and 'soft' instead of 'thin' and 'glitchy' like my tabletpc.

the glass is not completely flat, - some small imperfections, but its ok for my needs.

this is what i used before, its an old model - but the dti-520 feels like this, for sure :thumbsup: - only thing is the resolution isnt as good as my main monitor (my monitor can go to 2048x1536 and the dti is 1024x768 ) but it feels really nice < i can draw nice curves with it, and good straight lines

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD LORD! Wash that mug, man!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw the P-active and the one I have now, unfortunately they were out of stock and they run about $800 I was going to get one. I did come across another , it was called the YIYNOVA MSP19 tablet monitor it is a 19" alternative. Much like the Cintiq you can draw and paint right onto the monitor, and it has the same pressure sensitivity and specs as the Cintiq 12". It took some digging to find this one but I discovered Amazon has 4 more left I bought one of them, THIS DOES WORK ON BOTH MAC AND PC. WARNING FELLOW MAC LOVERS... The Driver on the Yiynova site seems to be outdated and it took me some hunting to find the driver for a Mac pro Tower. The driver on the Yiynova site doesn't allow your monitor to calibrate the pen (which the pen is battery operated). I hope they have updated by time you guys see this post. Another WARNING to the Mac users... if you are using more than one monitor you may need to make sure that your Yiynova is the being used as the second monitor (maybe its just my system or user error) had a few monitor issues until I switched the two cabels... Any way After I got the correct drivers, got every thing calibrated and started working on it, I must say I am very pleased. If I were going to give it a star rating I would give it a 4 outta 5 because of the blasted problem with having to locate a driver and it not being included or Yiynova not having the updated driver on their site. Having this I wouldn't go back to my Wacom Bamboo, Comparing the Cintiq and the Yiynova, no competition other than the price, Cintiq is top dog of course but you don't know that if you have never used a Cintiq (I have), I however am glad I didn't pay $2000.00, the YIYNOVA MSP19 is only $549.99 on Amazon and right now they only have 4 left PC users You don't seem to have anything to worry about. on some systems they are plug and play (I did check). Over all I like it I wish I didn't have the hiccups in the beginning but I'm glad to be past that part, and every thing seems to be working great, it seems to play well with photoshop and unfortunately I haven't tried it with Zbrush yet. Hope this helps here is a link so you can see the Yiynova

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ivnova&x=0&y=0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do yall think about this?

http://store.tabletmod.com/enlcdlcdcoki.html
    You can pickup a kit that includes everything you need for $409, there's a $50 discount right now so it's $359, but with shipping it comes out to $400 anyway.
    A used intuos4 can be had for $400 tops.

And you need some material and tools, say $50.

So that's a grand total of $850, you get a nice quality 1440x900 15" screen, intuos4 functionality, a semi professional looking acrylic case and stand. If you dish out another $100 for an ergotron LCD arm, it's just shy of a grand for a 15" cintiq that probably has a better screen and equal or better sensitivity.

Yay or nay?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone get a chance to use one of the Yiynova or Pactive displays? Silentrage, did you end up getting a kit from tabletmod.com?

I "know" a cintiq would be better, but the cost is too high for me!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's somebody who did a DIY Macbook to Wacom-based tablet conversion. It's pretty slick.

http://weistudio.com/itab.htm

Members who have read this thread: 2