Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For Portfolio

Thanks

For Portfolio

Im a senior in High School and getting started on my portfolio, its late in the game i know but i just really decided that art is what i want. Both peices are undfinished but really need critique, this may become a center for critique fora ll my portfolio peices.

Taken with a digital camera pretty quickly
    unclutering host
    Last edited by dimi16; December 21st, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hmm, well I'm glad to hear that art is what you want. It's a very frustrating yet fulfilling field. The first piece to me feels a bit messy. Not so much the lines, but it's a bit hard to tell exactly what's going on there. the second one is good, but it needs more. at this point, it feels alot like an unfinished sketch. try makin the lines a bit darker and adding more shading to it to round it out a bit more. good luck!

Thanks
    I undestand your position....just two things you want to consider for your portfolio:

- Don´t be afraid of contrast, darker tones and cleaner white spaces will help you a lot.

-Draw your portfolio pieces from reference, is the evaluation standard anyways.

Good luck, try to use your time wisely.

Thanks
    Agreed. The composition of the first one is weak, but I think the large size of the image is probably contributing a lot to that. You should shrink it down so we can see it all without scrolling. If you can, scan it in so we can see the lines better, too.

Overall, it's a good start. You should probably brush up on your fundamentals; your rendering looks pretty weak, and your linework is sketchy.
    CA.org wiki
    Lots to learn in there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

EDIT: What kind of portfolio are you looking to make? Frem these it looks like illustration?

Thanks
    You have a good start to your future. You have imagination and that will carry you far. What art school will give you are the skill sets that you need to make your vision of what you want to create come alive. There are two types of training. One the four year degree at a traditional college, second the dedicated art school which can offer you a four year degree as well as assoicate degrees 2, 3 years worth of education. The traditional school will give you the book learning, the art school the hands on skill development. It's up to you to choose, whats near you, cost etc. I have both a BS and a BFA from a traditional and then an art school. Each has it's advantages.

I can relate to you about changing your mind. Don't ever feel you are trapped in your career goals. My son was going to be an aerospace engineer and after being in shool one month says he wants to an artist like his Dad. Oh well...there goes my in-law suite at his mansion...

My best piece of advice is this, draw something everyday. Draw the people you see, get a sketch book, fill them up every page. Don't cross out anything or tear out pages. Draw, Draw, Draw, to make that muscle strong.

Stay Hungry

Thanks
    i think im going to scratch the first one and use nib and ink on the second one to clean up the lines. Thoughts?
    The first one sorta just came out with out much thinking so i think thats why its so messy. Im much more of a cartoonist than anything else so i think thats why my fundementals are weak. Im going to bring a sketch book to school with me and draw every class.
    Last edited by dimi16; December 21st, 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    I would seriously not use Whale Dates a Lighthouse for your portfolio. The composition is not very effective in conveying an idea (except chaos) and sends the eye all over the place, jumping here and there and all over. Look up some of the points for generating a good composition (Loomis is always a good place).

And since your stuff is leaning on the cartoony side of the store, you would really profit from this site: http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/.

Also, like many have already said: draw from life, draw from reference, draw everyday, draw whenever you can, draw as much as you can, draw, draw, draw.

Thanks
    okay yes this is a portfolio for illustration.
    My fubndementals are most definitly weak, ive taken one art class at highschool and it was just and introductory drawing class freshman year. Heres something else im concepting at the moment... thoughts?
    For Portfolio

thanks
    Dimi

Thanks
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    Even for illustration, you will probably need even stronger foundations then for a good art school. They don't care so much about your current illustrative abilities- That's what they HELP you with. They just want you to be able to draw from life well.

And if it's for a career, not a college, then you should save up for adobe illustrator. I highly doubt crayon will get you an illustration job.
    Illustrator? Don't you mean Photoshop? Maybe if he wanted to do design stuff... or maybe Illustrator is used for more actual illustration than I think

Thanks
    im sorry if i didnt make it clear enough but that ws just a concept and the colored pencil was used just to test out colors, it was done in my sketchbook

Since im new at this whole art school thing itd be gret if someone could explian exzactly what they want in a portfolio for an illustration program. Maybe someone from SVA, SCAD, or some similar school.

thanks

p.s. i do have photoshop which i use for illustrations but i like to keep all my concepts in paper and pencil

Thanks
    People have already told you- they want to see you draw from life, nude models, draped models, still lives, landscapes, etc.

And I assume anyone over 12 who likes art already has photoshop... Illustrator is good for vector things though, it depends what feild of illustration I guess.

Actually ilaekae, I think it's just when we think illustration, we think of that His Dark Materials stuff Nox did- not logos or editorial stuff or wutev.
    Last edited by Justin.; September 9th, 2006 at 02:19 PM.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Rhineville, Illustrator is actually used more than PS in the illustration field when you consider the entire graphics industry. Has been since it came out. Using PS for simple spot illustrations and anything approaching technical or cartoon/most editorial art is like using a hammer to open a jar of pickles. There are exceptions, of course, but time is a factor, and so is the ability to work without worrying about raster/size conflicts. And anyone who attempts a logo for general application in PS is an idiot. Even some artists who appear to work only in PS as a finish will start their work in Illustrator to speed up production...

["...let the wars begin..." he thought, after realizing he just posted in a forum where PS and Painter are worshipped as gods...]
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    Rhineville, Illustrator is actually used more than PS in the illustration field when you consider the entire graphics industry. Has been since it came out. Using PS for simple spot illustrations and anything approaching technical or cartoon/most editorial art is like using a hammer to open a jar of pickles. There are exceptions, of course, but time is a factor, and so is the ability to work without worrying about raster/size conflicts. And anyone who attempts a logo for general application in PS is an idiot. Even some artists who appear to work only in PS as a finish will start their work in Illustrator to speed up production...

["...let the wars begin..." he thought, after realizing he just posted in a forum where PS and Painter are worshipped as gods...]
    Ahhhh yes silly me. When I think Illustration I have the warped romantic scene of bookcovers and such... plus I haven't spent a lot of time in Illustrator at all (stupid strike at school cut it out of my design intro semester) but yes, thinking back I remember my instructors portfolio pieces that were mainly done in Illustrator.

And yes, I have tried making logos in PS (I don't have Illustrator) and it's a big ol pain.

But wouldn't Dimi also benefit from working in PS? It seems like he prefers loose drawing instead of more technical and stylish pieces. (I'm asking for him and for myself )

EDIT: and no wars from me. I'm a design student and I know Photoshop falls flat on it's face in certain areas. Also I see great stuff from people done in Illustrator all the time here, I just don't know what it's like to draw in it is all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast