DSG 1114: Sci-Fantasy: SWASHBUCKLING HERO SWORD-BATTLES THE MANY-ARMED METAL MAN
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: DSG 1114: Sci-Fantasy: SWASHBUCKLING HERO SWORD-BATTLES THE MANY-ARMED METAL MAN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

DSG 1114: Sci-Fantasy: SWASHBUCKLING HERO SWORD-BATTLES THE MANY-ARMED METAL MAN

[ Apologies, as always. ]

[ ]

[ Don't worry... New topics will appear for at least the next 2 consecutive days. ]

[ ... ]

[ Alright... Get busy with the mayhem. ]

Sci-Fantasy: SWASHBUCKLING HERO SWORD-BATTLES THE MANY-ARMED METAL MAN

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my works done, and I'm actually pretty proud of myself! a kid with sword and shield VS themetal six-arms with multi-weapons. hope you lie it, I'll ink it and paint it in photoshop soon...

crits are welcome, I stiull got alot to learn since I'm only 15, haha

Last edited by ramonsk8; September 9th, 2006 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

..--..

Bic pen and 20% cool grey prisma marker.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahkahna, I really like it. big multi-armed robot VS swordsman...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my first post was just a sketch, I worked it out by first inking the lines andthen paint it with photoshop. I think it's a HUGE step forward since my last drawing for another DSG-assignment. I really liked working with it, and my shadows look alot better now, please let me know what you think about it:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, here´s mine.

Ramonsk8: The kid is not really a swashbuckler, the man is not really made of metal. Their poses are really odd. But hey, keep practising. Here´s a useful piece of advice, though: When you open the scanned drawing in photoshop, try fiddling with image->adjust->levels for a while, to get rid of all the grey papertexture in the back, it´s killing the colors.

And finally: Instead of posting different versions of the same image in seperate posts, could you PLEASE just edit your first post? It´s kind of a nuisance to see (almost) the same image many times through a thread. Well, to me it is, anyway. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by Crustacean; October 11th, 2006 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First post here, yay. Been looking for excuses to use my sexy new wacom tablet. Yeah.

Should new people criticise too? Ok.

ramonsk8 - Their poses actually capture the motion pretty well. In power grips though, the thumb is on top of the rest of the fingers, not underneath. Not bad for your age though.

Ahkana - That is one sexy style. It's lovely. You've even got a sexy little signature going on there.

Crustacean - Wow, that's incredibly original imagery. Are you a surrealist artist irl?

PS. What's the standard image size? I didn't see it in the FAQ.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi crustacean

first of all, I don;t have a scanner.

2: I didn't know what a swashbuckler is, I'm dutch and now in my 4th year of high school, I'm pretty good at english, but that's a really hard word, haha

3: I do need alot of practicing, but if you check back on other DSG-forums, you'll see that there's ALWAYS one picture that doesn't complete 100% of the "guidelines", it's more to give you inspiration and an idea, only his arms are metal, I don't really see what's so bad about that...

by the way, I think you're right. this is the first time I was really posting something I was proud of, so I did the sketch and the final, but I'll keep that in mind. no offence

and then mehz
    I really like your drawing, the metal-man is pinned to the ground and the hero does his final attack to end the match, really good poses. and thanks for your advice, you're right, I forgot about that haha. next time I draw fighting characters, I'll pose in front of a mirror for better drawings, thanks again...

Last edited by ramonsk8; September 9th, 2006 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Capt. Bloody J. Flint thought this would be an easy catch, not realizing he actually attacked a ship carrying the Dutch Navy's secret weapon.
    painter, 45 I reckon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think i'll do this one...

SKETCHBOOK OF STUFF

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's just awesome goran, lots and lots of energy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    goran: wow, I really love it, though I only count 2 arms on each robot. but, as I said before, it's about the inspiration, idea and the inner art, than about the rules... good job!

hamsta: that isn't my favorite drawing, I don't really like the style, but it's about how YOU like to draw, not about what I think... I still think you did a great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first DSG, would have added a bit more detail, but photoshop decided to crap out of me. Comments and crits welcomed!

Talent and all that for the most part is nothing but hogwash. Any schoolboy with a little aptitude might very well draw better then I perhaps, but what he most often lacks is that tough yearning for realization, the teeth-grinding obstinacy and saying: even though I know I'm not capable of it, I'm still goning to do it.

-M.C. Escher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ramonsk8: I agree dude, it doesn´t really matter about the metal and so on, but you asked for crits, and those just came to mind. Didn´t mean to sound too harsh.

No matter how you got your drawing to the computer, I still think it would be beneficial to eliminate the grey in the background.

Mehz Thx, mang. Not to my knowledge, no..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried coloring this but it needs more time than I have, seeing as though the new DSG is already up (!)

Referenced Jusepe De Ribera:

http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/databa...ge.asp?id=9544

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I sometimes get too exited, and I started rendering too much of this piece, but anyway some 3 hours or something, for a sketch, yes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Swashbuckler is French.

quickfire sketch made in alias sketchbook pro 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ofcourse I know that, crustacean, no harm done

and by the way, there has been alot of new posts! I check this forum each hour, but I just woke up from 7 hours sleeping and look at this!

GodsToasterOven: I love it, pirate VS robot pirate. what I really like about the robot are his face and his feet, I don't know why but they're catching my eye... good job!

LadyHydralisk: I like it, but the light in the middle of it is spoiling it. it's hard to see the robot, and I guess you photograsphed it with a camera, am I right? I do that all the time, since I don't have a scanner...

dan liimatta: good job dan! that robot looks like REAL metal, as an underwater-robot that has been waiting for years for a good captain to fight with... I like it

and finally, Optimus Rodney: I liek the sketch, though it';s a bit hard to see what itactually is. if you would work this one out, it could be really cool...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LadyHydralisk - it looks like a surreal drawing made to a goethe poem.

goran - thats awesome.

ramonsk8 - try out some more life art to give your drawings a more natural feel. also try out the loomis, watkiss and walter forster books.

dan - that totally rocks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Optimus Rodney: thanks for the crits. I can try to give it a more natural feeling, but what's loomis, watkiss and walter forster? never heard of, I'll google it. thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. I messed up the photo. My scanner is good but...I don't know how to configure it properly and the pad is much too big for the scanner. I could have gotten a better capture, but I was rushing to get some schoolwork done.

Hurrah for French swashbucklers and fighters of the RIAA robots!

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ramonsk8 Well, my own work left my undecided - some of it is good, some of it is crap. Glad you liked it.

Why are your colors so unsaturated? did you use multiply for the lineart layer? maybe you should run it through layers, and make it cleaner.
    Having an unsaturated pallette can be an excellent idea, but your color choices are very cartoony, and don't fit such a pallette in my taste.
    As for the rest... you need to work on anatomy, this is some very odd positioning, and while I understand you wanted to make this dynamic... it's not really working.
    Shading needs more contrast, and it looks like you used some faded black, which IS NOT the way to go, you need to pick a darker color for the shadows.

Don't despair, or take this harshly. If it will make you feel better, I can show you I used to draw like that :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    helleu Hamsta

my colors suck because I have to photograph my drawing and then put it in the computer, zo the background isn't white but kind of brown, zo when I wanna use very light color I just can't see them. it IS cartoony, and this was the first time ever I tried something with shadow, I was just experimentating. and I do use multiply for layers, I didn't get much time for photoshop yet, so I'll make some time for it. thanks for your crits...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.