Sketchbook: morningbloom915's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my book!
    Great studies you have going on here. I definitely echo the recommendation for the Dodson book. It's nice and straightforward.

My only suggestion is work real loose with shapes in the beginning (like on the hand studies) and when everything is real solid, put in a tight line. Working it out rough and light at first will help steer you away from a fuzzy outline and toward more defined forms that you can more easily shade.

Good stuff. I'll be back :.

Last edited by max xiantu; October 11th, 2006 at 10:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh how I love crits! Thank you so much everyone for all your helpful advice. I promise I'm trying to take it to heart, even though sometimes in my studies it doesnt look like it.

Asoir and Hendric: Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Druvid: Thanks for stopping by. Some of these studies arent fully rendered and I think thats why they are lacking in value. I'm still trying really hard to work on pushing values in my drawings. It was much easier in the car drawings because they were from a photograph whereas most of the rest has been from life. I'll keep plugging away at it.

art: thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying really hard to get a solid grounding in graphite/pencil before I move on to charcoal and paint. I still feel like my drawing really needs work. There are so many things I'm just not comfortable at. I am itching to make a mess of my easel though. Maybe this weekend.

Taves: Thanks so much! As I stated above, these hands I was mostly focusing on getting the shapes right. I went back and put in value trying to see it as shapes. I really appreciate all your effort doing that quick example. It really does help. I'll keep this in mind on the next study.

Max: Staying loose in the beginning is one of my biggest struggles. I think I'm going to do some drawings just breaking everything down into different shapes. Post that, and then refine it more and post the rest. I think if I force myself to do it that way, I'll have more success. I'll certainly check out that book.

Now, I did another hand study before I visited my sb again, so its much like the first. And I fought myself all over the lines. Can you tell! What a mess. I may have to start working in pen.

Then after visiting the sb, I went back and tried to add some weight to the original hand study. Is this better?

Attached Images Attached Images    

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Admire your dedication, Fineart is a fantastic place to try some more studies.
    Would love to see more!
    peace~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start to your sketchbook morningbloom. My main crit would be to before you draw really just look at the object/subject of what you want to draw. Really observe how different surfaces pick up light differently. Another thing to try out is to define form without value but not just drawing contours because this makes a drawing feel flat. Try not to draw the contours, but draw the gesture of the underlining form. Basically drawing inside out. Dont be afraid to use reference, but don't just copy the picture learn from it.

Then once you start rendering, dont render everything equally pick and choose places where you want the emphasis and focal point to be. And dont be afraid to push your values.

Hope this helps a bit, keep drawing and posting up!!

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rendering on the second hand is got something going on. Try shading with the side of the pencil, it's a bit easier to blend tones.

Want to do a sheet of hand gestures with me? 1-2 minutes a piece, get the whole hand in, it gently forces you to be loose. Let me know :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, did 1, 2, and 5 min hand gestures with max xiantu. Was tough. I learned a ton from it though. Its helpful to set the time limit. It keeps me focusing on the big pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real nice job!
    I like the basic shape breakdown.
    I'd like to see you get even looser though, perhaps try the Nicolaides technique where you don't pick up the pencil.
    Maybe we can do a round two :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

-nice studies & interesting sketches...... keep continuing........ CHEEERS!.....

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments. It really is encouraging. Sat down and worked on my bargue some more. I think it will be much easier to plow ahead with this now that I've actually gotten something on the page. Its so hard/tedious when you first start. Tell me if you see any errors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the bargue should really help you to see forms better, and its a lot of fun to draw severed limbs. nice start on the above.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, you're improving and doing the right things you need to do in order to get better. Keep working on the hands, you tend to draw them very curvy, especially the fingers, they actually can have hard edges to them when bent. The foot in the last post was excellent.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work. cant wait to see more of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if it gets to be a month before you post next, i'm going to be very sad.

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I agree with N1va most You're definatly on the right track. Keep drawing faces and hands from life, and shading balls and shapes.

I can also tell you to work on your line quality. Try to make your line thicker and thinner depending on where the highlight and shadow is, instead of the same shade all the way around.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back! Life got hectic and a lot of my free time stuff had to go, but got back into it tonight. I wont let it go so long next time between updates.

David: Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm blown away by your work so having you comment here is a good reminder to keep drawing.

n1va: Thanks. I didnt notice how round some of them were until you pointed that out. I think it has something to do with how quickly I was trying to get those onto paper. I'll keep practicing them.

mj: Thanks for the comment. Keep stopping by, comments with me not updating make me feel guilty and that makes me draw.

max: Never fear! I'm here! And updating, albeit a small update.

Chiko: Thanks, my line weight is something I've just recently started paying attention to. I have a lot to learn as far as that goes. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ok, while cleaning out old junk to make moving in Jan easier, I found some of my older drawings. I did these on regular computer paper with a mech pencil about 2 1/2 years ago. Being broke and in college didnt keep me from drawing. Both were done from a photograph. The girl was from a very detailed photo, and the guy was from a really tiny, terrible quality photo, but all the fabric folds were fun to do. Just thought I'd show you some oldies since I found them.

Worked on the bargue some more. Not much noticable difference, but I went back and really checked some of my iffier outline areas. Feel free to point out anything that looks off. Those toes were driving me nuts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. nice sketchbook! i like your light-studies on the basic geometric figures. great way to learn how to "see" forms. You can use that knowledge to do more advanced things. maybe a body?
    As i can see you have a great sense of values. But I think u can push the blackness a little further. maybe som heavy outlines on the side that dont have any light.
    Great start on the foot too!
    keep it up
    /mickey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no talk. You are getting better. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool stuff, always cool to see local artists, I started getting into drawing a year ago, and about 3 months ago I have been focusing down on it instead of other crap.

Do you go to art school or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great! another las vegas artist. keep up the good work and draw draw draw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff, its really cool especially the hand gesture practice!!!

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that you should work on the quantity of your work. The more you do the more you get out of it. You should have that foot done already; just teasing ya. It will start off slow in the beginning, but as you do more you will benifit from it. Its better to fail in many attempts than to have a successful attempt, you will learn more out of fail attempts and growth comes. Working on one image will stunt the growth because your hung up on creating a successful drawing. You want to draw that feet over and over to get an understanding how the forms of the foot relate to each other and get an understanding of value in each attempt. What you are trying to do is know and understand the form, so for instance, if you are interested in character design, you can draw up this character in no time flat. Check out some of ryan churches works, he speed paints and is prolly up to 2 hours of work. That's where you want to go with your work, not necessarily the style but the speed you want, Especially if you want to work as a commercial artist, concept artist, production artist, Illlustrator! There are several others you can look at for inspirational purposes like: J.C. Leyendecker, Norman Rockwell, Dean Cornwell, to your living Masters like: Phil Hale, Richard Schmid, Frank Frazetta, Craig Mullins, William Whitaker(he used to post here).
    Hope this helps ya! Good luck with your growth! XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sketch with the kid with the sex is really good. Make more like that one.

The portrait above is ok, you should add more shadows to it though, don't be scared to up the contrast. The reason I say this is because I'm not sure where the light is in that pic, I'm guessing straight above but I'm just not sure.

Keep posting, don't give up!

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update. You have some good character in your lines.
    I got some beef on this one http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1163486369

You did such a great job on the folds in the shirt, but the sax got all flat. Looks like a good opportunity missed.

I wanna seem more! And finish that bargue already

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I don't think I was missed much, but I'm back. My fingers are itching to draw so I jumped back into it. I've been jumping around in some of the mentoring threads doing the assignments so these are some of those exercises.

Ok, so heres my thoughts on these.

1. Not terrible but the fingers seem too small. It was my first time working on a toned page and that really threw me off. Foreshortening on the fingers didn't work so well. I really think I just got frustrated and quit before I fully fleshed it out. The lines are from one of the mentoring assignments. Its hard drawing straight lines.

2. More straight line practice going from point to point. Again, straight lines are tough.

3. Straight line practice again. Obviously one of the directions is a little more difficult on me.

4. Sphere. Tough time getting the graphite smooth. Seems so splotchy. I think I did alright with the shading. I've been trying really hard to get a good range of values. I tend to shy away from darker values so I laid down the darkest I could get on the paper and tried to smooth from there.

5. Took the above sphere into photoshop and blurred it to see how it would have looked if I got it smooth. It looks much better smooth. I really like the reflected light now that its smoothed out.

6. More shape practice. I feel like this sphere worked out a little better. I really love the shadow on the pyramid for some reason.

Feedback?? please I love criticism soooo much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a 2 point perspective study. It ended up looking like the grocery store to me so I turned the top one into a hanging produce sign, hah! I'm really glad I did this. I've known about 2 point perspective but I dont think I've ever actually sat down and drawn out the lines. Really healthy exercise for me. See any errors??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Playing with spheres and stuff. Working on stuff from some loomis books. Next I decided to draw this coffee cup on my desk. I took a picture and sort of painted over it in photoshop trying to boil it down to simpler shapes, light and dark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Cool sketchbook-there is a lot of improvement already. Keep drawing-especially from life. The cast copy is a good idea also. Focus on the whole and try to stick to a process. You will get there! Go go go!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not giving up on studies just because it isn't exactly right is a hard thing but taking the time to rework something will help in the long run.

The basic shapes are great to study for both learning form and shading. If you can gather up simple items and light them so you can really observe the light/darks on them. A sphere/ball is pretty simple to find, for a cube a small box of tissues works well. For a cylinder a can or toilet paper tube work well, and a cone is probably easiest made from paper. Another tip-it's easiest to see transition in value on white so if you can use white/light objects or spray paint them.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
    Not giving up on studies just because it isn't exactly right is a hard thing but taking the time to rework something will help in the long run.

The basic shapes are great to study for both learning form and shading. If you can gather up simple items and light them so you can really observe the light/darks on them. A sphere/ball is pretty simple to find, for a cube a small box of tissues works well. For a cylinder a can or toilet paper tube work well, and a cone is probably easiest made from paper. Another tip-it's easiest to see transition in value on white so if you can use white/light objects or spray paint them.
    Izzie, thanks for stopping by! What studies do you think I should go back and rework. I'm perfectly willing to rework things.

Painting the shapes white is an awesome idea! I never thought of that. I actually had all these things sitting right next to my sketchbook when I came in here to check what was going on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25