Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Update -

Found a webpage that everyone one that wants to do a mod for anyone should know about...

www.moddb.com

Free to sign up and free to download, this site traverses 200,000 people a day and has circa 5,000 active mods up right now. If you want quasi industry experience this is your new homepage.

Seedling- sorry about the whole first born child thing...I am just grateful...thats all :!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ConCrete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interesting read.

I honestly don't know what to add. But then, I'm not in the gaming industy. The closest I've gotten to it is garagegames.com, and the blender3d community.

Oh, and talking to the guys that try to escape AE at the SDCC, by fleeing into the comics portfolio review lines.
    I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Thanks for the props DoInferno! This project called for 2 versions of each building...1 big version used for focus panels, and 1 small one that appears on a tileable map of a "town". The big versions are 64 color, the small ones are 32 color.

Here's a sample of a big one that didn't get approved - client said it looked too much like "Guantanamo Prison Camp" LOL

Game Art – Advice From Someone In the Industry

Here's another small one that got revised... one thing to notice here is the greentile square. Also the placement of the entryway. Quite a few of these buildings overlap at certain points, so I had to be concious of keeping the buildings visually accessable. I think that's relevant to the technical points you've been talking about when making tiles.

Game Art – Advice From Someone In the Industry

Seedling, just for relevance these are some of my 2D tiles for a gamelike environment. They're pretty low res/low detail and not really up to the quality of contemporary 2D games... maybe mobile games. However, this project was a very valuable lesson in establishing 3D form first...with a very limited color palette. If someone said "make these 32 bit" it would be rather easy to res up in detail. The form has been taken care of.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Hey guys,
    I’m thinking of starting a thread in the Community Activities subforum, for anyone who wants to post their results for these assignments. Before I do that – are there enough of you who would be interested? Would it be less intimidating to have a separate thread for posting the results of assignments? I would love your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by DoInferno
    Yes. That΄s what i thought. But i also wonder this field will disappear soon, since cell phones are getting better really fast...
    Nah – when cell phones are as advanced as console games, then wristwatches and cereal boxes will be as advanced as cell phones. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j
    this thread is gold
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by ConCrete
    Found a webpage that everyone one that wants to do a mod for anyone should know about...

www.moddb.com
    Wickedawesome! Thanks for finding that!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaelys
    Seedling, just for relevance these are some of my 2D tiles for a gamelike environment. They're pretty low res/low detail and not really up to the quality of contemporary 2D games... maybe mobile games. However, this project was a very valuable lesson in establishing 3D form first...with a very limited color palette. If someone said "make these 32 bit" it would be rather easy to res up in detail. The form has been taken care of.
    I guess this is why I’m surprised that anyone makes the distinction between “pixel art” and any other sort of game art. Working with modular units is a task that is always fraught with technical hurdles and limitations, no matter what the resolution level, as far as I can tell.

The words “res up” kind of scares me. I’ve run into situations where someone wants me to take a texture of 256 or 512 resolution, and somehow magically make it as large as 1024. Maybe I just don’t know the proper tricks, but I’ve never been able to do that with any decent quality – not without essentially starting over.

I'm so sleepy. . .
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    A Community Activities subforum would be great, but at the moment I'd be limited to the drawing assignments because I have no knowledge of 3d or texturing.

Thanks
    Seedling: Just replace "res'ing up" with "add another layer of detail". That should remove some confusion For instance going from a 256 tile to a 512...well, now we might be able to see some variants of sandstone particles IN the masonry brickwork, instead of just tileing the brick modules themselves.

In other words, yep, you're starting over

As far as pixel art is concerned, I can tell you that there is a difference. It's easy to create a building that sits on an isometric 256 pixel square. I think it gets more complex when you make something in 3D, not to mention the 32 bit textures. Conceptually the construction is similiar, but then you have to be able to work in the 3D apps. It takes a great deal of time to learn to work efficiently.

I'd be interested in the results sub-posting forum. In my case, I probably won't be posting much. I'm in school learning 3D apps and digital painting ;-)
    Last edited by Thaelys; September 27th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    Here is a great ressource for those that want to learn about Pixel Art:

http://petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

A Community Activities subforum, will be great, since things will get more organized this way, but as i still know nothing about 3D i´ll also have to leave this part out... The best thing in my oppinion is about leting this thread be what it already is: A great source of information for our career goals!

Keep it up Seedling! Thanks a lot!
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carlosranna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And here is something about Isometric imagery and pixel art:

http://www.pixelfreak.com/v3/en/tutorial0.html
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 754 Posts
    Great thread Seedling. Lot's of useful info.

I have a question beacause I'm the most interested in enviroment design. How does single pics relate to enviroments in games? Are they just to show mood and colour scheme? For example some FPS maps are usually much more than this. Does it mean that it would be necessary to design whole plan of the level and also single objects like furniture? Do they usually use some level editor for level design or is it all done in 3d program like 3dsmax/maya?
    It's not so new to me beacause I'm studying architecture but I'm curious if I should practice something more than just single digital pieces

Oh... and I found some interesting freeware FPS game called Sauerbraten (or Cube 2). It looks like clone of Quake but what is very nice about it that the engine is that it allows to create/edit levels during the game. You just push 'e' key and you enter Edit mode in which with only few options you can create whole maps from scratch. I thought it might be interesting to somebody to who want's to have fun and design levels at the same time .
    Here's the link to the game's website: http://sauerbraten.org/
    Last edited by Farvus; September 28th, 2006 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    Hi all,

This is a VERY good ressource for would be concept artists (or other) in the industry thread. She is telling it like it is, Kuddos Seedlings!

I will repost here what I wrote somewhere else:
    One of the reason for my posting, other than to introduce myself properly to you all, is to help the would-be environment concept artists looking for a job the game industry. Quick explanation:

In the process of recruiting concept artist for the developer I work for I came to realize that a lot of artists miss on the oportunity to get hired because their portfolio (as beautifuly painted as it may be) lack texture work.
    In a nutshell, the industry is evolving. With the next gen it now cost a fortune to develop a game. So to squeez cost it increasingly becomes the job of the concept artist to supply the people building the worlds with every info (within the concept) they will need to build and that includes texture as well. In a word they don't have the time anymore to do research. Just a word of advice.
    By the way my company (Crystal Dynamics) is still looking for a concept artist.

Another thing I thought I could shed some light on. Something I gotta do a lot as a concept artist is "Paint overs". What that means is this:

The game designers come up with a crude rendition of the environments they want for the game dynamic (I don't necessarily or at all have a say in this) and my job is to turn it in something worth looking at or going through. I have selected to samples of that for you guys so you know what I am actualy talking about. (Attached below).

It could be a good exercise for you guys to try to make some. Things to keep in mind: Keep some unity within the world you are creating. Try to go super-realistic because this is where the market is at these days.

Voila. I hope that can be helpful.

Regards.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to djobuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Djobuk this is a fantastic contribution! This is exactly the kind of information I've wanted to see.

One of the techniques that I've been researching lately is "5D" artwork. It looks like what you're doing here - painting over a 3D model.

A friend that is studying environment design at AAU talked about this. I heard 5D is used regularly in matte painting, and I'm glad to see that this has cross-pollinated over to games.

Wow, thanks for sharing these! Great exercise opportunity.

Thanks
    I am glad if it helps.

I have never heard of the 5D label but basicaly you paint over a screenshot to dress it up. Sometimes you start a concept from scratch because they have no idea what they want and sometimes it's pretty specific like the samples I posted.

In a word it's good to be adaptable

Good luck

Thanks
    Well, 5D from what I understand works something like this. Start with a 3D model. Texture that with something basic, then jump back to an app to do a high-res 3D paint over. The output of that process is a highly detailed 3D scene.

It's sort of what you're doing here, except that you're not immediately going back into 3D to apply textures. From what I can see here, it's still concept but your getting one step closer to texturing the scene.

Thanks
    Thanks djobuk that was very helpful. It just made me think of a good community activity, where we can be given a basic 3D screenshot and everyone has to paint over the same render, ending up with numerous interpretations of the same space. Would anyone be kind enough to provide these renders?

Thanks
    Aaahr..unfortunately I don't do 3D But I think it's a good portfolio-building idea.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast