Sketchbook: end of sketchbook, come see my new one under the username AlexC - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: end of sketchbook, come see my new one under the username AlexC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, a huge thanks for all the replies and motivation, Ive been neglecting my (ca) sb lately because it takes so long to upload everything and scan
    This is just some of my stuff, I do a truck more, but i am lazy afterall
    I have lots of wip stuff that youll see in next updates, big stuff in my A2 sb, should be rockin!

for the past 3 days I have been doing digi self portraits, Ill show todays, going for the android look!
    james, I was working on line so that may explain it, thanks for dropping by dude, muchappreciated.
    Asoir, its coming, have a lol on me
    Oma: thanks mate
    Cup-o-joe thanks joe
    Lukias, THANKYOU, I am truly honoured that you would post here! The shading is patchy because i need to work on longer strokes, and Im working on line now, again, I am honoured:yayca
    thanks mate

Gleeson: thanks for the kind words, any your m=right about magic man, he is one of the most amazing, inspiring artists, and I owe him much thanks for the crits he gave me when I was a beginner, unfortunately he hasnt updated lately, which kinda stinks thanks mate
    Entdroid, thanks for your ongoing support, and if you find me dedication inspiring, that just a bonus

note that some were taken with a camera cos my scanner is 4 times too small.

OH, and I had the portrait drawing course today, these were the best 2, The first one was 15 mins and the 2nd was 35 mins, both in charcoal which I fell in love with

crits appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow mate, your work is coming along great, your graphite portrait is a far cry from your earlier works not so long ago.

I'd say just keep at what you are doing, you are doing all the right things and even though you will feel frustration, thats all part of the learning process, just to take that frustration in stride and just keep drawing even with the seeds of doubt plucking away at ya.

Hope things are well, Daz.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LMAO. Nice. Everybody, i'm the little head that's next to the text saying 'sorry' (third page) Great job. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Charcoals are nice, I think this medium gave you some more possibilities to loosen up, which is something I think you were needing a bit, so I hope to see more of those
    The digi sp looks a bit... chaotic. I think it's great that you experiment, and just be spontaneous, but it is just a bit too random at places, try to think more about your strokes, and don't use texture brushes if the texture is not adding to what you're trying to do, 'cause some of these brushes look a bit forced, not coherent to the rest of the piece. I think you are starting to get something there though, keep trying and experimenting. And remember to have fun!
    You're doing great, man, I wish I had your determination and strong will when I was your age. Actually, I'd wish I had it now And thank you for your support too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The charcoal portraits are looking good keep up with experimenting with the different mediums and stay true to your commitments

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone, appreciate the comments
    Magic Man, thanks Darren, hope your bio is comign along well
    Frustration is just another struggle I guess, ususally I draw to get rid of my frustration, but crappy skills=frustration.
    Oh, I ordered some books from design studio press, which should come by my birthday(lets hope).
    thanks mate!
    asoir, lol, ty for teh thread spam!

entdroid, thanks, some more charcoal( and i did much more, but you will never see) the didgital is shit, I was just messing round, tring to learn something, thanks
    oldnoobie thanks

Well went to my art store and bought some new materials-
    2 mechanical pencils( 0.7, 0.3~ really thin and damn awesome), some 0.5 2b leads, a 0.1 pine pen and 2 copic markers which cost a fortune.

Well, cant be stuffed fotographing A2 sb so Ive been getting crazy with green paper(love the stuff) and doing some pencil, pen stuff on it
    Im not sure how the green pages will look scanned who knows)

sb stuff, digital soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the charcoal sp, needs a wider range of values though, they look a bit too even right now.
    The little landscape thumbs are nice too. Some of the profile faces here and there look a bit weird, you should focus on the lighting some more, 'cause it looks made up and flattens the drawing.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo man, beent too long since I've strolled around in yo new Sb. I dig the amount of stuff you're trying out. Cool to see how you handle charcoal and mech pencil differently. That green paper is indeed awesome, how'd you come by that? I really dig the characters on this one, with the green paper you can start poppin some highlights in there.
    Keep up the pace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    entdroid-
    the scan sort of washed out the values, and it was as dark as it the charcoal got. I blame the scan again for the profile stuff, but your probably right as usual.
    thanks a lot
    Andy P
    Thanks mate~ the green paper is just normal green printing paper, it is an Australian brand but i got it in a pack of 100 sheets.
    I got some highlights for ya!!

well lately Ive felt washed out, mainly because ive been sick. Maybe its a slump or something, I cant wait for it to be better.

I think Im going insane, literally.
    I was doing a lot of self portrait painting in painter yesterday. SO I go to sleep and dream about painting in painter. My mum comes to wake me up and I tell her Im painting and go back to working in my mind. I wake up feeling awful and sick. Are computers taking over our mind, working in our dreams?
    I feel crap

~the porrtrait from life in 30 mins, the features study from a model-
    were doing film poster for school so i have some thumbs
    crits on the self portrait painter one would be nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you're rendering is getting so much better, and your focus on forms is becoming much better. I can't say much that hasn't been said. Great that your'e constantly at it Blanq.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't worry about the feeling of being burnt out ... we all get those feelings occassionally, some more than others. So just relax, it will subside soon, actually this is a good time to practice drawing what you normally don't draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    although the green does distract a bit i do like it and love these pen sketches you did on it
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1162376708
    some nice shapes and line work on there man. keep up all the experimenting..

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man I like what you got going on in here. Latest head studies are lookin pretty good ! Would be cool to see you try to blow up some of those thumbnails and work out some scenes and stuff .. looks like you could do a good job with it. The ear in the last post seems a little flat, it should be set off from the side of the head a little bit.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woot, someone has been working hard
    forms are indeed looking better, keep working on it. Impressed by your constant efforts !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crits on the painter portrait, huh? Mmmh, I'll try to help a bit with that. Many of these advices are those thing I don't always do, hehe, but I know I should
    First, I think you would be better off starting with some color in the bg, white is no good, a medium value and rather neutral color helps you with you value settings, avoids those white holes between strokes and helps you beat the "fear of the blank page" if you have it. Your first strokes should be bigger strokes, setting loosely the basic shapes and values. I think you get lost too soon trying to define things and not focusing in getting the basic shapes first. I do that sometimes, so I can assure you it's not a good idea Try to see what happens if you set some big basic shapes of flat color and start rendering from there.
    Just some stuff to keep in mind, but you're doing great! You're pencil sketches are getting better and better I'd love to see some pencil linework from you some day, not rendered stuff... you know, getting out of your comfort zone for a bit
    Keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jake: thanks mate, i try my hardest to render well, Im not too happy wit it though.
    oldnoobie(do you have a first name, i hate the name noobie 'cos youre getting quite good)Im back and better than ever!! Yeah, bad spots and highs, they come they go.
    tensai thanks dood, love your pen stuff aswell, I got some more for ya, and yes the green does detract, but thats the scanners falut.
    someguy: thanks dood, I hate working big, im just not good at it, the ear is unfinished thats why its flat, thanks for the crits though, much appreciated.

spade: :chug thanks
    entdroid- firstly thanks for the long post; While I dont have the "fear of white page" your definately right. What would make a good colour? WHen i start i try and block it out, thats what really defines the outcome. The first recognisable feature of the human is the silouette of the head. Its how we spot a frien from 30 metres or catch a glimpse of the back of someones head. Sometimes when Im "feeling it" It will work, but other times i convert to doing the lines with pen.

As with the non rendered pencil, forget it, that what pen is for! ANd there will be much more of that i promise

Well, almost disappointedly I was voted with 1 star putting me down to 3 stars. I honestly dont care, but if your intention was for me to not get as many comments, well then Im disappointed. If you are going to vote me down wit a terrible rating, PLEASE justify this with a critique. I know I can do(will do) better after time, but till then, help me get better.
    My only worry- lower stars-lower views-lower comments-lower crits

oh, and i bought a few 100 pages anatomy book with underlying structure, fun fun fun!!
    studies when i scan em, ive got em

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kewl stuff ... bet you would love sketching on brown paper if you want to experiemnt with some really cheap paper, you can get a roll of painter's brown masking paper. It's kind of thin but its pretty smooth for nice tonal studies.

My name is Lee and thanks for the compliment though I am still very much a noobie, an old one at that I'm only back at this for almost 4 months.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the studies are lookin pretty goood, i like that your using marker and pensf too! looks like your workin hard witht he self portrait, just remember if the heads tilted to the right then the left eye is higher, and the opposite. to me it looks as though its tilted to our left a bit, but the eyes dont show that. just maybe spend that bit extra on the conxtruction.
    keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress as always. Your heads keep getting better and better and great to see some smoother shadings too. I think you could try applying more of your facial anatomy knowledge to your self-portraits too and not only trust the lighting as diffused as it sometimes is. The cheek and eye socket areas especially look sometimes a bit undefined in those.

I've especially liked your space vehicle designs lately. They look both varying and original... You seem to have a good imagination with those, unlike me (and I'm supposed to be studying industrial design ). Great cars too, though remember the importance of construction lines.

Keep the anatomy pages coming but my advice is still to get to the underlying things already - even if it could ever be too early, I don't think it'd be for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I love your creatures. You're very in-tune with unfamiliar alien musculatures! Keep going with those amazing human faces.

On another note, it's inspiring to me to see someone break all the barriers I encountered at 14. Keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on the pen and marker sketches! The cars are starting to shape up, I hope to see more of those. I will insist on the pencil linework though, hehe, def not the same Some of the features in the faces are a bit big, watch those out!
    I also gave you some stars for your ongoing efforts, enjoy!
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lee, thanks mate, hmmm, toned paper, Ill have a look, i need to buy a new sketchbook and leads so Ill see what they've got, thanks. Doin' pretty good for only 4 months
    rodrigo, thanks very much, like your work too. Ill keep that in mind, I have some self portrait goodies today. Thanks.
    Smuli-I swear Ill do some studies, serious!!
    thanks
    desperata: thanks, hehe I use dog anatomy(which you can easily get off the net) and make it up on some more extrmem creatures. Im not sure if my faces are amazing, but thats a big compliment, thanks!

entdroid: hehe thanks, btw the cars are ref'd from a book. Dont want to dive head first into the perspective yet.Thanks for the stars, hehe, i really wanted 4 stars before I turn 15 lol, even if i didnt deserve them.

small update, Ive done much more than this(like anatomy studies etc), and Ive lost some green pages. All is from life really. Crap scan on the first self portrait.
    Crits would be nice

Oh, btw, I turn 15 on Tuesday the 14th of NOV, lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow .. this one is really nicely done, some tight rendering

and happy birthday in advance, I might forget

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you're one of those people who keep progressing silently every day and then one day wake up and create one piece that makes every other artist want to jump off a ledge

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the hard work! i should show you the shite i was doing at 14, youre doing great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool studies man. On that last drawing where you have fractured the dudes face i like how you have left out some of the outline of the lips, the strength of the lightsource is realy hinged on that and its pulled off nicely. watch those eyes brows and tear duct areas though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Im officially 15, dont expect the same obnoxious, tactless hijinks of yesteryear
    Lee: thanks mate
    Hyver: haha, well Dont expect any ledge jumping art for a while, I have a long way to go..but thanks very muchbtw your stuff is looking fine

rodrigo!!!
    lol, you should show me, could be motivating. But Im sure your 15 stuff tromps mine, dammit, you are so good

Gleeson, thanks again, In portraits, In males, you dont really put the bottom lip in, just hint at it. btw, really digging your recent stuff, looking damn fine!

Got some great presents:
    3 Design studio press books( which havent come yet dammit)
    milkshake maker
    badmington rackets, shuttles
    some monies
    tshirt
    + I bought an xbox 360 with some saved money, in a pack with doa and pgr, and soon to be Gears of war

and i bought an a4 sketchbook
    and now Im broke lol

well you'd expect some sort of improvement but this is a crappy update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting to see the evolution of your drawings. Actually I like the cleaner signs (related to the previous drawings). You should try to study more anatomy because it's still rigid.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, your shading is so fucking annoyingly good. next wes i tells ya!
    keep it up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, Sorry for not posting, nice updates, like the last one the most,
    you improve alittle by every piece, thats nice!
    Btw, you got these books from Design Studio Press yet ?
    I dont know which books you bought, but the books i have are awesome!
    (Concept 1 & 2 , and the skillful huntsman, haha you already know that)
    Alright, congratz on your birthday! I was supposed to make a thread, but my net fucked up, sorry man , you are really one of these people around that deservs a Happy Birthday thread, Hope you had a great one anyways!
    Keep at it!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2