Sketchbook: end of sketchbook, come see my new one under the username AlexC - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: end of sketchbook, come see my new one under the username AlexC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lackluster update of poop

J a k e - hi dude, your kicking a lot of ass right now! I agree about your point about forms, let me continue this discussion in diles reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dile
    Crits ? its damn messy, and you abused bumskess brushes more then anyone else never done before in any speedpaint ever produced
    With that said, its very flat, and as J A K E said,its got no real forms to look at I where to harsh ?
    Ohwell, sorry for that, However, on some places I can see you used alot of opacity brushes, so I can still see the orignal picture behind! wich for now is WHITE Try to fill the canvas quickly with a base color, AND then set up your dominant lightsource Will help you alot my friend Glad you
    working with digitals, even if the last one is a mees, although I hope there
    will be an update on that one ? please ?
    However, the speedpaint you did in before that, I love that one, doesnt looks like you really, in a good way man! Keep at it!
    Dile- Hi Dennis, whats up? Maybe its just me, but you seen really stressed lately.
    Firstly, Dude, "abused" is a strong word, and it hit a nerve, because unlike you, Im pretty new to the whole speedy idea.
    Firstly, it was an exercise to practice colour, texture and composition.
    I bedieve there is a certain etiquitte(sp) and tact to a crit, and you seen off the mark lately. Sorry if Im getting a bit tutchen with my reply, but EVERYTHING, is learning, because you experiment, and learn from your mistakes.
    I filled the background with a base colour, and it wasnt white(except for the top left)
    Anyway, thanks for being honest.

Danielc- thanks dan for dropping by.
    I agree with your large strokes comment, its correct.
    Thanks for the crits.

Chr- the hands? what hands?
    Yes, people have told me to use large brushes for digipainting, and for I do, I just get smaller and smaller for detail in areas.

SO heres my awful update, very disappointing, I gotta pick up my game. Its funny, on the holidays with all the time on my hands, I draw less than on school nights. I feel awful for my laziness, I gotta work harder and harder! dammit

mostly pen stuff from city, and creature doodles.
    #not all stuff was very quick, and the line quality is terrible, shoot me#

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Im sorry, I was thinking maybe you should wrote something like that back when I was first posting, but now when looking at what I wrote, I dont think I was that harsh really, I was hounest, but seriously, the whole comment was positive, Its just that I think you fucked up the last one alittle by drawing with to small strokes, and really putting down brushes without haveing any idea why..Sure
    its a speedpaint, and I mentioned I was glad over you worked digital in my last post aswell, im still, I think you reacted wierd to what I wrote, sorry
    man, but even if I sounded mean, that wasnt my real purpose, I remember I wrote a god damn long crit to you in your old sb, and you took it just fine, maybe your the guy stressed up ?
    And man, you always tell me how good your at pencils, and how much Im lacking on em, and that im the better on digitals, I have never said your crit
    was invalid cause of that, but as soon Im trying to help, [even If i was tired, but still hounest] you take it wrong..
    You get amazing crits in your thread, so if you think im stressed up, and that what I said was just bullshit, ignore me man, you got tons to work on anyways! [and now im talking about working out crits!]

However, your speed paint- I still have no idea whats going on in there, and the fact you resized it , isnt makeing it easier for me, and also, you been useing
    ALL sorts of colors in it, and it doesnt really work, Im just telling you man!
    I have never seen any black and white work from you digital, have I ?
    Attempt to make a b&w digital, and lets see how it looks man!

~Ohwell, no more crits then, I just tell you what you wanna hear~

The last pencil stuff is really nice man, I belive your alot more comfortable with pencils/ markers then you are with digitals, and the marker sketches is really looking good, wanna see more of those!
    These ink drawings is really intresting since I attempted something similair while sitting in the kitchen just a day ago, I will keep doing those to get better line quality, and I hope you are aswell!
    The drawing at the bottom-left, im haveing some troubles reading ?
    Whats going there ?
    Just keep it up man! You be alright!

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blanq
    The latest update is cool! Good pencil-stuff as usual

Now, about that speedpaint that you posted, I agree with the others about the whole thing being a bit unrefined, and it's hard to get a good grasp of what's going on, if you know what I mean?
    Anyway, I hope that it was a fun experiment, and remember to do a lot of those! It's the only way that will make you better

Keep it up man ;D

btw: Why haven't you been on msn lately?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those pencils are really coming along nicely.

The speeds have a good sense of light and color, but some areas look overworked leading to visual overload. Good to hear you're using bigger brushes. The idea is stroke economy... if a stroke doesn't help in describing something, you could probably leave it out. In general, your strokes should get smaller and more detailed towards the central focus/idea of the speed. It takes some self restraint and I'm guilty of overworking too but leave uninportant stuff loose, big and undetailed... it's ok for these things .

On a second look, I do see finer strokes towards the central focus. Just keep at it and try to be mindful, discarding the strokes you don't need to make... also give thought to composition and value (both for tonal arrangement and lighting).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey blanq, thanks a lot for the legs! Hope to see more of those
    I'm loving those marker sketches, specially the one in the cafe.
    Speedies are good for a first try, the first one is very nice, composition and color-wise. The second one looks a bit messy. I am aware that speedies are supposed to be fast, but not necessarily rushed. But I'm sure you will improve in no time at those too Just try to be a bit more assertive with your strokes.
    Keep it up!
    entdroid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    back in form
    dile- bah ,man, you with your long comments, stressign me out

I want more general crits, like, apply texture here first, then lay down etc etc.
    the speedpaint was just a exercise to practice colour and brushes, nothing special.
    Just forget it, k?

zynic- hi, eh, AUstralian times are crazy compared to Swedens, go on at crazy times and you may catch me as i scan and update.

Meatsworthy- hi mate, thanks for dropping by.
    I get what you mean, more detail in the focal point. Im just figuring out compositions, and brushes, meh,
    thanks dude

big update, lot from life, head and whatever, sorry for poor replies, im tired

entdroid-legs for you!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck, you're just 14??? Dude, you ROCK. Keep drawing and nurturing your artskills. I love your patience to do all those studies. Great job, man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'nother horrible update
    sorry for the horrible scans
    thanks for looking
    I luv fishes
    oh, thanks cookiedough, you rock!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good studies lately.I think you need to think more about the 3d shapes when you draw those spaceship thumbnails.Check out Scott Robertson's stuff to understand what i mean.About the hands studies, you must study the internal structures, like the spheres and cilinders.Check out Hogart studies, i found them very useful.The creatures are looking much better, i see you started using ref, and thats good.But remember to draw them from different perspectives, not just the profile view
    Apart from that, you're doing a very good job, you asked for crits

keep em coming

ciao

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lol, ohwell, these last one rocks really hard, love the thumbnails! cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey blanq, nice updates.
    Good thing you are doing so many arms and legs, though maybe you shouldn't practice them alone so much. Most proportion issues don't come from the part itself, but of its relationship with the others... not sure if I'm being clear here, I hope you understand what I mean. Also, I'd like to see you take a quick, rushed sketch or thumbnail from imagination and take it to a more final drawing, 'cause now it looks like you're practicing the different part of the process separatedly and you should really try to merge them a bit more. Just my two cents, hope it helps!
    Keep it up!
    entdroid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rendering on David is great -- it's controlled but soft.

THe arm studies, with the knife and the gun, are excellent.

The skull study on this page has alll the contrast I wished that the first ones had. Great work.

YOu ask for em, so here's a couple of in-general crits. Sometimes your contour lines or sketchy lines aren't as skillfully handled as your rendering -- your linework can be too feathery/choppy. Since you often do things that are stylistically partially rendered and partially left sketchy, even more confident elegent lines will help out. Also, you sometimes have a tendency to render with a soft even ambient style lighting style instead of pushing for more dramatic lighting. This is especially true with your from-imagination style creatures and freeform shaped things.

Really, really great work.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey blanquish. I'm loving the hundreds of thumbnails. Try using your markers on those instead of hatching. I think the gnoll, entdroid and craig were spot on with their crits, pay attention to them! And people aren't always going to be nice when they crit you, better just get used to it now and learn to learn from them anyway. Sometimes it takes listening to a mean crit to really understand something. Hope that made sense. Keep it up, you're way ahead of the game for your age.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blanquish! Thanks for stopping by my book!
    Nice stuff! Loving those little space-ships. If I had to give a crit, it would probably be just general proportions. You know what your doing on a specific body part, but it get's a little wonky when you put everything together.
    Keep it up man!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the replies and crits guys!!
    Well lately Ive been neglecting my sb to because Ive been drawing so much. About 4-5+ hours a day, plus cheese
    Im not showing you all my work, only 60%
    I do a lot of bus/class gestures that disappear in time, who cares ey?
    Been doing a truck load of pen stuff, but its very messy and overlaps, Ill show you one to get the idea..

gnoll: your right, Im a one trick pony with a stiff leg and , thanks for the crits too!
    Dile: rock on dude:thanks
    Entdroid, LOL you are exactly right, perfectly!
    I was chatting to fooxoo on irc and she was telling me the same thing. Ive worked on it, I hope you can crit me on this batch..
    thanks!

Craig: Ive been working on linework a lot with pen stuff and it has improved, Give me crits on this batch, I wanna see if its better or in the wrong direction, cheers and THANKS for the critique!

Fishspawn: hey dude, Believe me, I dont see myself above any artist, and I take each crit seriously. Everyday I look in the mirror and say, your'e shit, youre shit.. and draw my balls out to improve.
    I believe the best way to achieve in art is to target your weak points, be honest and dont be full of yourself and dont have an ego.
    As the song says " the more you know, you know you dont know shit"
    Thats true, I remember being a bit cocky when I was younger, and its not a gattitude.
    Have you seen Wolfbane? He is 14 and his work is professional, and DIle has some mean badass skills as well. So I guess I'm just within the pack
    Cheers dude
    COJ- hey dude, see entroids reply!
    Workin on it

gestrues from head, ones marked with an # are ref'd, more in next update

edit: I tried messing around with the contrast in ps on the head study but cant reupload it: oops:

Last edited by blanquish; October 20th, 2006 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice study of david's head, though the darks can be pushed more in some areas to increase the 3D look. Play around on photocopies so you don't ruin the original nice gestures too

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool fish-thing!!! I like it

The little gestures are getting much much better, but you still got some short legs (some are kinda thin too), and also some long arms, so keep an eye on those. You'll get great at it in no time, I'm sure

Great job buddy! Hope to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reposting the image I took down for ps enhancements( correcting crap scan)

Oldnoobie- Its just the scan mate, the original is fine
    Entdroid- thanks, the fish looks terrible on scan, pfft crappy scanner
    thanks for the crit--
    which legs look short and stubby?, tell me so I know plz

more stuff soon

ugh, what a butt ugly scan
    Everything I do looks like a turd when turned digital, aaaghhhghgg

oh, and my birthdays coming up, went to the artstore to get some of my presents,
    Some more copic markers, a nice black pen and a whopping huge A2 sketchbook, lol, forget about scans
    I akso want to get the books- the skillful hunts man from design press, perspective for the comic book artist and the puddnhead gnomon dvd and some chocolate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got nothin to worry about bro. Everything takes time, you'll survive. Youre progress is awesome man. You're most definately in the right direction. What I do when I scan in a pencil image that may be too light(not that I do that with my method of painting) but I usually just up the contrast and darken it abit. That's if it's too light.

Pencil studies are going lovely my friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the right direction. When someone can look at something and really feel it and then look at every line and see it's a necessary and thoughtful part of the whole, it's pretty damned satisfying. I realize that I was talking about the contour/outline lines before, but I want to mention that the shading here has the utmost respect for the line http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1161265288 Wherever I can see the actual lines (arm? for example), you've made them appear thoughtful, intentional. I like it.

I realize the pen stuff is rough and quick, but look for straight lines that have a vibration to them. THat's the sort of feathery look that detracts. --> http://www.leversandpulleys.com/uploads/line.jpg

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the David head.
    As for specific problems in the figures, as you asked:
    #2, arms are long, legs are short (or maybe just one thing is short and makes the other look long ).
    #5 and #16's legs are thin compared to the body; or most probably the torso is too wide.
    In some like #19 the crotch is too close to the belly button, should be a tiny bit lower.
    The placement of nipples and belly buttons is very confusing (proportion-wise) in many of them (most nipples are too far apart), which makes some things look like they're off when they're not.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Keep up the hard work, dude, your dedication to improvement is truly admirable

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, still my favorite teen artist on CA.
    Apart from me.

Just kidding

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jake, thanks a bunch dude, I did mess with it in ps, but I can change the contrast on the scanner driver so Ill mess around with that.
    Thanks dude!!

craig
    that pen stuff was done with a crap pen in the car, just messing around with stuff. Thanks for dropping by!

entdroid, thanks a ton for the crits, theyre definately valid(and correct)
    Im gonna buy a new anatomy book soon which is a lot more advanced which should also help.
    lol@cheerleader smiley, Im gonan use it now!

Asoir, lol, means a lot dude, especially since their is some amazing talent on the boards that own my ass. THANKS

You know how I mentioned the lifedrawing/underlying structure course?
    Well, my parents think I'm too young to do that but instead Im doing a portrait drawing course starting next week.
    Its a 5 week course, once a week for 3 hours.
    Drawing from a model, should be fun and worthwhile, especially since its at a fantastic atelier where they know their stuff.

finished my 50 gestures(this batch is refd, the others are'nt)
    some life stuff, another "dynamic composition" page, some more life stuff.
    Oh, and Im starting a HUGE, michelangelo study from one of his paintings, started doing the lines in my A2 sb, should turn out good.

Plus Ive planned a portrait for a community gallery show on the large toned vellum paper I bought the other day.
    thanks for your comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    i like the first page, maybe do some more like that but with pen. Im not sure but when you'r drawing from your head it looks as if your doing the outline and then filling in all the details, try working from the inside out on some ,of course i could be totally wrong. I also think your hands colud do with a bit of work, do some studies!

keep it up .james.

idelwise pirate my sketchbook

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, show me the mini portrait!
    nice update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice SB.
    realy like your david portret. . post some more .

your creatures are getting better and better. Great WORK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates. My favorite is that page with the scattered furniture.
    Keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up with the studies etc.. get some more fluid lines in there, the shade work seems to be a little patchy, yet of an even value across the board. Maybe try working with a darker grade of pencil and keeping your lights/darks more defined/seperate.
    Looking real good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your work realy impress's me man. your over 4 years younger than me and your knowledge and study ethic kicks my arse. All i can say is i respect what your doing and i respect your quote from magic man, that guy says some pretty cool stuff somtimes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's great you'er working more with lines like in the first image, or with simple values like in the second one with the furniture studies, those are really good to understand shape and volume further. I always find your dedication really inspiring, keep at it!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2