Thanks

MODO 202...How is it?

http://www.luxology.com/

Is this program worth getting? I sounds interesting and easy to use. Or should I go for learning Maya 7 or 3DS Max 8?

Thank you
    "It is ten percent how you draw, and ninety percent what you draw." - Andrew Loomis

Artastic's Sketchbook

Visit my new username and sketchbook at Thor's Hammer

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Modo is pretty cool. It's UV mapping tools are some of the easiest I've used. UV mapping is actually fun in modo, believe it or not. It does take a while to get use to the program but they provide a lot of training material with it. I think it was made by some Lightwave developers so if you are familar with that then it should be easier to learn. It can't do rigging and animation... yet! And the render they added in 201 is really easy to use.

Maya and 3DS have learning editions I believe and you can check them out, the packages are massive and can really take years to learn but I'm sure there are more tutorials out there for them than modo right now.

If you are just looking for a modeler, Wings3D is free and Silo has a second realease in beta. It has some amazing mesh displacment painting features for a package that costs around $100. I should also say it has a lot of other tools that make retopologizing geometry a lot easier too, like surface snapping and topology brush.

Good luck.
    Last edited by rogfa; September 7th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Rogfa. I want to learn 3d design, but it's hard finding tutorials that delve into the basics for the lamen. Once I have the basics, I'm sure that I can build from there with no problems.

Thank you again.
    "It is ten percent how you draw, and ninety percent what you draw." - Andrew Loomis

Artastic's Sketchbook

Visit my new username and sketchbook at Thor's Hammer

Thanks
    I think the biggest thing that holds people back from working in 3D is all the new terminology. Bevel, Extrude, Normals, Backface Culling and the list goes on. I used to feel you needed a math degree to do anything. Once you get started it's really handy to have Wikipedia open as you work to help with the "new language".

Also don't forget to look into Zbrush. It's really changing the way modelers and concept artists are working. Check out this link over at ZBrush Central. Neville Page created everything in Zbrush.