Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Lil Jon @ War/in The Future

What's up, here's the piece I did few months ago....

Wasn't sure where to post it, so I guessed here....any feedback appreciated!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    oh boy, here we go.

Thanks
    What you mean?

Thanks
    can we see some wip images, or could you explain your work flow a bit on this image ?

Thanks
    I manipulated the whole thing, added it to my stock image I found and manipulated (yes, it's all legal)

Original -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 680 Posts
    Was this a photograph? It's what the title says - an accurately displayed theme. The dirt and grime almost camoflouge with Lil Jon's dental rows if you can call them that. This probably won't appeal to most of the members on here who are accustomed to viewing professional art without rap celebrities in them. You could have drawn a little girl to a backround of planetary destruction. Lil Jon is just radio billboard/fun teenage attraction type of art. I'm sure that's what you were aiming at.

Suggestions:

At the bottom left corner above Lil Jon's shoulder there are two misplaced blots of black circles. They could be parachutes - but you can't see them. Make darker outlines. He looks like he's had human excrement smeared all over his complexion. Pimpjuice or toilet remnants? I have a music website where you can post this in the Art section and recieve feedback. It's a rap forum. Please private message me if you're interested.

Keep doing you
    Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

Thanks
    so...you desaturated the original Lil Jon pic and added grainy, blurry airplanes to the backround?

Thanks
    ^^^ Naw man I don't do any of that simple shit lol

Good looks on feed vulgar, well, is not hip-hop art is art? Ya you guessed it right, they're chutes.....I guess some people here don't understand it?? Oh well...lol

Thanks
    By the way I also am planning to make it printed, and maybe frame it too or something

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 680 Posts
    well, is not hip-hop art is art?

^Can you rephrase that please?

I don't think that a "people don't understand me" approach is the right choice right now. I like the effort.
    Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

Thanks
    Yeah I was just saying, I meant that shouldn't be hip-hop art considered to be art too, you know? Oh ya, also what you said "radio billboard/fun teenage attraction type of art" that's not really exactly what it is, I was just going for something like different, like maybe something exciting or maybe even scary, know what I mean? So...please don't get it wrong, anyone lol - I was just fucking around with manipulation shit ya know

Thanks
    Well I think the problem that people are having with it is that it looks like you basically just threw a filter or something over the photograph and put a stock image of some bombers in the background and called it a day. Photomanipulation doesnt really do much for most of the members of these boards.
    Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    A filter has just been used only once - thanks for your feed, Jed

Thanks

Thanks
    Well, maybe if you look at this piece carefully and between original for at least a minute or somethin', but thanks
    Last edited by Y-S; September 6th, 2006 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    for what its worth this is a good way to learn photoshop a bit, it lets you play around with the tools and get some time in on the software.

as for the actual artistic nature of this image, I cant say what is art and what is not, but if you where to look around CA you will see this image is a bit like a fish out of water.

I would offer to you the following,

instead of maniping the image why not us it as ref and paint with the brushes get your skills up that way ?

this photo is some one elses work, and the level of tweeking with filters you have done is simply not enough to make it your own.

I hope you stick with it though and expand your portfoilo in the right direction.

Thanks
    i think its awesome, nice work, made me smile and laugh.

im also laughing at these "crits" ...

Thanks
    They aren't crits, and we know that.
    Here's a crit, if its needed that badly.

The image you've added to the sunglasses looks pasted on. I can see the edges, but I can't tell whats in it, so it's more confusing than anything. I would have airbrushed out the speckles in his hair, it looks unfinished or something, but that's probably because lil john has some nappy hair.
    The background looks pasted in, not just him standing in front of it. I don't know if thats what you were looking for, but it looks like old film footage, and lil john stands out too much from it. I wish he wasn't wearing so much NFL stuff, but that's not your fault. It just seems to take away any feeling of it. Crunk and war don't mix, at least not to me.
    You should also think about cutting down his shoulder on the right side. His hand is in tangent with his shoulder, which isn't good composition, but it's easily fixed.

hope that helps move it along.

Thanks
    Ok, first of all this needs to go into the photography section if anything. Its a photograph manipulation. There was zero rendering of any kind put into this "art". Honestly if anything this is just a practice. Im excited for you that youve discovered Photoshop and that you enjoy the filters. However putting something into greyscale and increasing the static in an image doesnt really constitute something that would normally be placed into Finally Finished. I like to get crunk just as much as the next guy but this piece is gonna need alot more crunk and alot more imagination not to recieve major flack from the forum.

Thanks
    Well since people seem to feel that what has been said so far wasnt really enough of a crit here we go. Photomanipulation or not, heres how I feel about it. Not much about this tells me lil Jon at War in the Future. Sure there is a plane in the back and what looks like an explosion reflected in his sunglasses but I cant help but ask "why is he going to war in a Falcons jersey waving his Crunk cup around?". About that reflection in the glasses as well, if he was looking at something it would be reflected in both lenses not just one. I cant really tell what kind of shadow you decided to add on his chest but it isnt really working that much. You said you wanted to make something exciting or scary and you didnt really accomplish it because the piece is honestly pretty boring. And going back to what seems to be the core of the whole discussion of this thing, I cant get around the fact that you really didnt seem to do much of anything to create this. It seems like maybe 20-30 minutes of work at a max. I think that Nexus pretty much summed everything else up.
    Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    if you didn't take this photo, its NOT your art.
    PERIOD.
    and if you DID take the photo, it belongs in the photography section.

quite frankly i feel rather insulted that you'd think this piece of shit photo manipulation belongs in the "finally finished" section. every fucking day at my job i do photo manipulation that would put this to shame. i could do this in under a minute in photoshop:
    ctrl + u ----- desaturate
    ctrl _ L ------ adjust the levels
    filters, add grain
    drop a little blurry plane in the bkg and an explosion reflected in his sunglasses

big fucking whoop. you're a joke dude.
    Last edited by TheDirtSyndicate; September 6th, 2006 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks
    You should post the two images next to each other. That way, at least for me, it would be easier to compare the two and notice any differences. Right now the only differences I notice between the two was mentioned a few times already.

Thanks
    this doesn't belong here. at all. on these forums that is.
    it doesn't belong in photography because he didn't take the photo, and he didn't draw or paint it... so yeah, take this shit somewhere else asshole. quit wasting our time.

Thanks
    Settle down Complete2... the guy isn't going to learn anything from anyone with you going off on him.

Sure you have valid issues... but there are more constructive ways to voice them.

I would like to see one of you kickass photo-manips though... great ones are amazing to look at. Just put it in the right section...

Wacomitis - fear of an empty bank account.

PORTFOLIO

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by complete2
    it doesn't belong in photography because he didn't take the photo, and he didn't draw or paint it... so yeah, take this shit somewhere else asshole. quit wasting our time.
    Though I agree with what you say, I disagree with the childish way you said it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by complete2
    My, such jealousy LOL I think somebody needs a nap

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Y-S
    ^^^ Naw man I don't do any of that simple shit lol

l
    I only ask because I still don't know what it is that you did with this image as a whole. I see you added something to the glasses, a few blood stains, but a lack of creative thought process makes most of us go "WTF?1"

It's as if you just dropped this on us without any sort of prior knowledge and are making us decipher everything. Art is about exploration, yes, but only when it's good. I really have no standing on this because I still am not quite sure what it is you've done or what your intentions were with this piece.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J_absinthe
    I only ask because I still don't know what it is that you did with this image as a whole. I see you added something to the glasses, a few blood stains, but a lack of creative thought process makes most of us go "WTF?1"

It's as if you just dropped this on us without any sort of prior knowledge and are making us decipher everything. Art is about exploration, yes, but only when it's good. I really have no standing on this because I still am not quite sure what it is you've done or what your intentions were with this piece.
    You just wrote pretty much everything I was thinking but too lazy to type. Yea, I defintitly agree with you.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I don't know where the hell to move this, but FF isn't the place for it.
    Not theCritique Center, because what is there really to crit?
    Not the Photography section, because it's none of the parts are original.
    Not the Photoshop section, because that seems to be more for technical questions than posting work.
    I'm throwing it in the Lounge until someone has a better idea.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I'm not sure this is the write site for this type of stuff, man.

You're going to be battling harsh content crits forever.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast