Sketchbook: morningbloom915's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: morningbloom915's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sirkenneth thanks for dropping by. Its always so encouraging to have comments to come back to.

So I didn't draw this weekend. We went to the local Renaissance faire and I took my camera. Got some awesome photos and some stuff I think I want to draw. Its always a nice feeling to have your own refs. Here's a few of the pics. I'll post more up as I get them edited.

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet photos! Lets see some drawings!! Really sweet photos actually. Props

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sir Kenneth, thanks for dropping by again. Glad you like the photos. Photography is a part of my day job and its something I'm really passionate about too. I'll keep updating, please keep stopping by. Feedback and the reminder to sketch are two things I really need.

Ok, so my life has been topsy turvy this past week or two. My kitchen started leaking. Turns out the whole wall had to be torn out. Thank God it was something the builder decided to cover in spite of the house being out of warranty. The stucco guys stapled right through a water line when they were building the house and it took 2 1/2 years for those staples to rust and it to start leaking. So I have no kitchen at all right now. It looks like something from ET.

Also, my husband just finished his enlistment so now he's jobless. Stress! But I'm glad we're done with that chapter of our lives too, so I'm not complaining.

Ok, so I took your advice Izzie and got some simple shapes. I was using an orange for my sphere, but it went bad. I went to the art supply store yesterday and found these wooden shapes for an absolute steal. I'm going to paint them white this week and keep working on the basics.

I also got a huge (huge to me at least 14x17) Strathmore Bristol Vellum sketchbook and an even bigger thing of Newsprint. I realized I was afraid of my sketchbook, afraid of making mistakes, afraid of drawing large and really pushing values, just afraid, so I got some inexpensive giant paper and a graphite stick and I'm trying to loosen up. Its still a battle. Why am I so scared of a blank piece of paper. Silly really.

Anyway, this cube is my first attempt drawing a shape from life, sitting in front of my. Trying really hard to focus on pushing my values more and smooth even tones. I took a photo of the cube too so that I could hopefully get some really helpful critiques. I think I shot the photo from a little different angle than I was sitting at though. I feel alright about it, but I'm probably going to go back and try to get the values closer to right. I think the right front face is a little too light?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so I took this photo in Italy of a paper lantern. I decided it would be a good exercise and more fun than a wooden shape tonight. I pulled out the brand new 18x24 Newsprint sketchbook (crap its huge) and laid out a grid.

I started really light just trying to get the curves and shapes right before I move on to values. See any glaring mistakes? I know a few areas just don't look right but I can't quite get where the error is.

Am I headed in the right direction at least?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, my kitchen is just starting to look like a kitchen again, thank goodness. Weird stuff in my life the last 2 weeks. My husband is supposed to be out of the Air Force and they keep changing their mind, "you're out" "just kidding, you're still in for a bit" "ok you're really out this time, we think." Lol, what a roller coaster. And on top of that I got selected for jury duty and am sitting on a week and a half long case.

Bizarre. I wish I could bring my sketchbook and sketch, but they don't want the jurors doing anything but taking notes or paying attention.

So, long excuses that I know are excuses, but I've just been too exhausted to add another thing. I started working on my mentoree stuff and this was the first exercise based on the sight size method. This was a struggle. I changed how I hold my pencil (like the introduction link shows, I've been holding it the normal writing way) and I had a really hard time controlling the strokes. I was seeing the angles correctly, but couldn't the hang of the arm control to get the pencil to move where I wanted it to. I think the straight line exercise will really help this, so I may come back and do this again after that one. My arm is tired.

In general when I compared the eyes with the traced version, the angles and curves were pretty close, just way too big. I knew they were too big when I was drawing them, but I was trying to get away from the scratchy unsure line and I found that working bigger helped with that and the lack of control.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DRAW!

Take a chance and get rid of the pencil and eraser for a night.

Make your mind let your hand do something imperfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB! I like the photo of the owl, looks awesome OUOUO!!
    keep it up with the studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree to amarryth: as soon as you don't try to get the line better and as soon as you decide, that mistake-lines are okay, you'll GET better. Mistakes are part of the process. I love Bargue - but in your drawing I saw the "Beware of the wrong sketching"-fear. Can't describe why, but try this: Draw one of the Bargue Eyes in a few seconds, force yourself to draw faster. If you did the sketching in a few seconds, you might see some mistakes maybe. Anyway: Draw it again! Faster!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 25